English Release 23-August 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President Inaugurates 6th Edition of KKM Memorial Gold Cup - Rural Football Tournament
- President Underlines Importance of Quality Education
- President of India Condoles The Passing Away of U R Ananthamurthy
- President calls upon IITs to play a pivotal role in developing newer cutting edge technologies
- Prime Minister's Office
- Gujarat CM calls on PM
- PM condoles loss of life in floods in the states of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Assam
- PM meets youth of Gujjar-Bakkarwal communities from Jammu and Kashmir
- Prime Minister receives Tamil National Alliance delegation
- Min of Agriculture
- Union Agriculture Minister lays Foundation Stone for Saffron Park Project at Pampore, Pulwama
- Min of Defence
- First Indigenously Built Stealth Anti-Submarine Warfare Ship- INS Kamorta- Commissioned
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- All systems in AIIMS under review: Dr Harsh Vardhan
- Min of Human Resource Development
- India-South Australia Collaboration in Education and Vocational Training Sector
- Min of Social Justice & Empowerment
- States should emphasise on Empowerment and Inclusion of the Disabled, says Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment
- Min of Steel
- Shri Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurates “Heat Hardening Pelletisation Unit” at SAIL, Ranchi
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Brahmaputra in High Flood Situation
- Ghagra Continues to Flow in High Flood Situation
Ministry of Defence22-November, 2012 17:32 IST
|Allegation of Non-Payment of Pensionary Benefits to Nk Surender Singh not Correct |
|In a press conference today, retired Nk Surender Singh of 2 GRENADIERS and an ex NSG Commando expressed some grievances against the government. These pertained to alleged lack of adequate compensation and financial benefits to those who were killed/injured in the 26/11, Operation Black Tornado in Mumbai. Response with respect to the issues raised is enumerated in succeeding paragraphs. |
In the 26/11 Mumbai operations, one Officer and one Non Commissioned Officer were martyred and 17 Officers and Other Ranks were injured. Both martyrs Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan and Havildar Gajender Singh were awarded the Ashok Chakra (Posthumous). The NOK of Major Unnikrishnan got a financial compensation of approximately Rs.1.3 Crores and a flat. Similarly, the wife of Havildar Gajender Singh received approximately Rs.1.27 Crore, a petrol pump and a flat. His mother too received Rs.15 Lakhs approximately. Both these personnel also received enhanced pension benefits as applicable in the Army.
As regards the injured, there were one Kirti Chakra, two Shourya Chakra, six Sena Medals, one Mention in Despatch and three Chief of the Army Staff Commendation Cards awarded. Four persons with grievous injuries received financial compensation of Rs.4.8 lakh each and others with lesser injuries received Rs.2.3 lakh each.
NSG is a deputation organization where personnel from the Army serve for three years and those from the CAPF, for 5 years. Nk Surender Singh came to the NSG on 9 May 2007. He suffered Acoustic Trauma during the Mumbai operations and became a permanent Low Medical Category on account of Sensory Neural Deafness of the Left Ear. In the normal Course, he would have been reverted to his parent unit 2 GRENADIERS on completion of his three year tenure on 8 May 2010. However, on compassionate grounds, he was retained in the NSG till 15 October 2011, when he was boarded out by a Medical Board at Army Base Hospital Delhi under the aegis of HQ Delhi Area.
Nk Surender Singh has been sanctioned pensionary and terminal benefits viz-a-viz retirement gratuity Rs.2,11,458/-, Commutation of pension Rs.11,35,809/-, Armed Forces PF Rs.6,48,195/-, Army Group Insurance Rs.1,13,849/- and Army Group Disability Cover Rs.10 lakhs, Final settlement of accounts Rs.89,705/- and ex-gratia from welfare fund Rs.10,000/-. He is also entitled to an ex-gratia compensation of Rs.9 lakhs for 100% disability which will be processed separately. He has been sanctioned a pension of Rs.25,254/- per month which includes service elements and war injury elements.
His Ex Servicemen Health Scheme Card has also been dispatched to the Zila Sainik Board, Jhajjar District on 05 October 2012 for handing over to the individual.
As regards, financial donations received from various private entities, in accordance with the Service Rules, only contributions to the NSG Central Welfare Fund were accepted. For financial contributions on individual names, only amounts received for the NOK of the deceased were accepted and paid to the NOK. Other contributions were returned to the donors in accordance with rules with the proviso that the same be remitted to the NSG Central Welfare Fund. Therefore, the Cheque of Rs.7 lakh received from Mr. MS Dhoni was for the NSG Central Welfare Fund and was credited accordingly.
The Government has taken all care to pay all entitled terminal benefits due to Nk Surender Singh. In case, he still has any grievance, the Ministry of Defence is prepared to look into it.
(Release ID :89228)