English Release 26-July 2014
- Prime Minister's Office
- Prime Minister launches MyGov: A platform for Citizen Engagement towards Surajya
- PM pays homage to martyrs on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- MyGov: A portal for Citizen Engagement towards governance launched
- Min of Defence
- Army Celebrates Kargil Vijay Diwas at Dras
- Min of Home Affairs
- Clarification Regarding India’s Migration Policy
- Ministry of Railways
- Conference on Train Protection and Energy Management System Held
- Min of Science & Technology
- Dr. Jitendra Singh Inaugurates 'Expo-2014' Science Exhibition
Says Science and Technology Developments Requires a Wider Exposure
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
- Minister of Youth Affairs & Sports, Sarbananda Sonowal congratulates Indian medal winners in commonwealth Games 2014
Ministry of Defence20-December, 2008 15:35 IST
|Antony clears several proposals to augment coastal security|
|The Defence Minister Shri AK Antony, today reviewed in detail all aspects relating to coastal security at a high-level meeting here attended among others by the Defence Secretary Shri Vijay Singh, Director General of Indian Coast Guard Vice Admiral Anil Chopra and the Director General Acquisition Shri SK Sharma. The deployment of Coast Guard assets to protect vulnerable areas in the context of the recent terrorist attacks in Mumbai was discussed. It was decided to deploy additional ships and aircraft in these areas.
The Coast Guard was asked to lease or hire ships from the Global Market in the quickest possible time to meet shortages. Approval was accorded for global acquisition of cutting-edge equipment and interceptor boats on a fast-track basis. The meeting also decided to set up nine additional Coast Guard Stations and a proposal for the same will be sent for Cabinet approval at the earliest. In another major decision, Shri Antony asked the Coast Guard to coordinate with State Governments for electronic identification of all vessels entering Indian Waters. The meeting also gave clearance for Radar coverage of the entire coastline and a scheme for the same will soon be worked out in consultation with the Ministry of Shipping.
Shri Antony asked the Coast Guard to coordinate with the Indian Navy and intelligence agencies for sharing of information.
(Release ID :45966)