English Release 21-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Envoys of five nations present credentials to President of India
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets People on Deepawali
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM’s Telephone Conversation with Prime Minister of Malaysia
- PM to be in Srinagar on Diwali, 23rd October; will spend the day with flood-affected people
- PM salutes the bravery of our policemen on Police Commemoration Day
- PM greets the nation on Dhanteras
- Min of Agriculture
- National Seeds Corporation Hands Over Dividend Cheque to Union Agriculture Minister
- Radha Mohan Singh emphasizes the need to increase Productivity of Milch Cattle
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- Indian Deegation to the ITU Conference Lead by Communications and Information Technology Minister Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad called for Democratisation of Global Affairs of Telecommunications and Internet Governance
- Min of Corporate Affairs
- Merger of National Spot Exchange Limited
- Google Case
- Min of Culture
- Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism, Shri Shripad Naik launches the National Portal for Museums
- Ministry of Finance
- Project Report on “DRISHTI” Submitted to Finance Minister
- Min of Mines
- Mineral Production During August 2014
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- ACC Appointments
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Production Performance of Oil & Natural Gas Sector for the month of September, 2014
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 84.12 per bbl on 20.10.2014
- Min of Road Transport & Highways
- Electronic Toll Collection: A Uniform Standard of Service to Commuters
- Min of Science & Technology
- Dr. Jitendra Singh announces hike in fellowship amount to Research Scientists
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- India Won 2 Gold, 1silver & 3 Bronze at 2nd Asian Para Games 2014 on 20th October, 2014
- Min of Steel
- Ministry of Steel to set up “Steel Research & Technology Mission of India”
Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation29-June, 2012 15:55 IST
|Statistics Day 2012 Celebrated |
|The Union Minister of State (I/C) for Statistics & Programme Implementation Shri Srikant Kumar Jena has said that his Department has been undertaking systematic and sustained efforts on continuous basis to make available appropriate Industrial Statistics to the planners and policy makers for effective policy planning in the country. |
Speaking on the celebrations of 6th Statistics Day here today, Shri Jena said that the theme this year has been chosen as ‘Industrial Statistics’ mainly because of its significant relevance in the context of economic development process. He said, it is expected that the focus on the theme of Industrial Statistics shall pave way for further improvement and strengthening of collection and dissemination of information pertaining to Industrial Statistics.
The Statistics Day is being celebrated on the birth anniversary of Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis, an eminent statistician whose contribution to the field of applied statistics and development planning is un-parallel. Dr Kaushik Basu, Chief Economic Adviser, Ministry of Finance, Government of India was also present on the occasion.
Shri Jena informed that his Ministry has been taking numerous steps to strengthen the capacity of statistical system, particularly at States, to improve the reliability and credibility of various data being produced in the country at different levels. It includes India Statistical Strengthening Project (ISSP) that is one of the major initiatives to strengthen the State statistical system in the country. He talked about the strengthening of Statistical system through various initiatives like signing of MoUs with Government of Afghanistan, EuroStat, with SAARC countries and statistical cooperation among BRICS national statistical organizations.
The Minister spoke about the importance of industrial sector, its contribution to Indian economy and the significant role played by industrial statistics in the Indian economy, both for research and policy-making. He informed that the Central Government plans to conduct the Sixth Economic Census as a Central Sector Plan Scheme in collaboration with all State and Union Territory Governments. He stressed on the need for timeliness and consistency of data for its proper utility and to ensure the credibility of the statistical system. While concluding he asked the entire statistical fraternity in the country to adopt highly professional approach by following scientific principles, standards, protocol, cautious and rigorous approach to maintain high standards for ensuring the confidence of various stakeholders, which shall be a true tribute to Professor Mahalanobis by carrying forward his legacy.
Earlier, the Minister gave away National Award for outstanding and meritorious research work in statistics constituted in the honour of Prof. P.V. Sukhatme to Prof. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee and Prof. Jayant Vinayak Deshpande for the year 2011-12.
On the occasion, the Minster released two Statistical Publications “Millennium Development Goal-India Country Report, 2011”and “India in Figures”.
(Release ID :85078)