English Release 29-January 2015
- President's Secretariat
- University of Hyderabad wins visitor’s award for ‘Best University’
- President of India’s message on Anti Leprosy Day
- Vice President's Secretariat
- VICE PRESIDENT RELEASES ‘DISTRICT DEVELOPMENT AND DIVERSITY INDEX REPORT FOR INDIA AND MAJOR STATES’
- Prime Minister's Office
- CMD, New Indian Express, presents a cheque of Rs. 1.35 crore towards Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund
- Election Commission
- Facts at a Glance- Delhi
- Min of Culture
- Renowned singer, music composer, lyricist and actor Shekhar Sen appointed as Chairman of Sangeet Natak Akademi
- Min of Defence
- Republic Day Parade – 2015 Awards Announced; Brigade of Guards Regiment & Sikh Regiment Adjudged Joint Winners of Marching Contingent Amongst Services
- Ministry of Finance
- Jayant Sinha, Minister of State for Finance Emphasises the Need for Innovative Product Development in an Ever Expanding Capital Market;
- Min of Labour & Employment
- Union Labour Minister Shri Bandaru Dattatreya Inaugurates Special Corporate Office of EPFO in Mumbai
- Min of Law & Justice
- Shri Justice Narayanan Nadar Paul Vasanthakumar Appointed Chief Justice of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court
- Min of Micro,Small & Medium Enterprises
Union Minister of MSME visits NSIC Incubation Centre Guwahati
- Min of Mines
- Mines Ministry holds one-day Workshop in Odisha with State Governments and other stakeholders to explain the provisions of MMDR Ordinance
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- 18th National Conference on e-Governance
- ACC Appointment
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Conventional on Pahal
- Global Crude Oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 46.55 per bbl on 28.01.2015
- Min of Science & Technology
- New CMD Joins National Research Development Corporation (NRDC)
- Ministry of Tourism
- Tourism Minister of Philippines Mr Ramon R. Jimenez calls on his Indian counterpart Dr Mahesh Sharma
- Min of Urban Development
- Two day consultations with states on smart cities from tomorrow
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- Sports Ministry Enhances Award Money for Medal Winners in International Events and their Coaches
Cabinet17-July, 2008 13:43 IST
|Setting up of eight new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and conversion of IT-BHU into in IIT|
|The Union Cabinet today gave its approval for:
1. Setting up of eight new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) in Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, Orissa, Gujarat, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and at Indore in Madhya Pradesh at a total cost of Rs.6080 crore (@ Rs.760 crore per IIT) for 6 years period, and consequently approval for forming of Societies for creating legal entities for the new IITs.
2. In order to operationalise the IITs, the creation of one post each of Director and Registrar, for each of the eight IITs, as well as approval for creation of 30 faculty posts per year in the first three years and granting pay scale of Rs.26000 per month (fixed) to each Director of an IIS (existing as well as new).
3. In principle approval for taking over the Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University – a constituent unit of the Banaras Hindu University, a Central University, its conversion into an Indian Institute of Technology and integrating it with the IIT system in the country.
The approval would benefit in increasing the output of high quality Engineering and Science graduates, post graduates and Ph.D.s, Teachers for Engineering and Science subjects at College/University level and R&D and Intellectual Property generation in Engineering and Science.
It will be able to provide high quality education to some more bright students as now hardly 2% of about 3 lakh students who appear in Joint Entrance Test of IITs can get admissions in IITs.
It would also address State/Region specific technology related problems of States/UTs situated in the IITs’ “Zones”.
(Release ID :40461)