English Release 1-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Message to the Nation from the President on the eve of Gandhi Jayanti
- President Expresses condolences over loss of lives due to collision of trains near Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh
- President’s Durga Puja Greetings
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets Citizens on Dussehra
- Vice President Confers ‘Sir Ross Masood Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Leadership, Education, Community & Public Service-2014’ to Shri Saiyid Hamid
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM sanctions ex-gratia for victims of train accident near Gorakhpur District, Uttar Pradesh
- PM expresses condolences over loss of lives due to collision of trains near Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh
- Text of Remarks by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
at the Joint Press Briefing with President Barack Obama
- English Rendering of Remarks by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the Joint Press Briefing with President Barack Obama
- Joint Statement during the visit of Prime Minister to USA
- Min of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
- Ram Villas Paswan undertakes surprise checks to see cleanliness in his Ministry
- Min of Defence
- Defence Accounts Department Celebrates Its 267th Anniversary
- Air Marshal Jajgeet Singh takes over as
Air Officer-in-Charge maintenance at Air Headquarters
- 24th Edition of Ind-Indo Corpat Concludes
- Min of Earth Science
- Swachh Bharat Campaign at Ministry of Earth Sciences Launched by Dr. Jitendra Singh Amid A Call to Participate in the Cleanliness Drive Whole Heartedly
- Ministry of Finance
- Different Departments of Ministry of Finance to take Coordinated actions to make Swatchh Bharat Campaign a Great Success; Action Plan Drawn to keep the Office Premises Neat and Clean; Goal is to Provide an Aesthetic and Congenial Working Atmosphere for one and all
- Due Date of Deposit of Tax Deducted at Source/Tax Collected at Source during the Month of September, 2014 extended from 7th October, 2014 to 10th October, 2014
- Repayment of 7.56% Government Stock 2014 and 11.83% Government Stock 2014 on November 03, 2014 and November 12, 2014 Respectively
- Min of Home Affairs
- Cleanliness Drive in the Ministry of Home Affairs Under ‘Swachh Bharat’ Campaign
- PIO Card valid for Life Time
- Show Cause Notices to Associations for not Filing Mandatory Annual Return
- Min of Human Resource Development
- Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani Releases a Handbook –
Swachh Bharat Swachh Vidyalaya
- Min of New and Renewable Energy
MOU Signed for First Ever Offshore Wind Power Project in India
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Early closure of some Government Offices today
- The President of India authorises Shri Rajiv as Central Vigilance Commissioner
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Daily Crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 95.34/bbl on 30.09.2014
- Min of Power
- Message of Piyush Goyal on the Eve of Launch of
“Swachh Bharat Mission”
- Power, Coal, MNRE PSUs to Construct 50,000 Toilets in Schools
- Ministry of Railways
- Railway Minister Expresses his Profound Grief Over the Loss of Innocent Lives in Train Accident Near Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh
- Min of Science & Technology
- Dr. Jitendra Singh launches campaign of ‘Swatchh Bharat Mission’ in the Ministry of Science and Technology
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- ‘Punarjagaran’- Mass Awakening Campaign for youth to be launched on 2nd October, 2014
- India’s Performance on Day 12 of Asian Games 2014
- Min of Social Justice & Empowerment
- Thaawar Chand Gehlot flags off Walkathon on the International Day of Older Persons
Prime Minister's Office31-October, 2007 19:43 IST
|PM’s Address at the Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration|
|The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh addressed the 22nd Indira Gandhi national integration award function here today.
The following is the text of the Prime Minister’s address on the occasion
“Each year we meet here to pay tribute to the memory of our great beloved leader, Indiraji, the greatest daughter of India and honour men and women made in her mould. The Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration is a fitting tribute to the memory of our beloved Indiraji.
Indiraji was a living embodiment of the values that define our nation and our Republic. Through her martyrdom, she helped embed those values deep in our hearts and minds. Her supreme sacrifice was in the cause of national integration. On this solemn occasion, we gratefully recall her legacy of nation building and respectfully pay our homage to her.
For Indiraji, national integration was not merely an emotional issue. Nor did she worry only about communal harmony. Indiraji had a holistic view of national integration. She viewed national integration as a process of bridging the many divides in our nation and in our society. This is the essence of the Indian view of national integration.
I am delighted that today, two personalities serving the cause of communal harmony have been selected for this prestigious Award. I congratulate Dr. J.S. Bandukwalla and Professor Ram Puniyani. Both of them have dedicated their lives to promote solidarity and understanding among different faiths. They have done so by fighting communalism and communal forces. They have taken steps to improve the social and economic conditions of minorities. What they have done reflect the values and vision of Indiraji.
Communal harmony and the co-existence of all the great religions of the world are the building blocks of our civilization. Indiraji strengthened these building blocks by nourishing them. She also understood the importance of equity and social justice in cementing national integration. “The persistence of inequality” she once observed, “posed serious danger to national integration”. She therefore worked tirelessly to bridge the many divides in our society and to meet the aspirations of all sections of our nation.
Dr. Bandukwalla and Dr Puniyani have devoted their life to realize these goals of Indiraji. Dr Bandukwalla has striven hard to create opportunities for Muslims by providing them with quality education. His constructive vision and action in educating Muslims is of paramount significance in promoting national integration. Our Government too recognizes this as an important national obligation. That is why we appointed the Justice Sachar Committee to enquire into the status of the Muslim community in our country. By addressing this mighty problem Dr. Bandukwalla has emerged as a champion of national integration. His practical steps to educate Muslims will ameliorate their conditions and make them active participants in processes of nation building.
I must also compliment Dr. Bandukwalla for his devotion to women’s empowerment. By fighting for the human rights of Muslim women, Dr. Bandukwalla has taken up the gigantic task of liberating them from oppression and discrimination. He has done so in the face of threats to his life. In doing so, he has shown the kind of courage we associate with Indiraji. He richly deserves the Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration.
The other distinguished recipient of the Indira Gandhi Award is a teacher. Professor Ram Puniyani is a rare teacher whose teaching was never confined to the classroom. Society has been his classroom. He has taught us all to respect the human rights of all people. His contribution to communal harmony, through the work of Ekta and the Centre for Study of Society and Secularism has greatly contributed to peace in our times.
Combining scholarship with activism, he used the Peace and Conflict Resolution Workshop to conceptualize constructive approaches to national integration. His role in formulating peace curricula at the Tata institute of Social Sciences and Nirmala Niketan has been inspiring. Such educational syllabi can teach our younger generation how to serve the cause of unity and harmony in our society.
Indiraji described efforts for national integration as permanent precautions that an architect incorporates in his building plans. The ceaseless efforts an activities of Dr. Bandukwalla and Professor Puniyani are directed at safeguarding the architecture of our inclusive society. They are worthy recipients of the prestigious Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration. I have great pleasure in congratulating them and wishing both of them health, strength and success in their fight against communal and divisive forces, and for the unity and integrity of our mighty nation and society. I wish them well. May their path be blessed”.
(Release ID :32319)