English Release 25-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Speech by the President of India
Shri Pranab Mukherjee on the Occasion of Release of a Commemorative Postage Stamp on
- President of India Releases a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Anagarika Dharmapala
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi’s address at the ceremony held to rededicate, Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre, in Mumbai
- PM rededicates Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre in Mumbai
- PM greets the Nation on auspicious occasion of Bhai Dooj
- Election Commission
- Press Note
- Schedule for bye-election to fill casual vacancies in the Legislative Assembly of NCT of Delhi – Regarding.
- Schedule for General Elections to the Legislative Assemblies of Jharkhand and Jammu & Kashmir.
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- Minister for Communications & IT and Law & Justice, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad Spoke at the Release Function of a Postage Stamp Commemorating Srimath Anagarika Dharmapala, the Great Buddhist Thinker and Visionary from Sri Lanka
- Ministry of Finance
- President of India
to Inaugurate Three Day Accountants’ General Conference on Monday
- Min of Home Affairs
- Observance of the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas on 31st October
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Dr. Jitendra Singh says Indian bureaucrats need constant re-orientation as they face new challenges every day
Cabinet31-March, 2011 18:24 IST
|Setting up of National Mission for Electric Mobility|
|The Union Cabinet today approved a proposal to set up a National Mission for Electric Mobility (NCEM) to promote electric mobility and manufacturing of electric vehicles in India.|
The Cabinet also approved the setting up of a National Board for Electric Mobility (NBEM) by the Department of Heavy Industry. The NCEM will be the apex body in the Government of India for making recommendations in these matters.
The National Automotive Board (NAB), after its formation will be the technical advisor and secretariat for both the NCEM and NBEM.
The present proposal does not involve any financial implication.
In wake of the fast dwindling petroleum resources, growing concerns on the impact of vehicles on the environment and climate change; the automobile industry worldwide is gradually shifting to more efficient drive technologies and alternative fuels including electric vehicles. Accordingly, world over major investments, incentives and policies are being introduced to propagate the development, adoption of electric vehicles (EV) and their manufacturing.
At present, the barriers to greater adoption of Electric Vehicles (EVs) include higher cost of EVs, challenges in battery technology, limited range of EVs, lack of infrastructure, consumer mindset and inadequate government support. In order to resolve these barriers and for electric mobility to take off it is essential that continued government intervention/support, high level ownership, adoption of mission mode approach for fast decision making, collaboration amongst various stakeholders, long term commitment with clearly defined short term and long term objectives and a synergized - holistic approach is essential. Accordingly, the promotion and manufacturing of electric vehicles is being taken up on a mission mode approach as "National Mission for Electric Mobility".
Further, as a first step an enabling, empowered, fast decision and policy making structure at the apex level in the form of National Council for Electric Mobility (NCEM) and the National Board for Electric Mobility (NBEM) is being set up. The Council will comprise of Ministers from the key Central Ministries/Departments, eminent representatives from the industry and academia and will be chaired by the Minister (Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises).
The Council will be aided by a 25 member National Board for Electric Mobility comprising of secretaries of stakeholder Central Ministries/ Departments with representation from industry and academia. The National Council and the Board will be serviced by NATRiP Implementation Society (NATIS) for the time being and in future by the National Automotive Board (NAB), which is being created.
(Release ID :71401)