English Release 1-February 2015
- President's Secretariat
- President of India congratulates Leander Paes for winning the Australian Open Mixed Doubles title
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM congratulates Indian Tennis Player, Leander Paes on the Mixed Doubles win at Australian Open
- PM salutes coast guard personnel on 38th Raising Day of Indian Coast Guard
- Department of Space
- Indian Space scientists working on new breakthroughs: Dr. Jitendra Singh
- Min of Culture
- The 17th Bharat Rang Mahotsav organized by NSD begins
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Centre closely monitoring situation on H1N1, all assistance extended to states: Sh J P Nadda
- Min of Social Justice & Empowerment
- Raahgiri Day for the Persons with Disabilities Held
Ministry of Defence20-December, 2008 15:35 IST
|Antony clears several proposals to augment coastal security|
|The Defence Minister Shri AK Antony, today reviewed in detail all aspects relating to coastal security at a high-level meeting here attended among others by the Defence Secretary Shri Vijay Singh, Director General of Indian Coast Guard Vice Admiral Anil Chopra and the Director General Acquisition Shri SK Sharma. The deployment of Coast Guard assets to protect vulnerable areas in the context of the recent terrorist attacks in Mumbai was discussed. It was decided to deploy additional ships and aircraft in these areas.
The Coast Guard was asked to lease or hire ships from the Global Market in the quickest possible time to meet shortages. Approval was accorded for global acquisition of cutting-edge equipment and interceptor boats on a fast-track basis. The meeting also decided to set up nine additional Coast Guard Stations and a proposal for the same will be sent for Cabinet approval at the earliest. In another major decision, Shri Antony asked the Coast Guard to coordinate with State Governments for electronic identification of all vessels entering Indian Waters. The meeting also gave clearance for Radar coverage of the entire coastline and a scheme for the same will soon be worked out in consultation with the Ministry of Shipping.
Shri Antony asked the Coast Guard to coordinate with the Indian Navy and intelligence agencies for sharing of information.
(Release ID :45966)