English Release 17-April 2014
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Addresses at Golden Jubilee and 48th Convocation of the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade
- Min of Commerce & Industry
- Commerce Secretary to Lead High-Level Delegation to India Show in Hong Kong
- Min of Defence
Indian Air Force Placement Cell (IAFPC) and Monster India Collaborate to Foster Job Opportunities for Retired Air Warriors
Admiral RK Dhowan PVSM, AVSM, YSM
- Admiral RK Dhowan Appointed the New CNS
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket increased to US$ 107.50 per bbl on 16.4.2014
- Ministry of Railways
Commodity-Wise Freight Revenue Earnings During Fiscal 2013-14
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Storage of Important Reservoirs in the Country (As on 27 March 2014)
Ministry of Home Affairs03-May, 2010 18:5 IST
|Chidambaram’s Statement on Court Judgement in 26/11 Mumbai Terror Attack Case|
|Following is the text of Statement by the Union Home Minister, Shri P. Chidambaram on court judgment in the 26/11 Mumbai Terror Attack case:|
“We are satisfied that the trial of Mohammad Ajmal Kasab has ended in a conviction. I compliment the investigating agencies and the prosecution for marshalling the evidence and proving beyond reasonable doubt that Kasab and his associates were guilty of the horrific crimes with which they were charged before the Court.
Despite criticism from certain quarters (swayed by emotion and anger), we maintained that Kasab and the other accused ought to be tried in accordance with law and that they should have all the rights that are available to an accused under Indian law. It was an open trial. Kasab was represented by counsel. He was given full opportunity to plead his case. The case has ended in a conviction. The trial of Kasab underlines the fact that India is a country governed by the rule of law.
A criminal trial in India can only proceed step by step. The prosecution has obtained a conviction. The next step is sentencing and we should await the punishment to which the Court will sentence the accused”.
(Release ID :61351)