English Release 11-March 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President of India condemns attack by left wing extremists on security personnel in Chhattisgarh
- President accepts resignation of D. Purandeswari from the Council of Ministers
- President of India presents standard to 112 HU and colours to 4 BRD of Indian Air Force
- Election Commission
- Fact Sheet on Haryana
- Fact Sheet on Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- Fact Sheet on Chandigarh
- Election Expenditure per elector up by twenty times in 2009 compared to first General Elections
- Fact Sheet on NCT of Delhi
- Press Note
- Min of Civil Aviation
- India Aviation – 2014 : A Curtain Raiser
- Min of Commerce & Industry
- India’s Foreign Trade: February, 2014
- Min of Culture
- 124th Foundation Day Celebrations of National Archives of India
- Ministry of Finance
CBEC Denies any Holding of Customs, Excise Duty and Service Tax Refunds/Drawbacks
- Min of Home Affairs
National Workshop on Civil Registration
- Min of New and Renewable Energy
- India and Sudan Agree to Promote Cooperation in Renewable Energy
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Civil Services (Main) Examination,2013- Result Declared
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket declines to 105.46 per bbl on 10.3.2014
- Planning Commission
- India-US Energy Dialogue
Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation29-June, 2012 15:55 IST
|Statistics Day 2012 Celebrated |
|The Union Minister of State (I/C) for Statistics & Programme Implementation Shri Srikant Kumar Jena has said that his Department has been undertaking systematic and sustained efforts on continuous basis to make available appropriate Industrial Statistics to the planners and policy makers for effective policy planning in the country. |
Speaking on the celebrations of 6th Statistics Day here today, Shri Jena said that the theme this year has been chosen as ‘Industrial Statistics’ mainly because of its significant relevance in the context of economic development process. He said, it is expected that the focus on the theme of Industrial Statistics shall pave way for further improvement and strengthening of collection and dissemination of information pertaining to Industrial Statistics.
The Statistics Day is being celebrated on the birth anniversary of Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis, an eminent statistician whose contribution to the field of applied statistics and development planning is un-parallel. Dr Kaushik Basu, Chief Economic Adviser, Ministry of Finance, Government of India was also present on the occasion.
Shri Jena informed that his Ministry has been taking numerous steps to strengthen the capacity of statistical system, particularly at States, to improve the reliability and credibility of various data being produced in the country at different levels. It includes India Statistical Strengthening Project (ISSP) that is one of the major initiatives to strengthen the State statistical system in the country. He talked about the strengthening of Statistical system through various initiatives like signing of MoUs with Government of Afghanistan, EuroStat, with SAARC countries and statistical cooperation among BRICS national statistical organizations.
The Minister spoke about the importance of industrial sector, its contribution to Indian economy and the significant role played by industrial statistics in the Indian economy, both for research and policy-making. He informed that the Central Government plans to conduct the Sixth Economic Census as a Central Sector Plan Scheme in collaboration with all State and Union Territory Governments. He stressed on the need for timeliness and consistency of data for its proper utility and to ensure the credibility of the statistical system. While concluding he asked the entire statistical fraternity in the country to adopt highly professional approach by following scientific principles, standards, protocol, cautious and rigorous approach to maintain high standards for ensuring the confidence of various stakeholders, which shall be a true tribute to Professor Mahalanobis by carrying forward his legacy.
Earlier, the Minister gave away National Award for outstanding and meritorious research work in statistics constituted in the honour of Prof. P.V. Sukhatme to Prof. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee and Prof. Jayant Vinayak Deshpande for the year 2011-12.
On the occasion, the Minster released two Statistical Publications “Millennium Development Goal-India Country Report, 2011”and “India in Figures”.
(Release ID :85078)