English Release 29-January 2015
- President's Secretariat
- President of India’s message on Anti Leprosy Day
- Election Commission
- Facts at a Glance- Delhi
- Min of Mines
- Mines Ministry holds one-day Workshop in Odisha with State Governments and other stakeholders to explain the provisions of MMDR Ordinance
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- 18th National Conference on e-Governance
- ACC Appointment
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Conventional on Pahal
- Global Crude Oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 46.55 per bbl on 28.01.2015
- Min of Science & Technology
- New CMD Joins National Research Development Corporation (NRDC)
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- Sports Ministry Enhances Award Money for Medal Winners in International Events and their Coaches
Ministry of Human Resource Development16-December, 2009 17:6 IST
|Seats in Higher Education for diaspora children|
As per the information furnished by University Grants Commission (UGC), the commission has issued directions to the Universities for creation of 15% supernumerary seats for foreign students in subject courses of all the Universities, whether technical/professional or otherwise, provided that adequate infrastructure facilities are made available in the Department concerned. Out of this 15% quota fixed for foreign students, 5% seats shall be earmarked for the children of Indian Workers in the Gulf and South East Asia.
The Regulation issued by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) on 21st January, 2004, provides, inter-alia, that fifteen percent seats in all the Institutions/University Departments, approved by AICTE, offering technical courses leading to Diploma, Degree and Post-Graduate Degree in Engineering & Technology, Architecture & Town Planning, Pharmacy, Applied Arts, MBA & MCA, Hotel Management & Catering Technology, shall be allowed on supernumerary basis from amongst Foreign Nationals/Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs)/Children of Indian Workers in the Gulf Countries, over and above the approved intake, provided that 1/3rd of the 15% shall be reserved across different disciplines in the educational institutions, for the Children of Indian workers in the Gulf Countries. However, any vacant seats out of 1/3rd category shall be reverted to the quota of 2/3rd meant for PIO/Foreign Nationals.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Human Resource Development Smt. D. Purandeswari, in a written reply to a question, in the Lok Sabha today.
(Release ID :56077)