English Release 17-September 2014
- Prime Minister's Office
- Chinese President and First Lady visit Sabarmati Riverfront, accompanied by the PM
PM and Chinese President visit Sabarmati Ashram.
- PM and Chinese President Xi Jinping witness signing of 3 MoUs in Ahmedabad
- PM launches Swavlamban Abhiyaan - new pro-poor initiatives of the Gujarat Government
- Min of Agriculture
- Finance to 5 Lakh Joint Farming Groups of “Bhoomi Heen Kisan” through Nabard in the Current Financial Year
- Min of Commerce & Industry
Deputy USTR Meets Commerce Secretary
- India to be Partner Country in Hannover Messe Fair During April 2015
- Gilead Briefs Nirmala Sitharaman about their Licensing Agreements with Seven India-Based Generic Pharmaceutical Manufacturers
- Min of Defence
- Operation Megh Rahat : 17 sep 14
Restoration of connectivity
- Opening Ceremony : Exercise Yudh Abhyas 2014
- Ministry of Finance
- Bank of Maharashtra Celebrates its 80th Foundation Day; Crosses the Business Level of Rs 2 Lakh Crores
- CMD, IFCI Ltd. Presents A Dividend Cheque of Rs. 92.30 Crore to the Union Finance Minister
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Medical Relief Operation Stepped up in J&K
- Min of Home Affairs
- A delegation of Unified Naga Council calls on the Union Home Minister
- Union Minister for Surface Transport & Highways and Shipping Calls on Union Home Minister
- Uttarakhand Minister calls on Union Home Minister
- Union Home Minister to attend Sixth Meeting of SAARC Ministers of Interior / Home at Kathmandu
- Min of Labour & Employment
- Shri Narendra Singh Tomar presents Vishwakarma and Safety Awards
- Min of Micro,Small & Medium Enterprises
- Govt Lobbying Hard for Base Rate Interest Regime for MSME : Kalraj Mishra
- Min of Minority Affairs
- Dr.Najma Heptulla Announces Rs.120 Crore Relief and Rehabilitation Package for J&K Flood Victims
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas takes several measures to ensure availability of essential petroleum products in the aftermath of floods in the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Daily Crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 95.92/bbl on 16.09.2014
- Ministry of Railways
- Commodity-Wise Freight Revenue Earnings of Railways Goes Up by 16.70 Per Cent in August 2014 & 10.67 Per Cent During April-August 2014
- Min of Textiles
- Textiles Minister Honours 54 Women Achievers in Sericulture
- Min of Women and Child Development
- Press Note of Union Ministry of Women & Child Development
Department of Atomic Energy10-August, 2011 17:36 IST
|Availability of Thorium |
|Sufficient quantity of thorium reserves are available in the country which has the potential to serve as feedstock for an ambitious nuclear power programme.
The atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research (AMD), a constituent of Department of Atomic Energy has established the presence of 10.70 million tonnes of Monazite in the country, which contains 9,63,000 tonnes of Thorium Oxide (ThO2). India Monazite contains about 9-10% of ThO2 and about 8,46,477 tonnes of thorium Metal can be obtained from 9,63,000 tonnes of ThO2 which will be used for future programmes of DAE.
India is pursuing a three-stage nuclear power generation programme aimed at long term energy independence based on use of our abundant Thorium resources. The programme is to use Thorium for electricity generation in the long-term. In order to realize this goal, we are well into the first stage based on our modest domestic uranium resources. This will be followed by second stage comprising of fast reactors. It is proposed to set up a large power generation capacity based on fast reactors before getting into the third stage. Thorium in itself cannot produce electricity and it has to be first converted to Uranium-233 in a nuclear reactor. A comprehensive three-stage nuclear power programme is therefore being implemented sequentially.
Shri V. Narayanasamy, Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions and in the Prime Minister’s Office gave this information in a written reply to a question by Adv. Ganeshrao Dudhgaonkar in Lok Sabha today.
(Release ID :74293)