English Release 31-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President of India congratulates Pankaj Advani on achieving 12th world title in Leeds
- President pays floral tributes to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of PM’s address at 'Run For Unity' at Rajpath on the occasion of Rashtriya Ekta Diwas
- PM receives personal belongings of Sardar Patel, on his 139th birth anniversary
- Sidelights – Run For Unity Event at Rajpath, New Delhi
- PM flags off, joins Run For Unity on Sardar Patel Jayanti
- PM remembers Smt. Indira Gandhi on her Punya Tithi
- PM pays tributes to Sardar Patel on his birth anniversary
- Min of Commerce & Industry
- Department of Commerce calls for creative participation for India’s participation at Hannover Messe
- Min of Home Affairs
- Home Secretary Administers Rashtriya Ekta Diwas Pledge
- “Police Stations should become Temples of Justice,” says Rajnath Singh
- Min of Parliamentary Affairs
- Standing Committee on Railways invites suggestions on Railways(Amendment) Bill, 2014
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants) Examination, 2014 Declaration of Result of Written Part
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 84.77 per bbl on 30.10.2014
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Storage Status of 85 Important Reservoirs of the Country as on October 30, 2014
Ministry of Human Resource Development02-January, 2007 18:9 IST
|Bipan Chandra and Andre Beteille Appointed as National Research Professors|
|Government has appointed Prof. Bipan Chandra, an eminent historian, and Prof. Andre Beteille, an eminent Social Scientist as National Research Professors in recognition of their unique contribution in their respective fields. The scheme was instituted in 1949 to honour distinguished academics and scholars in recognition of their valuable contribution to knowledge. Persons of real eminence who have attained the age of 65 years and who have made outstanding contribution in their respective fields and are still capable of further productive research are considered for appointment as National Research Professors. Their appointments have been made on the recommendation of the Committee under the National Research Professorship Scheme, comprising the Prime Minister and the Minister of Human Resource Development, Minister of Finance and Minister of Home Affairs.
In the past, various eminent persons such as Sir C.V.Raman, Dr. S.N. Bose, Shri Satyajit Ray, Ustad Bismillah Khan and Pandit Ravi Shankar have been appointed as National Research Professors. Recently, Prof. M.S. Valiathan, a renowned Cardiac Surgeon, Ms. Mahasweta Devi, an eminent Litterateur, Shri Habib Tanvir, a well known Theatre personality, Prof. C.N.R. Rao, eminent
Scientist in the field of Chemistry, Prof. Obaid Siddiqui, eminent Biologist, Prof. C.S.Seshadri, an eminent Mathematician, Dr. M.V. Pylee, noted exponent of political jurisprudence, Dr. Veena Mazumadar, eminent sociologist and Prof. N.S.Ramaswamy, eminent Management Expert have been appointed as National Research Professors.
Prof. Bipan Chandra is one of the foremost historians of modern India. He was born in 1928 at Kangra, Himachal Pradesh. After completing his schooling, he graduated from Forman Christian College, Lahore in 1946. He then went to do his graduation and post graduation at Stanford University, California (1948-49). Later he completed his Ph.D from Delhi University in 1963. Prof. Chandra has worked for years on modern Indian history, particularly the nature of colonialism in India, the nature and growth of communalism, and, above all, the struggle for independence. He has also written extensively at the popular level on Indian history and politics. Prof. Chandra has served in many honorary positions including President, Indian History Congress and Member, University Grants Commission. He was also one of the editors of the journal ‘Enquiry’.
Born in 1934, Andre Béteille is an Indian sociologist and writer. He is particularly well known for his studies of ‘caste in South India’ He was a Professor of Sociology at the Delhi School of Economics at the University of Delhi till 2003. He has, in the past, taught at Oxford University, Cambridge University, University of California (Berkeley), the University of Chicago, and the London School of Economics. Prof. Béteille has been the author of numerous books and essays. Some of his prominent publications include ‘Sociology: Essays on Approach and Method’, ‘Chronicles of Our Time’; ‘ The Backward Classes of Contemporary India’’The Idea of Natural Enequality and Other Essays’ etc.
(Release ID :23756)