English Release 21-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Envoys of five nations present credentials to President of India
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets People on Deepawali
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM’s Telephone Conversation with Prime Minister of Malaysia
- PM to be in Srinagar on Diwali, 23rd October; will spend the day with flood-affected people
- PM salutes the bravery of our policemen on Police Commemoration Day
- PM greets the nation on Dhanteras
- Min of Agriculture
- National Seeds Corporation Hands Over Dividend Cheque to Union Agriculture Minister
- Radha Mohan Singh emphasizes the need to increase Productivity of Milch Cattle
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- Indian Deegation to the ITU Conference Lead by Communications and Information Technology Minister Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad called for Democratisation of Global Affairs of Telecommunications and Internet Governance
- Min of Corporate Affairs
- Merger of National Spot Exchange Limited
- Google Case
- Min of Culture
- Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism, Shri Shripad Naik launches the National Portal for Museums
- Ministry of Finance
- Project Report on “DRISHTI” Submitted to Finance Minister
- Min of Mines
- Mineral Production During August 2014
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- ACC Appointments
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Production Performance of Oil & Natural Gas Sector for the month of September, 2014
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 84.12 per bbl on 20.10.2014
- Min of Road Transport & Highways
- Electronic Toll Collection: A Uniform Standard of Service to Commuters
- Min of Science & Technology
- Dr. Jitendra Singh announces hike in fellowship amount to Research Scientists
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- India Won 2 Gold, 1silver & 3 Bronze at 2nd Asian Para Games 2014 on 20th October, 2014
- Min of Steel
- Ministry of Steel to set up “Steel Research & Technology Mission of India”
Ministry of Food Processing Industries07-November, 2012 17:32 IST
Food Processing is Growing more than Agri and Manufacturing Sectors, turning Farmers into Entrepreneurs: Shri Pawar |
NIFTEM, A World-Class Institution on Food Processing, inaugurated at Kundli, Haryana
|If there is one sector that has been growing faster than agriculture as well as manufacturing sectors, has the potential to create jobs in the rural areas, bridge the gap between the price paid by the consumer and that received by the farmer and create value addition and earn foreign exchange by export of value-added farm produce, it is the Food Processing Sector. In addition, this sector does not only remain a bridge between farmers and entrepreneurs, it converts the farmer into an entrepreneur.|
This was stated by the Agriculture and Food Processing Industries Minister, Shri Sharad Pawar after inaugurating NIFTEM, a world-class institution in food processing sector, at Kundli, Haryana, today. Haryana Chief Minister, Shri Bhupinder Singh Hooda, Minister of Water Resources Shri Harish Rawat, Ministers of State Shri Tariq Anwar and Shri C D Mahant, Member of the Planning Commission, Shri Arun Maira, and local Members of Parliament and Legislative Assembly were present on the occasion.
While highlighting the huge potential of this ‘sunrise sector’, Shri Pawar also spoke about the challenges the sector faces and how NIFTEM will help the sector to grow. “Though a sunrise sector, it is facing various bottlenecks like lack of infrastructure, packaging and grading centres quality control and testing facilities. However, I consider, lack of human resource as one of the most important impediments in the development of this sector. Many entrepreneurs meet me and tell how difficult it is to get skilled manpower to work. It is in this background, the foundation of NIFTEM was laid. This institute is expected to bring a pioneering work in development of Human Resource in the food processing sector,” he said.
Shri Pawar said that NIFTEM will provide one-stop solution to the food processing sector. He elaborated: “Besides developing world class managerial talent and advanced knowhow in the area of food science, food technology and management, it will function as a knowledge repository in the food processing domain, conduct frontier area research for development of the sector and facilitate business incubation services. The Institute will offer high quality education, research and management programme specific to the food industry, provide referral advice on food standards, disseminate knowledge on the food sector and provide business incubation facility.
The Institute will also provide other core activities to bridge the skill gap between demand and availability, provide complete spectrum of consultancy services to food processing industries, strive for promoting Innovation in the sector and work for upgradation of SME clusters.”
One important aspect of its functioning is that it has ‘theme centres’ on different sectors such as dairying, cereal-based products, animal protein, beverages, confectionery, and fruit and vegetable based foods. There are also themes cutting across these sectors, e.g. management, packaging, food standards and testing, Shri Pawar said.
Earlier, Minister of Water Resources, Shri Harish Rawat expressed the hope that NIFTEM will bridge the serious shortage of skilled manpower in this sector.
The MOS, Shri Tariq Anwar emphasised the need for modernising the complex distribution system of farm commodities. Chancellor of the institute, Shri Rakesh Kacker gave details of the state of art facilities created at the institute.
NIFTEM or the National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management has recently been conferred Deemed University status. The institute has begun its first academic session this summer. It confers B. Tech. (Food Technology and Management), M. Tech. and Ph. D. in the area of Food Technology and Management. The Minister informed that the first academic session, which began this summer, has 115 students in B. Tech and 88 in M. Tech, and these students ranked quite high in competitive examinations.
MP:CP: NIFTEM (7.11.2012)
(Release ID :88891)