English Release 26-January 2015
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Condoles the Passing Away of Shri R.K.Laxman
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM condoles the demise of Eminent Cartoonist RK Laxman
- PM's remarks at India-US CEO Forum
- Remarks by Prime Minister at the India-U.S. Business Summit
- PM gives best wishes to people of Australia on Australia Day
- PM greets the Nation on Republic Day
Prime Minister's Office16-November, 2012 11:40 IST
|PM's message on National Press Day |
|The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh has greeted the members of the Press on the occasion of National Press Day.|
In a message, the Prime Minister said,
"A free and fair media has been an essential pillar of our democracy. Since our struggle for freedom, media has been guiding social change, informing readers of their rights and contributing to the nation-building process by spreading awareness.
As a country, we believe in complete independence of the media from external control. It is true that sometimes irresponsible journalism can have serious consequences for social harmony and public order, which the public authorities have an obligation to maintain, but censorship is no answer. It is for the members of the Fourth Estate themselves to collectively ensure that objectivity is promoted and sensationalism is curbed. It is for them to introspect how best they can serve our country and society and advance their well being."
(Release ID :89068)