English Release 16-April 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Probationers of Indian Postal Service and Indian P&T Accounts and Finance Service call on the President
- Election Commission
- Facts at a Glance: Jammu & Kashmir (5th Poll Day)
- Min of Commerce & Industry
- Indian Industry has an Important Role to Play in Developing Standards: Cabinet Secretary
- Ministry of Finance
- Change in Tariff Value of Crude Palm Oil, RBD Palm Oil, Others – Palm Oil, Crude Palmolein, RBD Palmolein, Others – Palmolein, Crude Soyabean Oil, Brass Scrap (All Grades), Poppy Seeds, ARECA Nuts, Gold and Silver Notified
- Min of Information & Broadcasting
- 61st National Film Awards for 2013 Announced
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- ACC Appointments
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Diesel Under-Recovery declines to Rs 5.49/litre for the fortnight commencing 16.4.2014
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare29-November, 2011 17:14 IST
|Doctor-Patient Ratio in the Country|
| As per information furnished by Medical Council of India (MCI), the total number of doctors registered (allopathic) in the country till 31st July, 2011, is 8,56,065 out of which approximately six lac are presently active practitioners. The current doctor-population ratio has been worked out to be approximately 1:2000. |
A large number of steps have been taken to address shortage of doctors, specialists and faculty in the country:
1. The norms for setting up of a medical college in terms of requirement for land, faculty, staff, bed/ bed strength and other infrastructure have been relaxed.
2. Teacher-student ratio has been relaxed to increase the seats at Postgraduate level.
3. DNB qualifications have been recognized for appointment to various faculty posts in medical colleges.
4. Maximum intake capacity at MBBS level has been increased from 150 to 250.
5. Maximum age for appointment of faculty has been enhanced from 65 to 70 years.
6. 46 new medical colleges have been set up between 2009-11.
7. Under the scheme of `Strengthening and Upgradation of State Government Medical Colleges`, financial support to State medical colleges is being provided to increase postgraduate seats in various disciplines or start new postgraduate medical courses.
This information was laid by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Shri Ghulam Nabi Azad in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :77859)