English Release 24-May 2013
- Presidents Secretariat
- We must find answers for reversing the degradation of values, says President
- President’s Buddha Purnima Greetings
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets Citizens on Buddha Purnima
- Prime Minister's Office
- Prime Minister’s Speech at SEBI’s Silver Jubilee Celebration
- PM Greets the Nation on Buddha Purnima
- Min of Agriculture
- Kharif Sowing Crosses 60 Lakh Hectare
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- NIELIT, Srinagar will contribute to the growth of J&K, Dr. Killi Kruparani
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakram – Saving Mothers and Newborns
- Azad concludes two-day visit to Sweden
- Min of Human Resource Development
- Block Institutes of Teachers Education to be Established in 196 SC/ST/Minority Concentrated Districts
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Press Note
- Petroleum Ministry Refutes allegations regarding Proposed Gas Price Revision
- Production Performance of Oil & Natural Gas sector for the month of April, 2013
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket declines sharply to
99.37/US$ bbl on 23.5.2013
- Min of Power
- Hindi Advisory Committee of Ministry of Power for effective implementation of Official Language
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Storage of Important Reservoirs in the Country (as on 25 April 2013)
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
- Financial assistance from National Sports Development Fund to Mary Kom Regional Boxing Foundation, Imphal
Conference of Ministers and Secretaries of States And Union Territories in-Charge of Sports & Youth Affairs Begins in New Delhi
- Planning Commission
UIDAI launches Aadhaar based Iris Authentication, eKYC, One Time PIN New Services and Permanent Enrolment Centres
Ministry of Human Resource Development11-November, 2012 17:2 IST
|President Unveils Aakash Version 2.0 Tablet on National Education Day |
Launches Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development
|The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee took the occasion of National Education Day to release and dedicate to the nation, the innovative and modestly-priced Aakash Version 2.0 tablet in New Delhi today. |
Unveiled in the presence of Dr. M.M. Pallam Raju, Union Minister of Human Resource Development, Sh Jitin Prasada and Dr Shashi Tharoor, Ministers of State for Human Resource Development, Aakash Version 2.0 is a full-fledged tablet computer . IIT Bombay along with the Ministry of Human Resource Development has created several useful educational applications for the tablet. Teachers and students in the remotest corners of India can join a classroom and benefit from lectures delivered by the best teachers.
Some of the initiatives in technology-enabled education that can run on Aakash Version 2.0 tablet include Ten Thousand Teachers Training Programme – a live video interaction with participants , Clicker applications for real time feedback in country-wide classroom, Daisy Books for differently-abled students, NCERT content , GNU Khata- an accounting package for barefoot accountants in rural areas and Scholarship Portal integrated with Aadhar.
On National Education Day, which is also the 124th birth anniversary of Independent India’s first Education Minister , Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, rich tributes were paid to the great freedom fighter and eminent educationist.
President Mukherjee recalled the great visionary and extolled his exemplary contribution to nation –building, promoting secularism and particularly his indelible imprints in the field of education and culture. Sh Mukherjee also appreciated the launch of UNESCO’s Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development, which is the first Category-I Institute of India to be set up in entire Asia.
Crediting Maulana Azad for laying the foundations of India’s education system, Dr M M Pallam Raju said The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act (2009) is indeed a major step forward in concretizing Maulana’s vision of free and compulsory education for all. He said we need to promote research and innovation in our institutions and create the right educational eco-system because in a knowledge economy, the wealth of a nation will not be measured in terms of its natural resources but in terms of its human capital. The Minister said even more important than development of job skills is the need to develop appropriate values of tolerance, non-violence, secularism and humanism amongst children and youth.
Pointing out that educational indicators for SC, ST, Minorities, Girls, OBCs and persons with disabilities show much lower levels in comparison to the general population, Sh Jitin Prasada, Minister of State for HRD said we need to understand the importance of enhancing educational participation by all sections of our society which is significant for achieving overall growth and development.
Drawing attention to a world undergoing several unprecedented changes in almost every sphere of human life, Dr Shashi Tharoor, Minister of State for HRD said it is all the more imperative that India bring about far-reaching educational reforms to cope with these dynamic challenges.
Dr. Karan Singh, India’s designated Representative to UNESCO, and Ms. Irina Bokova, Director-General UNESCO also spoke on the occasion. On the occasion, a brochure on Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development was also released.
(Release ID :88984)