English Release 24-May 2013
- Presidents Secretariat
- We must find answers for reversing the degradation of values, says President
- President’s Buddha Purnima Greetings
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets Citizens on Buddha Purnima
- Prime Minister's Office
- Prime Minister’s Speech at SEBI’s Silver Jubilee Celebration
- PM Greets the Nation on Buddha Purnima
- Min of Agriculture
- Kharif Sowing Crosses 60 Lakh Hectare
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- NIELIT, Srinagar will contribute to the growth of J&K, Dr. Killi Kruparani
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakram – Saving Mothers and Newborns
- Azad concludes two-day visit to Sweden
- Min of Human Resource Development
- Block Institutes of Teachers Education to be Established in 196 SC/ST/Minority Concentrated Districts
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Press Note
- Petroleum Ministry Refutes allegations regarding Proposed Gas Price Revision
- Production Performance of Oil & Natural Gas sector for the month of April, 2013
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket declines sharply to
99.37/US$ bbl on 23.5.2013
- Min of Power
- Hindi Advisory Committee of Ministry of Power for effective implementation of Official Language
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Storage of Important Reservoirs in the Country (as on 25 April 2013)
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
- Financial assistance from National Sports Development Fund to Mary Kom Regional Boxing Foundation, Imphal
Conference of Ministers and Secretaries of States And Union Territories in-Charge of Sports & Youth Affairs Begins in New Delhi
- Planning Commission
UIDAI launches Aadhaar based Iris Authentication, eKYC, One Time PIN New Services and Permanent Enrolment Centres
Ministry of Home Affairs09-September, 2010 14:39 IST
|Enumeration of Castes other than Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes|
|The Union Cabinet considered the recommendations of the GoM and decided as follows:|
a) ‘Caste’ of all persons as returned by them would be canvassed.
b) The caste enumeration would be conducted as a separate exercise from the month of June 2011 and completed in a phased manner by September 2011 after the Population Enumeration phase (to be conducted in February-March 2011) of the Census 2011 is over.
c) A suitable legal regime for collection of data on Castes would be formulated in consultation with the Ministry of Law & Justice.
d) The Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner India would conduct the field operations of the caste enumeration. The Government of India would constitute an Expert Group to classify the caste/tribe returns after the enumeration is completed. The Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner India would hand over the details of the castes/tribes returned in the enumeration to the proposed Expert Group.
Caste-wise enumeration had been given up as a matter of policy after independence. The last Census when caste-wise data was collected, tabulated and published in detail was the 1931 Census.
In response to the demands for enumerating castes other than Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in the Census 2011 raised inside Parliament as well as by various groups outside, the Ministry of Home Affairs submitted a note to the Union Cabinet in May 2010 pertaining to this issue. The Union Cabinet in its meeting held in May 2010 decided that ‘the matter would require further examination’.
The Ministry of Home Affairs submitted a fresh note on this subject in May 2010. The Union Cabinet discussed the matter in its meeting held in May 2010 and decided that, “the matter may, in the first instance, be considered by a Group of Ministers”.
Accordingly, a Group of Ministers (GoM) was constituted under the Chairmanship of Hon’ble Finance Minister Shri Pranab Mukherjee. The GoM deliberated on the matter in three meetings and gave its recommendations to the Union Cabinet.
(Release ID :65632)