English Release 1-November 2014
- Prime Minister's Office
- Prime Minister’s Kerala Piravi Greetings
- PM greets People of Madhya Pradesh on State’s Foundation Day
- PM greets People of Haryana on Haryana Day
- PM greets the people of Karnataka on Kannada Rajyotsava
- PM greets the people of Chhattisgarh on their Foundation Day
- Min of Agriculture
- Radha Mohan Singh stresses need of taking Indian Agriculture to newer heights
- Min of Defence
- Air Marshal B Suresh Takes Over as Senior Air Staff Officer Western Air Command, IAF
- Min of Environment and Forests
- Illegal Wildlife Products to be incinerated at National Zoological Park tomorrow
- Ministry of Finance
- Change in Tariff Value of Crude Palm Oil, RBD Palm Oil, Others – Palm Oil, Crude Palmolein, RBD Palmolein, Others – Palmolein, Crude Soyabean Oil, Brass Scrap (All Grades), Poppy Seeds, Areca Nuts, Gold and Silver Notified
- Term of the Fourteenth Finance Commission Extended by Two Months up to 31st December, 2014
- Min of Home Affairs
- Union Home Minister Rajnath singh says the values are equally important along with knowledge
Ministry of Defence31-March, 2007 14:2 IST
|Air Chief Marshal FH Major takes over as The Chief of Air Staff.|
|Air Chief Marshal Fali Homi Major took over as the New Chief of Indian Air Force from Air Chief Marshal SP Tyagi today, who retires after 43 years of illustrious service.|
In his message to the IAF, Air Chief Marshal FH Major said “it must be remembered that in our march of progress, we must remain in line with National goals & in concert with the other Services”. He also urged the air warriors that “we must work towards transforming the IAF into an aerospace force, for its is only through the employment of space based applications that we can be more effective beyond our shores”.
Air Chief Marshal Major further said “hardware gives us the capabilities, but it is the people that can give us the ‘winning edge’. I urge all, to do their duty, pursue excellence………….”
Born on May 29, 1947, Air Chief Marshal Major was commissioned into the Air Force on December 31, 1967 as a helicopter pilot. During his long and distinguished service spanning little over 39 years, he has worked in a variety of Command, Staff and Instructional appointments. He has the distinction of having 7765 hours of flying experience to his credit. He commanded a helicopter unit, which took part in operations in Siachen (world's highest battlefield) and commanded a Mi-17 squadron during the IPKF operations in Sri Lanka, for which he was decorated with the Vayu Sena Medal(Gallantry).
Air Chief Marshal Major was awarded Shaurya Chakra for undertaking a very dangerous and exacting rescue mission on October 14, 1992 at Timber Trail in Parwanoo, Himachal Pradesh, where he along with his crew, winched eleven stranded tourists out from a cable car, by hovering precariously close to the set of cables that ran above it.
Besides being a Fellow of the National Defence College, New Delhi, and the Army War College, Mhow, he attended a variety of courses like Junior Commanders' Course, Jungle and Snow Survival Course and Higher Command Courses. He had the distinction of overseeing tri-Service operations including the Tsunami operations, during his tenure as Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Operations) at HQ IDS. He was appointed as AOC-in-C, Eastern Air Command in September 2005, where the Indo-US Joint Air Exercises at Kalaikunda in 2005 were successfully conducted under his leadership.
He was awarded Param Vishist Seva Medal (PVSM) in January 2006 and Ati Vishist Seva Medal (AVSM) in January 2002. He is one of the Honorary ADCs of the Supreme Commander.
Air Chief Marshal Major is married to Mrs Zareen and has one son and one daughter.
(Release ID :26545)