English Release 1-February 2015
- President's Secretariat
- President of India congratulates Leander Paes for winning the Australian Open Mixed Doubles title
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM congratulates Indian Tennis Player, Leander Paes on the Mixed Doubles win at Australian Open
- PM salutes coast guard personnel on 38th Raising Day of Indian Coast Guard
- Department of Space
- Indian Space scientists working on new breakthroughs: Dr. Jitendra Singh
- Min of Culture
- The 17th Bharat Rang Mahotsav organized by NSD begins
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Centre closely monitoring situation on H1N1, all assistance extended to states: Sh J P Nadda
- Min of Social Justice & Empowerment
- Raahgiri Day for the Persons with Disabilities Held
Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution03-December, 2007 17:19 IST
|Steps taken to maintain quality of PDS Foodgrains|
Some complaints had been received from various States about supply of poor quality of foodgrains under Public Distribution System (PDS) by Food Corporation of India (FCI). During 2005-06, complaints had been received from Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Karnataka and Bihar about supply of inferior quality rice by FCI. During 2006-07, complaint had been received from Rajasthan regarding supply of inferior quality wheat by FCI for PDS. Similarly, in 2007-08, complaints have been received from Maharashtra & Tamil Nadu about poor quality foodgrains being supplied in PDS.
The Government had issued instructions to FCI that only good quality foodgrains conforming to Prevention of Food Adulteration Act (PFA) standards should be distributed through PDS. Besides, the following steps are being taken to ensure the supply of good quality foodgrains for PDS:-
(i) Adequate opportunities are provided to the officials of the State Governments/UT Administrations to inspect the stocks prior to lifting from the Food Corporation of India (FCI) godowns.
(ii) Instructions have been issued to all the State Governments/UT Administrations that an officer not below the rank of Inspector should be deputed to check the quality of foodgrains before lifting from the FCI godowns.
(iii) The samples of foodgrains are to be jointly drawn and sealed by the officers of the State Governments/UT Administrations and the FCI from the stocks for display at the counters of Fair Price Shops (FPSs) for the benefit of consumers.
(iv) Instructions have been issued to all State Governments that all the stocks available with the State Government Agencies & Fair Price Shops should be regularly inspected for their quality and only those stocks of wheat should be distributed, which meet the required quality specifications.
This information was given by Dr. Akhilesh Prasad Singh, Minister of State for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution and Agriculture in reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.
(Release ID :33645)