English Release 22-September 2014
- Min of Defence
- BRO Annual Chief Engineers’ Conference 2014 : A Curtain Raiser
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 95.35 per bbl on 19.09.2014
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- Minister of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs & Sports Sarbananda Sonowal congratulates Indian Medal Winners at Asian Games 2014
Ministry of Human Resource Development25-November, 2011 16:18 IST
|Proposals to Provide Aakash Tablets to Students |
|The National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) aims to leverage the potential of ICT in providing high-quality, personalized and interactive knowledge modules over the internet in any-time, any-where mode. To do so, a computing device that was low in cost but rich in features, was seen as an imperative. The low cost tablet PC ‘Aakash’ launched by Government will bring down the digital divide to a good extent. |
In the XI Plan, under NMEICT, there is a provision for providing 50% subsidy to colleges and universities for procuring computing devices like ‘Aakash’ as per their requirements. The colleges and universities could then issue these devices to financially weak students from the library on the pattern of the Book Bank Scheme. Thus, the individual subsidy to poor students like SC, ST and OBC for buying Aakash tablets may not be needed.
This information was given by Dr. D. Purandeswari, Minister of State for Human Resource in written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :77586)