English Release 1-August 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President congratulates medal winners in
- Min of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
- About 81.35 Crore People to Get Subsidised Foodgrains Under National Food Security Act
- Food Subsidy Estimated to be Around Rs. 1,31,086 Crore
- The Steps to Expedite Payment of Pending Dues to Sugarcane Farmers
- Transportation of PDS Foodgrains Through Sea Route to Ensure Timely Availability
- Min of Earth Science
- India Deploys its First Sub-Surface Ocean Moored Observatory in the Arctic
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- ACC Appointment
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Diesel Under-Recovery decreased to Rs 1.33/litre for the fortnight commencing 01.08.2014
- Min of Women and Child Development
- Draft Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2014 circulated for inter-ministerial consultation
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
- Minister of Youth Affairs & Sports, Sarbananda Sonowal congratulates Indian medal winners on the 8th day in Commonwealth Games 2014
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare29-November, 2011 17:14 IST
|Doctor-Patient Ratio in the Country|
| As per information furnished by Medical Council of India (MCI), the total number of doctors registered (allopathic) in the country till 31st July, 2011, is 8,56,065 out of which approximately six lac are presently active practitioners. The current doctor-population ratio has been worked out to be approximately 1:2000. |
A large number of steps have been taken to address shortage of doctors, specialists and faculty in the country:
1. The norms for setting up of a medical college in terms of requirement for land, faculty, staff, bed/ bed strength and other infrastructure have been relaxed.
2. Teacher-student ratio has been relaxed to increase the seats at Postgraduate level.
3. DNB qualifications have been recognized for appointment to various faculty posts in medical colleges.
4. Maximum intake capacity at MBBS level has been increased from 150 to 250.
5. Maximum age for appointment of faculty has been enhanced from 65 to 70 years.
6. 46 new medical colleges have been set up between 2009-11.
7. Under the scheme of `Strengthening and Upgradation of State Government Medical Colleges`, financial support to State medical colleges is being provided to increase postgraduate seats in various disciplines or start new postgraduate medical courses.
This information was laid by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Shri Ghulam Nabi Azad in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :77859)