English Release 24-May 2013
- Presidents Secretariat
- We must find answers for reversing the degradation of values, says President
- President’s Buddha Purnima Greetings
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets Citizens on Buddha Purnima
- Prime Minister's Office
- Prime Minister’s Speech at SEBI’s Silver Jubilee Celebration
- PM Greets the Nation on Buddha Purnima
- Min of Agriculture
- Kharif Sowing Crosses 60 Lakh Hectare
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- NIELIT, Srinagar will contribute to the growth of J&K, Dr. Killi Kruparani
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakram – Saving Mothers and Newborns
- Azad concludes two-day visit to Sweden
- Min of Human Resource Development
- Block Institutes of Teachers Education to be Established in 196 SC/ST/Minority Concentrated Districts
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Petroleum Minister Reputes allegations regarding Proposed Gas Price Revision
- Production Performance of Oil & Natural Gas sector for the month of April, 2013
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket declines sharply to
99.37/US$ bbl on 23.5.2013
- Min of Power
- Hindi Advisory Committee of Ministry of Power for effective implementation of Official Language
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Storage of Important Reservoirs in the Country (as on 25 April 2013)
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
Conference of Ministers and Secretaries of States And Union Territories in-Charge of Sports & Youth Affairs Begins in New Delhi
- Planning Commission
UIDAI launches Aadhaar based Iris Authentication, eKYC, One Time PIN New Services and Permanent Enrolment Centres
Ministry of Defence31-March, 2007 14:2 IST
|Air Chief Marshal FH Major takes over as The Chief of Air Staff.|
|Air Chief Marshal Fali Homi Major took over as the New Chief of Indian Air Force from Air Chief Marshal SP Tyagi today, who retires after 43 years of illustrious service.|
In his message to the IAF, Air Chief Marshal FH Major said “it must be remembered that in our march of progress, we must remain in line with National goals & in concert with the other Services”. He also urged the air warriors that “we must work towards transforming the IAF into an aerospace force, for its is only through the employment of space based applications that we can be more effective beyond our shores”.
Air Chief Marshal Major further said “hardware gives us the capabilities, but it is the people that can give us the ‘winning edge’. I urge all, to do their duty, pursue excellence………….”
Born on May 29, 1947, Air Chief Marshal Major was commissioned into the Air Force on December 31, 1967 as a helicopter pilot. During his long and distinguished service spanning little over 39 years, he has worked in a variety of Command, Staff and Instructional appointments. He has the distinction of having 7765 hours of flying experience to his credit. He commanded a helicopter unit, which took part in operations in Siachen (world's highest battlefield) and commanded a Mi-17 squadron during the IPKF operations in Sri Lanka, for which he was decorated with the Vayu Sena Medal(Gallantry).
Air Chief Marshal Major was awarded Shaurya Chakra for undertaking a very dangerous and exacting rescue mission on October 14, 1992 at Timber Trail in Parwanoo, Himachal Pradesh, where he along with his crew, winched eleven stranded tourists out from a cable car, by hovering precariously close to the set of cables that ran above it.
Besides being a Fellow of the National Defence College, New Delhi, and the Army War College, Mhow, he attended a variety of courses like Junior Commanders' Course, Jungle and Snow Survival Course and Higher Command Courses. He had the distinction of overseeing tri-Service operations including the Tsunami operations, during his tenure as Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Operations) at HQ IDS. He was appointed as AOC-in-C, Eastern Air Command in September 2005, where the Indo-US Joint Air Exercises at Kalaikunda in 2005 were successfully conducted under his leadership.
He was awarded Param Vishist Seva Medal (PVSM) in January 2006 and Ati Vishist Seva Medal (AVSM) in January 2002. He is one of the Honorary ADCs of the Supreme Commander.
Air Chief Marshal Major is married to Mrs Zareen and has one son and one daughter.
(Release ID :26545)