English Release 20-August 2014
- Min of New and Renewable Energy
- PM to Dedicate 765 kV Ranchi-Dharamjaygarh-Sipat Inter-Regional Transmission Line ;
- Prime Minister to Dedicate Mouda Super Thermal Power Project to the Nation in Nagpur Tomorrow
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket decreased to US$ 99.94 per bbl on 19.08.2014
Ministry of Home Affairs05-December, 2006 17:27 IST
|Government takes steps to ease overcrowding in Tihar Jail|
The Government has taken several steps to ease overcrowding in Tihar Jails, New Delhi. These steps include construction of new jails; holding Special Courts to try the cases involving petty offences; compiling of list of under-trial prisoners who were granted bail but could not be released and sending such lists to District & Sessions Judge for considering their cases on relaxed surety conditions; and providing legal aid by the Legal Aid Advocates and nominated counsels deputed by the Delhi Legal Services Authority to advise the prisoners on moving appropriate applications before the High Court for their early release.
There were 11978 inmates (11497 male and 481 female) in Tihar Jails as on 29th November, 2006 as against the total sanctioned capacity of 5200.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Home, Shri S. Regupathy in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha today.
(Release ID :22824)