English Release 1-February 2015
- President's Secretariat
- President of India congratulates Leander Paes for winning the Australian Open Mixed Doubles title
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM congratulates Indian Tennis Player, Leander Paes on the Mixed Doubles win at Australian Open
- PM salutes coast guard personnel on 38th Raising Day of Indian Coast Guard
- Department of Space
- Indian Space scientists working on new breakthroughs: Dr. Jitendra Singh
- Min of Culture
- The 17th Bharat Rang Mahotsav organized by NSD begins
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Centre closely monitoring situation on H1N1, all assistance extended to states: Sh J P Nadda
- Min of Social Justice & Empowerment
- Raahgiri Day for the Persons with Disabilities Held
Ministry of Railways29-October, 2012 17:32 IST
|Shri Pawan Kumar Bansal Takes Over as Minister of Railways |
|Shri Pawan Kumar Bansal assumed charge as the Union Minister of Railways here today i.e. October 29, 2012. Prior to this, Shri Bansal was Union Minister of Parliament Affairs and Water Resources. He is a Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) from Chandigarh constituency. Immediately after assuming the office, the Shri Bansal was briefed by Shri Vinay Mittal, Chairman Railway Board, Board Members and senior officers on various important issues concerning the Railway ministry including the priority areas. |
Shri Bansal held the office of Minister of State for Finance and Parliamentary Affairs in the previous UPA Government. He was re-elected to the 15th Lok Sabha and elevated as Cabinet Minister of Parliamentary Affairs in the current Central Government.
Shri Bansal is a law graduate from Punjab University, Chandigarh and is Advocate by profession. He was elected as Member, Rajya Sabha in 1984 and served as Member of the Committee on Subordinate Legislation, Rajya Sabha during 1984-86, Member on Panel of Vice-Chairmen, Rajya Sabha and Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Human Resource Development from 1985-87. He was elected to the 10th Lok Sabha in 1991, and re-elected to 13th Lok Sabha for the second term in 1999 and 14th Lok Sabha for the third term in 2004. He also served as Chairman of the Joint Parliamentary Committee on 83rd Constitution Amendment Bill and Representation of People (Amendment) Bill as well as Chairman of the Committee on Communications and Committee on Privileges etc.
He took interest in various social and welfare activities which included Youth Camps, Medical Aid camps, Legal Aid programmes, National Integration and Communal Harmony programmes, Education, Environment and Electoral Reforms. As a widely travelled person, Shri Bansal was leader and Member of various Indian delegations and participated in various international conferences.
(Note : Photograph available at PIB website i.e. www.pib.nic.in)
(Release ID :88683)