English Release 24-October 2014
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM conveys greetings on United Nations Day
- PM salutes our brave ITBP personnel on the Raising Day of ITBP
- Min of Agriculture
- Kharif Rice Area Coverage
- Min of Commerce & Industry
- DIPP Constitutes IPR Think Tank to Draft National Intellectual Property Rights Policy
- Min of Defence
- Brave Heart NCC Cadets Rescue Middle Aged Woman
from River Yamuna
- Ministry of Finance
- Government approves Twenty (20) Proposals of Foreign Direct Investment amounting to Rs 988.3 Crore
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Dr Harsh Vardhan offers cooperation to Pakistan to end polio
- Min of Home Affairs
- Home Minister addresses 53rd Raising Day Function of Indo Tibetan Border Police Force
- Observance of the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas on 31st October
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Modified DBTL Scheme
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 83.61 per bbl on 23.10.2014
- Min of Road Transport & Highways
- Electronic Toll Collection System to be Inaugurated on October 31, 2014
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- India’s Performance at 2nd Asian Para Games 2014 on 22nd and 23rd October, 2014
- Min of Urban Development
- Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu adopts Hudhud cyclone ravaged village of Andhra Pradesh for rehabilitation
Prime Minister's Office23-November, 2012 22:38 IST
|PM's letter to Shri Arun Jaitley on the appointment of the CBI Director|
The Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh, has written to the Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, Shri Arun Jaitley on the appointment of the CBI director.
The text of the letter is as follows:
"I have received a letter dated 23 November, 2012 signed by Smt. Sushma Swaraj and yourself regarding the appointment of Director, CBI.
As you are aware, the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill 2011 is still awaiting passage in the Rajya Sabha. The Bill was referred to a Select Committee which has tabled its report today in the Rajya Sabha. Many changes have been suggested by the Select Committee which are required to be considered by the Government for introducing official amendments. After the Bill asamended is duly passed by the Rajya Sabha, it will be returned to the Lok Sabha for further consideration.
In the meanwhile, the tenure of the present incumbent on the post of Director, CBI is ending on 30 November, 2012, Even as we will make all possible efforts to enact the new law at the earliest, you would agree that a premier investigating agency like the CBI cannot be left without an administrative head pending the enactment. Under the circumstances the Government has, in public interest, made the appointment in accordance with the provisions of the CVC Act as presently applicable and the extant procedures, which had been set in motion much earlier.
The insinuation that the appointment was made to preempt the procedure recommended by the Select Committee is wholly unwarranted and devoid of any merit. I also refute the suggestion that the appointments to this post in the past by the UPA Government were motivated by collateral considerations.
In view of the above, the question of keeping the new appointment in abeyance does not arise."
(Release ID :89373)