English Release 28-July 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President congratulates medal winners in
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets Citizens On Id-Ul-Fitr
- Prime Minister's Office
- Foreign Minister of Uganda calls on PM
- Election Commission
- Bye-elections to the State Legislative Council of Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra by the Members of Legislative Assembly
- Min of Agriculture
Rashtriya Gokul Mission Aims to Conserve and Develop Indigenous Breeds
- Min of Defence
- IAF Receives the 6th C-17 Globemaster III in the Presence of Hon’ble Defence Minister Shri Arun Jaitley
- BEL-Bangalore Complex Certified for ISO 27001
- Min of Environment and Forests
- Advertising campaign to be launched to popularize Science Express- Biodiversity Special- Prakash Javadekar
- Ministry of Finance
- Auction for sale (Re-Issue) of Government Stock
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- “Mass awareness required on simple steps to control diarrhoea”
- Min of Home Affairs
- Union Home Minister reviews Disaster Management and Border Management Divisions
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Special Class Railway Apprentices’ Examination, 2014
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket increased marginally to
US$ 106.01 per bbl on 25.07.2014
- Min of Shipping
- Kanika Sands Transshipment Zone
- Min of Textiles
Textiles Vision Document Projects Textiles Export to Touch US $ 300 Billion by the Year 2024-25
- Min of Urban Development
- Bio-metric attendance system soon for employees of urban ministries
- Min of Women and Child Development
- The Number of Beneficiaries Covered under ICPS on the Rise
- Total of 3924 Children placed in In-Country adoption during 2013-14
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
- India wins 5 Medals on Day 4 of the Commonwealth Games 2014
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare21-August, 2012 16:23 IST
|Shortage of Doctors|
| The current doctor-population ratio in the country is estimated to be around 1:2000. Though, there are no specific standards/norms which prescribes doctor-population ratio, the High Level Expert Group on Universal Health Coverage for India constituted by the Planning Commission in its report, has inter-alia recommended increase of availability of doctors to 1:1000 population. |
There are various factors, including shortage of doctors, which impact the mortality rate in the country. The Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) and Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR) have declined over the past few years. IMR has come down from 58 per 1000 live births in the year 2005 to 47 per 1000 live births in the year 2010. Similarly, MMR has also come down from 254 per lakh live births in 2004-06 to 212 per lakh live births in 2007-09.
The Government has already taken a large number of steps to address shortage of doctors, specialists and faculty in the country which include:
(i) Relaxation in the norms for setting up of a medical college in terms of requirement for land, faculty, staff, bed/ bed strength and other infrastructure.
(ii) Relaxation in teacher-student ratio to increase the seats at Postgraduate level.
(iii) Enhancement of maximum intake capacity at MBBS level from 150 to 250.
(iv) Enhancement of age limit for appointment/extension/re-employment against posts of teachers/dean/principal/ director in medical colleges from 65 to 70 years.
(v) Financial support to State medical colleges, under the scheme of “Strengthening and Upgradation of State Government Medical Colleges”, to increase postgraduate seats in various disciplines or to start new postgraduate medical courses
(vi) Financial support under National Rural Health Mission for engagement of staff on contractual basis.
(vii)Approval for establishment of eight AIIMS-like institutions (six in first phase and two in second phase) in the country under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yozana (PMSSY).
The above information was given by the Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare Shri Ghulam Nabi Azad in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :86392)