Press Release on Rapid Survey on Children (RSOC) 2013-14
• A Rapid Survey on Children (RSOC) was commissioned by the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development across 29 States during November, 2013 with technical and financial assistance from UNICEF India. The key objective of the survey was to assess the situation of children and women in the country with special emphasis on access and utilization of services under the ICDS Scheme and to provide baseline data for the restructured ICDS Scheme. *****
• The field work of the survey was undertaken during November 2013 to March 2014. The draft National and State level fact sheets in respect of key indicators on maternal and child health and nutrition, and access and usage of ICDS services were prepared during August 2014. The fact sheets were shared with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) and the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) for their comments and views on the survey findings as well as on the methodological aspects.
• Both the Ministries have provided their comments. While the MoHFW has noted that the RSOC can prove to be an important source for 12th Plan’s mid-term review, the MoSPI has raised their concerns on the sampling design and methodology adopted for the survey, especially with respect to the state level estimates.
• MWCD constituted a Committee led by MoSPI, with MWCD and MoHFW as members to look into the data, processes and related issues on State level survey findings. Further, it was decided that a technical sub-group consisting of members from MoSPI, MWCD, NITI Aayog and MoHFW would review the State results.
• Meanwhile, to deliberate on the methodology and results of RSOC and its comparison with NFHS-3 (2005-06), Secretary, MWCD took a review meeting on 23rd June, 2015 with the representatives of UNICEF Team, NITI Aayog and MoHFW. In the meeting, it was considered to disseminate the national level fact sheet on key indicators after its review by the two Ministries and NITI Aayog. Further, it was decided to expedite examination of data, processes and related issues on State level survey findings by the technical sub-group constituted by MoSPI.
• The sub-group constituted by MoSPI met on 7th July, 2015. The next meeting of the sub-group is proposed to be held on 14th July, 2015.