English Release 25-May 2013
- Presidents Secretariat
- President calls upon every University to identify at least one Department that can be made into a Centre of Excellence
- Speech by the Hon’ble President at the Inauguration of Maharaja Agrasen University,Solan, Himachal Pradesh, on May 25, 2013
- Min of Defence
- Shri R K Mathur takes over as the New Defence Secretary
- Min of Law & Justice
- Government to go in for a Stand-Alone Central Legislation to Curb any Dishonest Activity in Sports
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
- Conference of Ministers and Secretaries of States and Union Territories in-Charge of Sports & Youth Affairs Concludes in New Delhi
Ministry of Earth Science21-May, 2012 15:48 IST
|Wireless Technology System to Predict Natural Calamities|
|The Minister of State for Planning, Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Dr Ashwani Kumar stated in Rajya Sabha today that so far no technology system is developed to predict natural calamities in the country. However, a pilot deployment of a tailored real time wireless sensor network (WSN) is designed and developed by the Amrita University for monitoring and detection of heavy rainfall induced landslides only over a selected hill slope of Munnar, Kerala. Extensive field experiments will have to be conducted for determining the effects of density of the nodes, vegetation, location of sensor columns etc., for detecting rainfall induced landslides that may possibly help in the development of low cost wireless sensor network for landslide detection in the future.
The Minister further stated that the research group of the Amrita University is encouraged fully to fine tune and firm-up the methodology, as per the details at part-b) above, by the Government of India and North East Council.
Dr. Kumar said that Customized WSN systems, in a proof-of-concept mode, have been developed for drought monitoring in Taiwan and Africa, weather alerts in Thailand, Coastal Erosion Monitoring in India.
(Release ID :84234)