English Release 31-January 2015
- President's Secretariat
- President of India Congratulates DRDO on the Successful Test-Firing of Agni-V
- President’s Message on the Occasion of 38th Anniversary of Indian Coast Guard
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM reviews PaHaL Scheme for Direct Benefit Transfer for LPG Subsidy
- PM salutes our scientists, on the successful test-firing of Agni V missile
- PM gives best wishes to all athletes participating in the 35th National Games
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- Commemorative Postage Stamp on Swachh Bharat Released
- Min of Culture
Dr Mahesh Sharma lays foundation stone of campus buildings of National Museum Institute and Indian Culinary Institute
- Min of Information & Broadcasting
- Siri Fort Auditorium amongst the top 50 auditoriums for cinema viewing in India- Col Rajyavardhan Rathore
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- ACC Appointments
- 18th National Conference on e-Governance concludes in Gandhinagar
- ACC Appointments
- Ministry of Tourism
- Dr Mahesh Sharma lays foundation stone of campus buildings of National Museum Institute and Indian Culinary Institute
- Min of Tribal Affairs
- Tribal Afairs Ministers Felicitates Tribal Guests and the Tableaux Artistes & Supporting Staff, who had Participated in this Year’s Republic Day Parade
- Min of Urban Development
- Speech made by the Hon’ble Union Minister for Urban Development at the Inauguration of 35th National Games in Kerala on 31st January, 2015
- States show the way forward on building smart cities
Cabinet03-October, 2008 18:11 IST
|Cabinet Approves Phase-II of AV Singh Committee Report|
Promotional Avenues in Higher Ranks in Services Open Up
|In a major step to improve career mobility, to fulfil aspirations and to achieve combat effectiveness by bringing down age profile of commanding officers, the Union Cabinet today approved the Ministry of Defence's proposal for effecting upgradation of 1896 posts in the Services.
Popularly known as Phase-II of the Ajay Vikram Singh Committee Report, the proposals approved today would result in reduction in stagnation. The Defence Minister Shri A K Antony had taken a personal interest in the implementation of the proposal and played a crucial role in evolving a consensus among the Services. The measures taken today will also lead to progressive promotion of junior batches without adversely affecting promotional aspects of senior batches, thereby reducing the age profile of officers in select ranks.
The upgradation will be carried out in the Army over a period of five years, in the Navy over the next ten years and in the Air Force over a period of five years. The total number of posts to be upgraded will be 1051 in the Army, 342 in the Navy and 503 in the Air Force. Of the 1051 posts in the Army, 20 are at the level of Lieutenant General and equivalent, 75 at Major General and equivalent, 222 at Brigadier and equivalent, and 734 at Colonel and equivalent. The corresponding figures in the Navy will be 4 at Vice Admiral and equivalent, 14 at Rear Admiral and equivalent, 324 at Commodore, Captain and equivalent. In the Air Force upgradation will be effected for 6 post at Air Marshal and equivalent, 21 at Air Vice Marshal and equivalent, 61 at Air Commodore and equivalent, 415 at Group Captain and equivalent.
The Cabinet also approved the proposal for the reduction in the regular cadre and corresponding increase in the support cadre consisting of Short Service Commissioned Officers and re-employed officers (for Army) as envisaged in the Ajay Vikram Singh Committee (AVSC) Report and as per requirement of the three Services irrespective of gender.
It may be recalled that the Ministry of Defence had set up a Committee on 16th July, 2001, under the Chairmanship of Shri Ajay Vikram Singh, the then Special Secretary with representatives of the three Services with an aim to achieve 'combat effectiveness' by bringing down the age profile of battalion / brigade level commanders. The Committee submitted its report on February 2003 and the Raksha Mantri accorded in principle approval to the report in September 2003. AVSC Phase-I in respect of non-select ranks i.e. Lieutenant Colonel and equivalent and below was implemented in December 2004.
(Release ID :43392)