English Release 17-September 2014
- Prime Minister's Office
- Chinese President and First Lady visit Sabarmati Riverfront, accompanied by the PM
PM and Chinese President visit Sabarmati Ashram.
- PM and Chinese President Xi Jinping witness signing of 3 MoUs in Ahmedabad
- PM launches Swavlamban Abhiyaan - new pro-poor initiatives of the Gujarat Government
- Min of Agriculture
- Finance to 5 Lakh Joint Farming Groups of “Bhoomi Heen Kisan” through Nabard in the Current Financial Year
- Min of Commerce & Industry
Deputy USTR Meets Commerce Secretary
- India to be Partner Country in Hannover Messe Fair During April 2015
- Gilead Briefs Nirmala Sitharaman about their Licensing Agreements with Seven India-Based Generic Pharmaceutical Manufacturers
- Min of Defence
- Operation Megh Rahat : 17 sep 14
Restoration of connectivity
- Opening Ceremony : Exercise Yudh Abhyas 2014
- Ministry of Finance
- Bank of Maharashtra Celebrates its 80th Foundation Day; Crosses the Business Level of Rs 2 Lakh Crores
- CMD, IFCI Ltd. Presents A Dividend Cheque of Rs. 92.30 Crore to the Union Finance Minister
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Medical Relief Operation Stepped up in J&K
- Min of Home Affairs
- A delegation of Unified Naga Council calls on the Union Home Minister
- Union Minister for Surface Transport & Highways and Shipping Calls on Union Home Minister
- Uttarakhand Minister calls on Union Home Minister
- Union Home Minister to attend Sixth Meeting of SAARC Ministers of Interior / Home at Kathmandu
- Min of Labour & Employment
- Shri Narendra Singh Tomar presents Vishwakarma and Safety Awards
- Min of Micro,Small & Medium Enterprises
- Govt Lobbying Hard for Base Rate Interest Regime for MSME : Kalraj Mishra
- Min of Minority Affairs
- Dr.Najma Heptulla Announces Rs.120 Crore Relief and Rehabilitation Package for J&K Flood Victims
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas takes several measures to ensure availability of essential petroleum products in the aftermath of floods in the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Daily Crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 95.92/bbl on 16.09.2014
- Ministry of Railways
- Commodity-Wise Freight Revenue Earnings of Railways Goes Up by 16.70 Per Cent in August 2014 & 10.67 Per Cent During April-August 2014
- Min of Textiles
- Textiles Minister Honours 54 Women Achievers in Sericulture
- Min of Women and Child Development
- Press Note of Union Ministry of Women & Child Development
Ministry of Commerce & Industry02-April, 2008 16:34 IST
|Press Note - Record Grant of Patents|
|The Indian Patent Office has granted a record number of 15,262 patents during the financial year 2007-08. This is more than double the number of patents granted (7539) during the previous year and almost eight times the number of patents granted just three years ago in 2004-05 (1911). The number of patents granted during 2007-08, the first year of the 11th Five Year Plan (FYP) compares well with the total number of patents granted during the entire 10th Five Year Plan period which was 17,618 only. The patent filings also crossed the 35,000 mark during 2007-08.|
The surge in the number of patents has to do with the modernisation of the patent and other intellectual property offices. It may be noted that the Government had spent Rs.149 crore on the first phase of modernisation which resulted in the establishment of modern integrated Intellectual Property Offices in the four metros, computerisation and enhancement of the human resources. The Indian Patent Office has also introduced the facility for e-filing of applications from 20 July, 2007. The Office has also been recognised by the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) as an International Searching Authority (ISA) and an International Preliminary Examining Authority (IPEA) under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) in October 2007.
The national exchequer also stands to gain from the improved functioning of the IP Office with an income of about Rs.194 crore during 2007-08 compared to a Non-Plan expenditure of less than Rs.23 crore for the year.
The Government has recently approved the second phase of modernisation costing Rs. 300 crore. This programme would see the construction of buildings for housing ISA/IPEA operations in Delhi and for Trade Marks Registry and Intellectual Property (IP) Archives at Ahmedabad, substantial increase in human resources to meet the requirements of increased IP filings, digitisation of all the IP records and establishment of a total online office.
The Government has already separately commenced work on setting up a National Institute of Intellectual Property Management (NIIPM) at Nagpur which would cater to training, education, research and think tank functions in Intellectual Property Rights.
These steps are expected to give a big boost to the development of an innovative culture in India.
Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion, Ministry of Commerce & industry
New Delhi, April 02, 2008
(Release ID :37065)