English Release 25-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Speech by the President of India
Shri Pranab Mukherjee on the Occasion of Release of a Commemorative Postage Stamp on
- President of India Releases a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Anagarika Dharmapala
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi’s address at the ceremony held to rededicate, Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre, in Mumbai
- PM rededicates Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre in Mumbai
- PM greets the Nation on auspicious occasion of Bhai Dooj
- Election Commission
- Press Note
- Schedule for bye-election to fill casual vacancies in the Legislative Assembly of NCT of Delhi – Regarding.
- Schedule for General Elections to the Legislative Assemblies of Jharkhand and Jammu & Kashmir.
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- Minister for Communications & IT and Law & Justice, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad Spoke at the Release Function of a Postage Stamp Commemorating Srimath Anagarika Dharmapala, the Great Buddhist Thinker and Visionary from Sri Lanka
- Ministry of Finance
- President of India
to Inaugurate Three Day Accountants’ General Conference on Monday
- Min of Home Affairs
- Observance of the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas on 31st October
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Dr. Jitendra Singh says Indian bureaucrats need constant re-orientation as they face new challenges every day
Ministry of Home Affairs05-December, 2006 17:27 IST
|Government takes steps to ease overcrowding in Tihar Jail|
The Government has taken several steps to ease overcrowding in Tihar Jails, New Delhi. These steps include construction of new jails; holding Special Courts to try the cases involving petty offences; compiling of list of under-trial prisoners who were granted bail but could not be released and sending such lists to District & Sessions Judge for considering their cases on relaxed surety conditions; and providing legal aid by the Legal Aid Advocates and nominated counsels deputed by the Delhi Legal Services Authority to advise the prisoners on moving appropriate applications before the High Court for their early release.
There were 11978 inmates (11497 male and 481 female) in Tihar Jails as on 29th November, 2006 as against the total sanctioned capacity of 5200.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Home, Shri S. Regupathy in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha today.
(Release ID :22824)