English Release 20-September 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President Congratulates Medal Winners in
Asian Games 2014
- President of India condoles the passing away of Uppalapu Srinivas
- Prime Minister's Office
- Sashastra Seema Bal, SRM University and ITC make donations for PMNRF
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Suicide prevention a health priority: Health Minister
- Health Ministry to take up anti-noise pollution initiatives
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Bharat Pensioners’ Samaj donates to Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund
- Min of Women and Child Development
- Corrigendum for Press Release issued on 19th Sept, 2014 on Meeting of Mrs Melinda Gates and Mr Bill Gates with Smt Maneka Sanjay Gandhi
Ministry of Agriculture22-May, 2012 16:31 IST
|Regulatory Authority to be Set Up on Bio-Technology |
|Government has prepared a draft Bill to establish Biotechnology Regulatory Authority of India. According to the Biotechnology Regulatory Authority of India (BRAI) Bill, 2012, the Authority will be an autonomous and statutory agency to regulate the research, transport, import, manufacture and use of organisms and products of modern bio-technology. |
The Authority shall consist of a Chairperson, two whole-time Members and two part-time members, each with expertise in life sciences and biotechnology applications in agriculture, health care, environment and general biology. The Bill provides for setting up of Inter- ministerial Governing Board to oversee the performance of the Authority and a National Biotechnology Advisory Council of stakeholders to provide feedback on use of organisms and products of biotechnology in society.
The Bill also provides for an elaborate risk assessment process involving scientific panels of experts and representatives of concerned ministries including a special public review system for evaluation of applications before final approvals.
This information was given by Shri Harish Rawat, Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Processing Industries in written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha today.
MP:SB: CP: regulatory (22.5.2012)
(Release ID :84347)