Press Information Bureau
Government of India
Ministry of Textiles
08-May-2013 14:06 IST
Social Security for Handloom Weavers


As a social security measure, the Government of India has been implementing Handloom Weavers Comprehensive Welfare Scheme for handloom weavers with the following components:-



(i)                Health Insurance Scheme for health insurance cover and

(ii)       Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana for life insurance cover


Health Insurance Scheme covers not only the weaver but his wife and two children also. It covers all pre-existing diseases as well as new diseases and a substantial provision has been kept for OPD. The annual limit per family is Rs. 15000/- out of which Rs.7500/- is for OPD. Besides handloom weavers, ancillary Handlooms workers also eligible to be covered under the scheme.  80% of the premium is paid by the Government of India while the remaining 20% is paid by the State Government/ Weaver with a minimum contribution of Rs.50/- to be paid by the Weaver.



Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana scheme provides insurance cover to handloom weavers in case of natural and accidental death as also disability.  This scheme also provides scholarship upto two children of the weavers under “Shiksha Sahayog Yojana  to the extent of Rs.300/- per quarter per child to students studying in standard IX to XII for a maximum period of 4 years or till they complete XII standard (whichever event occurs earlier) to children of handloom weavers who are covered under MGBBY. The benefits of the scheme are as mentioned below:-



Existing   amount (Rs.)

Natural death


Accidental death


Total Disability


Partial disability




Besides, for the overall development of handloom sector and handloom weavers, the Government of India has taken various policy initiatives and schemes interventions like cluster approach, technological up-gradation, marketing promotion, revival of viable and potentially viable societies through loan waiver and recapitalization assistance, availability of subsidized yarn and credit, besides, providing health and life insurance cover to the handloom weavers.  The financial assistance towards various inputs is available under the following handloom scheme:-


(i)                Integrated Handlooms Development Scheme.

(ii)       Marketing & Export Promotion Scheme.

(iii)     Handloom Weaver’s Comprehensive Welfare Scheme.

(iv)      Diversified Handlooms Development Scheme.

(v)       Mill Gate Price Scheme.

(vi)      Revival, Reform and Restructuring package as well as Comprehensive Package for handloom sector.


            This information was given by the Minister of State in the Ministry of Textiles, Smt. Panabaaka Lakshmi in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha today.