English Release 2-September 2014
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Inaugurates 89th Foundation Course at Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration in Mussoorie
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s remarks at the Indian Community Reception in Tokyo
Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s remarks after inaugurating the TCS Japan Technology and Culture Academy
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s keynote address at welcome reception hosted by Japan-India Association and Japan-India Parliamentary Friendship League
- PM inaugurates Vivekananda Cultural Centre at Indian Embassy in Tokyo
- PM’s remarks at the Indian Community Reception in Tokyo
- PM's keynote address at welcome reception hosted by Japan-India Association and Japan-India Parliamentary Friendship League
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s keynote address at event organized by Nikkei Inc. and Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
- PM's keynote address at event organized by Nikkei Inc. and Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s special lecture at the University of the Sacred Heart, Tokyo
- PM’s remarks after inaugurating the TCS Japan Technology and Culture Academy
- PM's special lecture at the University of the Sacred Heart, Tokyo
- Min of Agriculture
- Government puts Agriculture Sector on Fast Track
- Min of Defence
- Fast Patrol Vessel ICGS Abhiraj Commissioned at Tuticorin
- Min of Environment and Forests
- Initiatives of the Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change
- Ministry of Finance
- A High Level Committee Constituted for Considering the Proposals for Assessment of Income arising or accruing before 1st April, 2012 on Account of Retrospective Amendments to the Provisions Related to Indirect Transfer
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Revised strategy for Kala Azar eradication launched
- Min of Home Affairs
- MHA Asks Manipur Govt to Take Preventive Steps in view of UNC Blockade
- Union Home Minister asks Kerala CM to take Strict action against Political Killings
- Min of Information & Broadcasting
- I&B Ministry initiatives to enhance Outreach and information dissemination through multiple platforms
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Petroleum Minister emphasizes on adopting energy efficient techniques for better development of the nation
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 101.29 per bbl on 01.09.2014
- Min of Power
- Landmark Initiatives for Energy Efficiency Launched
- Min of Rural Development
- Sweeping changes made in MGNREGA by Nitin Gadkari
- Min of Science & Technology
- Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) Releases the Annual Report for the Year 2013-14
- MoU Signed between National Cancer Institute, AIIMS, Jhajjar Campus and DBT, GOI
- Dr Jitendra Singh Announces DBT Collaboration in Establishing A “National Cancer Institute” at Jhajjar, Haryana.
- Min of Tribal Affairs
- “Single Window System” for Obtaining Market Information on Minor Forest Produces Through Toll Free Number 1800 180 1551
Ministry of Finance14-November, 2007 17:28 IST
|13th Finance Commission Constituted|
|The President has constituted the Thirteenth Finance Commission under Article 280 (1) of the Constitution. Dr. Vijay L. Kelkar, former Union Finance Secretary and Adviser to the Finance Minister has been appointed as Chairman of the Commission. Shri B.K Chaturvedi, Member, Planning Commission will be the part-time Member, and Dr. Indira Rajaraman, Emeritus Professor, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy, Dr. Abusaleh Shariff, Chief Economist, National Council of Applied Economic Research, Prof. Atul Sarma, Former Vice-Chancellor, Rajiv Gandhi University (formerly Arunachal University) shall be the full time Members of the Commission. Shri Sumit Bose will be the Secretary to the Commission.
The Finance Commission is a Constitutional body set up every five years to make recommendations relating to the distribution of the net proceeds of taxes between the Union and the States, the principles which should govern the grants-in-aid of the revenues of the States out of the Consolidated Fund of India and the measures needed to augment the Consolidated Fund of a State to supplement the resources of the Panchayats and the Municipalities. In addition, any other matter may be referred to the Commission by the President in the interests of sound finance.
Apart from the terms of reference specifically laid down in the Constitution, the Thirteenth Finance Commission will review the state of finances of the Union and the States keeping in view the operation of the States’ Debt Consolidation & Relief Facility 2005-2010(DCRF) and suggest measures for maintaining a stable and sustainable fiscal environment consistent with equitable growth. The Thirteenth Finance Commission will also review the present arrangements as regards financing of Disaster Management with reference to the National Calamity Contingency Fund and the Calamity Relief Fund and the funds envisaged in the Disaster Management Act, 2005.
As in the case of the previous Finance Commissions, the 13th Finance Commission will also take into consideration various aspects while making its recommendations. These relate to assessment of the resources of the Centre and the State for the five year period, taxation efforts and the potential of additional revenue mobilization, demands on the resources of the Central Government, the requirement of States to meet the non-salary component of maintenance expenditure on capital assets and plan schemes, the objective of not only balancing receipts and expenditure but also generating surpluses, and the need to ensure commercial viability of irrigation and power projects, departmental undertakings and public sector enterprises through various means including levy of user charges and adoption of measures to promote efficiency.
The 13th Finance Commission will also take into consideration the likely impact of the proposed implementation of Goods and Services Act (GST) with effect from 1st April, 2010, including its impact on foreign trade. The Finance Commission has also been asked to consider the need to improve the quality of public expenditure to obtain better outputs and outcomes. The need to manage ecology, environment and climate change consistent with sustainable development, which is an issue of national concern will also be taken into account by the 13th Finance Commission.
The recommendations of the Thirteenth Finance Commission will cover the period of five years from Ist April, 2010 to 31st March 2015. The Commission is expected to make available its report by 31st October, 2009.
(Release ID :32658)