English Release 18-December 2014
- Prime Minister's Office
- Prime Minister Congratulates scientists for successful launch of GSLV Mk-III.
- Election Commission
- Facts at a Glance: Jammu & Kashmir
- Min of Coal
- Mines under CIL
- Steps Proposed by the Government to Reduce Such Huge Imports of Coal
- Clean Energy Tax
- Min of Earth Science
- Cyclone Centres in Various Coastal States
- Min of Home Affairs
- Member of U.S. House of Representatives calls on Union Home Minister
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- ACC Appointments
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 57.29 per bbl on 17.12.2014
- Min of Road Transport & Highways
- New Transport Application to be Launched on a Common Portal
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare29-November, 2011 17:14 IST
|Doctor-Patient Ratio in the Country|
| As per information furnished by Medical Council of India (MCI), the total number of doctors registered (allopathic) in the country till 31st July, 2011, is 8,56,065 out of which approximately six lac are presently active practitioners. The current doctor-population ratio has been worked out to be approximately 1:2000. |
A large number of steps have been taken to address shortage of doctors, specialists and faculty in the country:
1. The norms for setting up of a medical college in terms of requirement for land, faculty, staff, bed/ bed strength and other infrastructure have been relaxed.
2. Teacher-student ratio has been relaxed to increase the seats at Postgraduate level.
3. DNB qualifications have been recognized for appointment to various faculty posts in medical colleges.
4. Maximum intake capacity at MBBS level has been increased from 150 to 250.
5. Maximum age for appointment of faculty has been enhanced from 65 to 70 years.
6. 46 new medical colleges have been set up between 2009-11.
7. Under the scheme of `Strengthening and Upgradation of State Government Medical Colleges`, financial support to State medical colleges is being provided to increase postgraduate seats in various disciplines or start new postgraduate medical courses.
This information was laid by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Shri Ghulam Nabi Azad in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :77859)