English Release 30-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
President to flag off the ‘Run for Unity’ tomorrow at Rashtrapati Bhavan
- Vice President's Secretariat
- STUDENTS FROM J&K UNDER AEGIS OF SADBHAVNA EDUCATIONAL /MOTIVATIONAL TOUR CALL ON VICE PRESIDENT
- Vice President Inaugurates 7th Asia-Pacific Heart Rhythm Scientific Session
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM condoles loss of lives in Sri Lanka landslide
- Shri Azim Premji calls on the Prime Minister
- Goa CM calls on PM
- Department of Space
- Engineers’ Conclave-2014 to be held in Bangalore
- Min of Agriculture
- Shaida Moh. Abdali Afghanistan Ambassador Calls on
Union Agriculture Minister Shri Radha Mohan Singh
- Good Performance of NCDC
- Min of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
- Sugar production estimated 250.46 lakh tons during 2014-15
- Ministry of Finance
- Government Committed to Increase Savings Rate in the Country: Secretary, Financial Services;
- Finance Minister Asks the Senior Officers of the Income Tax Department not to Lose Sight of Domestic Black Money
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
For ending TB, Dr Harsh Vardhan calls for “Power of belief”
- Min of Home Affairs
- Activities on Rashtriya Ekta Diwas celebrations on 31st October
- Union Home Minister Approves Grant of Higher Compensation to Victims of Riots, Naxal and Terrorist Violence
- Min of Human Resource Development
- Ministry of HRD to Host 2nd Meeting of SAARC Education Ministers
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Early closure of Government Offices today in connection with the “Run for Unity” flag off at Vijay Chowk
- ACC Appointments
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 85.14 per bbl on 29.10.2014
- Min of Urban Development
- Japan offers assistance in promoting Intelligent Transport Systems
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Uma Bharti to Visit Kanpur Tomorrow
- Min of Women and Child Development
- Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi to hold first round of Regional Consultations on Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme in Chandigarh tomorrow
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare21-August, 2012 16:23 IST
|Shortage of Doctors|
| The current doctor-population ratio in the country is estimated to be around 1:2000. Though, there are no specific standards/norms which prescribes doctor-population ratio, the High Level Expert Group on Universal Health Coverage for India constituted by the Planning Commission in its report, has inter-alia recommended increase of availability of doctors to 1:1000 population. |
There are various factors, including shortage of doctors, which impact the mortality rate in the country. The Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) and Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR) have declined over the past few years. IMR has come down from 58 per 1000 live births in the year 2005 to 47 per 1000 live births in the year 2010. Similarly, MMR has also come down from 254 per lakh live births in 2004-06 to 212 per lakh live births in 2007-09.
The Government has already taken a large number of steps to address shortage of doctors, specialists and faculty in the country which include:
(i) Relaxation in the norms for setting up of a medical college in terms of requirement for land, faculty, staff, bed/ bed strength and other infrastructure.
(ii) Relaxation in teacher-student ratio to increase the seats at Postgraduate level.
(iii) Enhancement of maximum intake capacity at MBBS level from 150 to 250.
(iv) Enhancement of age limit for appointment/extension/re-employment against posts of teachers/dean/principal/ director in medical colleges from 65 to 70 years.
(v) Financial support to State medical colleges, under the scheme of “Strengthening and Upgradation of State Government Medical Colleges”, to increase postgraduate seats in various disciplines or to start new postgraduate medical courses
(vi) Financial support under National Rural Health Mission for engagement of staff on contractual basis.
(vii)Approval for establishment of eight AIIMS-like institutions (six in first phase and two in second phase) in the country under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yozana (PMSSY).
The above information was given by the Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare Shri Ghulam Nabi Azad in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :86392)