English Release 23-April 2014
- Election Commission
Overall Facts at A Glance of 6th Polling Day on 24th April, 2014
- Facts at a Glance: Jammu & Kashmir (6th Poll Day)
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Production Performance of Oil & Natural Gas sector for the month of March, 2014
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket increased to US$ 107.08 per bbl on 22.4.2014
- Ministry of Railways
- Mobile and Desktop APP on Windows 8.0 for National Train Enquiry System (NTES) Commenced
Ministry of Home Affairs05-December, 2006 17:27 IST
|Government takes steps to ease overcrowding in Tihar Jail|
The Government has taken several steps to ease overcrowding in Tihar Jails, New Delhi. These steps include construction of new jails; holding Special Courts to try the cases involving petty offences; compiling of list of under-trial prisoners who were granted bail but could not be released and sending such lists to District & Sessions Judge for considering their cases on relaxed surety conditions; and providing legal aid by the Legal Aid Advocates and nominated counsels deputed by the Delhi Legal Services Authority to advise the prisoners on moving appropriate applications before the High Court for their early release.
There were 11978 inmates (11497 male and 481 female) in Tihar Jails as on 29th November, 2006 as against the total sanctioned capacity of 5200.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Home, Shri S. Regupathy in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha today.
(Release ID :22824)