English Release 28-July 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President congratulates medal winners in
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets Citizens On Id-Ul-Fitr
- Prime Minister's Office
- Foreign Minister of Uganda calls on PM
- Election Commission
- Bye-elections to the State Legislative Council of Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra by the Members of Legislative Assembly
- Min of Agriculture
Rashtriya Gokul Mission Aims to Conserve and Develop Indigenous Breeds
- Min of Defence
- IAF Receives the 6th C-17 Globemaster III in the Presence of Hon’ble Defence Minister Shri Arun Jaitley
- BEL-Bangalore Complex Certified for ISO 27001
- Min of Environment and Forests
- Advertising campaign to be launched to popularize Science Express- Biodiversity Special- Prakash Javadekar
- Ministry of Finance
- Auction for sale (Re-Issue) of Government Stock
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- “Mass awareness required on simple steps to control diarrhoea”
- Min of Home Affairs
- Union Home Minister reviews Disaster Management and Border Management Divisions
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Special Class Railway Apprentices’ Examination, 2014
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket increased marginally to
US$ 106.01 per bbl on 25.07.2014
- Min of Shipping
- Kanika Sands Transshipment Zone
- Min of Textiles
Textiles Vision Document Projects Textiles Export to Touch US $ 300 Billion by the Year 2024-25
- Min of Urban Development
- Bio-metric attendance system soon for employees of urban ministries
- Min of Women and Child Development
- The Number of Beneficiaries Covered under ICPS on the Rise
- Total of 3924 Children placed in In-Country adoption during 2013-14
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
- India wins 5 Medals on Day 4 of the Commonwealth Games 2014
Ministry of Communications & Information Technology05-June, 2011 18:28 IST
|Stricter Radiation Norms for Mobile Handsets and Towers Recommended- Sachin Pilot|
|Shri Sachin Pilot, the Union Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology has said that while telecom is a huge success story in India, any possible health related effects of radiation emitted by mobile phones and towers are to be reflected and ensured in the guidelines. The final guidelines would take into account the best global benchmarks and scientific evidence on the subject.|
The Government has been sensitive to the issue of possible health-related effects of radiation emissions from mobile towers and phones, he added. In July and August, 2010 he conducted consultations on the subject with multiple stakeholders both in the Government and the private sector. As a follow-up, the Department of Telecommunications set-up an Inter Ministerial Group in August 2010 to evaluate the evidence, revisit radiation guidelines for mobile towers and adopt guidelines for radiation emission by cell phones. This group had experts from Department of Telecom, Ministry of Health, Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Environment & Forests and Indian Council of Medical Research.
The Inter Ministerial Group has submitted its report, after placing it on the internet for public comments and suggestions. Salient recommendations of the expert group are;
• The Group has proposed revising the limit of 2 watts per kilogram averaged over 10 grams tissue to 1.6 watts per kilogram averaged over 1 gram tissue.
• Mandatory declaration of radiation level on each mobile handset.
• Radiation norms which are ten times as strict as the existing ones- from f/200 watts per square meter to f/2000 watts per square meter have been recommended.
• Earlier, necessary amendments were carried out in the Access Service Licenses in 2008 mandating self-certification radiation levels of towers to ensure compliance with WHO-endorsed guidelines of International Commission for Non-ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) adopted by India Each instance of non-compliance carries a penalty of Rs.5 lakhs.
• Till 31st March 2011, 5,88,645 out of 6,05,859 base stations had been self-certified. The report is under consideration of Department of Telecom.
(Release ID :72524)