English Release 19-June 2013
- Presidents Secretariat
- President of India to visit Tripura from June 20 to 21
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM announces 1000 crore rupee disaster relief for Uttarakhand
- PM congratulates President-elect Rowhani of Iran
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
Extension of time for receiving comments on draft amendments to the Interconnection Regulations applicable for Digital Addressable Cable Television Systems (DAS) and Tariff Order applicable for all addressable systems
- Min of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
National Consumer Helpline Records 12,704 Calls in may, 2013
- Min of Defence
- Armed Forces Mount Massive Relief Operations in Uttarakhand and Himachal
- Ministry of Finance
Government Approves 1 Proposal of Foreign Direct Investment Amounting to About Rs.7.00 Crore
- India and World Bank Sign Us$ 216 Million Agreement
for Kerala State Transport Project
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Smt. Santosh Chowdhary takes over as Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare
- Min of Human Resource Development
- MoS for HRD Shri Jitin Prasada visits Seoul International Book Fair (SIBF) 2013
- HRD Ministry to Strengthen Monitoring System of Mid Day Meal Scheme
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- MoPNG rebuts allegations regarding KG D-6 Field
- International crude oil price of Indian Basket declines to
103.20/US$ bbl on 18.6.2013
- Ministry of Railways
- Commodity-Wise Freight Revenue by Railways Goes up by 8.66 Per Cent During April-May 2013
- Shri Mallikarjun Kharge Takes Over as Minister of Railways
- Min of Shipping
Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust Signs Concession Agreement with M/s. Nhava Sheva (India) Gateway Terminal Pvt. Ltd
- Min of Textiles
- K S Rao Takes Charge as New Textiles Minister
- Ministry of Tourism
- Tourism Minister Announces New Campaign to Promote Himalayas
Prime Minister's Office23-November, 2012 22:38 IST
|PM's letter to Shri Arun Jaitley on the appointment of the CBI Director|
The Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh, has written to the Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, Shri Arun Jaitley on the appointment of the CBI director.
The text of the letter is as follows:
"I have received a letter dated 23 November, 2012 signed by Smt. Sushma Swaraj and yourself regarding the appointment of Director, CBI.
As you are aware, the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill 2011 is still awaiting passage in the Rajya Sabha. The Bill was referred to a Select Committee which has tabled its report today in the Rajya Sabha. Many changes have been suggested by the Select Committee which are required to be considered by the Government for introducing official amendments. After the Bill asamended is duly passed by the Rajya Sabha, it will be returned to the Lok Sabha for further consideration.
In the meanwhile, the tenure of the present incumbent on the post of Director, CBI is ending on 30 November, 2012, Even as we will make all possible efforts to enact the new law at the earliest, you would agree that a premier investigating agency like the CBI cannot be left without an administrative head pending the enactment. Under the circumstances the Government has, in public interest, made the appointment in accordance with the provisions of the CVC Act as presently applicable and the extant procedures, which had been set in motion much earlier.
The insinuation that the appointment was made to preempt the procedure recommended by the Select Committee is wholly unwarranted and devoid of any merit. I also refute the suggestion that the appointments to this post in the past by the UPA Government were motivated by collateral considerations.
In view of the above, the question of keeping the new appointment in abeyance does not arise."
(Release ID :89373)