English Release 31-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Education will be the single biggest transformative factor in catapulting India into the league of developed nations, says President
- President of India congratulates Pankaj Advani on achieving 12th world title in Leeds
- President pays floral tributes to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of PM’s address at 'Run For Unity' at Rajpath on the occasion of Rashtriya Ekta Diwas
- PM receives personal belongings of Sardar Patel, on his 139th birth anniversary
- Sidelights – Run For Unity Event at Rajpath, New Delhi
- PM flags off, joins Run For Unity on Sardar Patel Jayanti
- PM remembers Smt. Indira Gandhi on her Punya Tithi
- PM pays tributes to Sardar Patel on his birth anniversary
- Min of Agriculture
- Kharif Rice Area Coverage
- Min of Commerce & Industry
- Index of Eight Core Industries (Base: 2004-05=100), September, 2014
- Department of Commerce calls for creative participation for India’s participation at Hannover Messe
- Min of Defence
- Minor Incident Involving Naval Ship
- Indian Warships Visit to Port Louis
- Ministry of Finance
- Auction for Sale (Re-Issue) of Government Stocks
Major Focus of the Government is to Bring Back the Growth Momentum: Finance Minister
- Auction for Sale (Re-Issue ) of ‘8.30 per cent Government Stock, 2040’
Auction for Sale of a new Government Stock of 19 Years
Auction for Sale (Re-Issue ) of ‘8.60 per cent Government Stock, 2028’
- Auction for Sale (Re-Issue) of ‘8.27 per cent Government Stock, 2020’
- Subash Chandra Garg Relieved to take up His New Assignment As Executive Director, World Bank, Washington D.C.
- Rajiv Mehrishi takes over as Secretry, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- MoU with Spain on organ transplantation soon
- Min of Home Affairs
- Text of Home Minister's speech at NPA, Hyderabad
- Cyber Crime Prevention Strategy will be Strengthened: Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh
- Home Secretary Administers Rashtriya Ekta Diwas Pledge
- “Police Stations should become Temples of Justice,” says Rajnath Singh
- Min of Human Resource Development
- 2nd Meeting of SAARC Education Ministers Held
- Min of Parliamentary Affairs
- Standing Committee on Railways invites suggestions on Railways(Amendment) Bill, 2014
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants) Examination, 2014 Declaration of Result of Written Part
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Constitution of Steering Committee for successful implementation of “Make in India” campaign in the Oil and Gas Industry.
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 84.77 per bbl on 30.10.2014
- Ministry of Railways
- Railway Protection Force hosting 15th All Indian Police Band Competition
- Min of Road Transport & Highways
- Institute of Driving Training & Research to be inaugurated tomorrow at Pune
- Electronic Toll Collection System makes Delhi-Mumbai Drive Faster and Cheaper
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Storage Status of 85 Important Reservoirs of the Country as on October 30, 2014
- Min of Women and Child Development
- SRB to be raised by 10 basis points every year
Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation29-June, 2012 15:55 IST
|Statistics Day 2012 Celebrated |
|The Union Minister of State (I/C) for Statistics & Programme Implementation Shri Srikant Kumar Jena has said that his Department has been undertaking systematic and sustained efforts on continuous basis to make available appropriate Industrial Statistics to the planners and policy makers for effective policy planning in the country. |
Speaking on the celebrations of 6th Statistics Day here today, Shri Jena said that the theme this year has been chosen as ‘Industrial Statistics’ mainly because of its significant relevance in the context of economic development process. He said, it is expected that the focus on the theme of Industrial Statistics shall pave way for further improvement and strengthening of collection and dissemination of information pertaining to Industrial Statistics.
The Statistics Day is being celebrated on the birth anniversary of Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis, an eminent statistician whose contribution to the field of applied statistics and development planning is un-parallel. Dr Kaushik Basu, Chief Economic Adviser, Ministry of Finance, Government of India was also present on the occasion.
Shri Jena informed that his Ministry has been taking numerous steps to strengthen the capacity of statistical system, particularly at States, to improve the reliability and credibility of various data being produced in the country at different levels. It includes India Statistical Strengthening Project (ISSP) that is one of the major initiatives to strengthen the State statistical system in the country. He talked about the strengthening of Statistical system through various initiatives like signing of MoUs with Government of Afghanistan, EuroStat, with SAARC countries and statistical cooperation among BRICS national statistical organizations.
The Minister spoke about the importance of industrial sector, its contribution to Indian economy and the significant role played by industrial statistics in the Indian economy, both for research and policy-making. He informed that the Central Government plans to conduct the Sixth Economic Census as a Central Sector Plan Scheme in collaboration with all State and Union Territory Governments. He stressed on the need for timeliness and consistency of data for its proper utility and to ensure the credibility of the statistical system. While concluding he asked the entire statistical fraternity in the country to adopt highly professional approach by following scientific principles, standards, protocol, cautious and rigorous approach to maintain high standards for ensuring the confidence of various stakeholders, which shall be a true tribute to Professor Mahalanobis by carrying forward his legacy.
Earlier, the Minister gave away National Award for outstanding and meritorious research work in statistics constituted in the honour of Prof. P.V. Sukhatme to Prof. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee and Prof. Jayant Vinayak Deshpande for the year 2011-12.
On the occasion, the Minster released two Statistical Publications “Millennium Development Goal-India Country Report, 2011”and “India in Figures”.
(Release ID :85078)