English Release 28-July 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President congratulates medal winners in
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets Citizens On Id-Ul-Fitr
- Election Commission
- Bye-elections to the State Legislative Council of Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra by the Members of Legislative Assembly
- Min of Defence
- BEL-Bangalore Complex Certified for ISO 27001
- Min of Environment and Forests
- Advertising campaign to be launched to popularize Science Express- Biodiversity Special- Prakash Javadekar
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- “Mass awareness required on simple steps to control diarrhoea”
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket increased marginally to
US$ 106.01 per bbl on 25.07.2014
- Min of Shipping
- Kanika Sands Transshipment Zone
- Min of Women and Child Development
- The Number of Beneficiaries Covered under ICPS on the Rise
- Total of 3924 Children placed in In-Country adoption during 2013-14
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
- India wins 5 Medals on Day 4 of the Commonwealth Games 2014
Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment26-November, 2012 18:00 IST
|Eradication of Untouchability |
|Article 17 of the Constitution of India has abolished the practice of untouchability; its practice in any form is forbidden and is an offence punishable in accordance with law. An Act of Parliament, namely, the Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955, prescribes punishment for the enforcement of any disability arising from preaching and practice of untouchability. As per the data provided by the National Crime Records Bureau, Ministry of Home Affairs, during 2011, 74 cases were registered by the police under the PCR Act. |
The said Act is implemented by the concerned State Governments and Union Territory Administrations. With a view to ensure effective implementation of provisions of the Act, Central assistance is provided to States/Union Territories, which includes strengthening of the enforcement machinery, incentive for inter caste marriages and awareness generation. They are requested to implement provisions of the Act in letter and spirit.
The Central Government has been addressing the States/UTs to implement provisions of the PCR Act in letter and spirit.
A Committee under the Chairpersonship of Union Minster for Social Justice & Empowerment which was constituted in the year 2006, also inter-alia reviews implementation of the PCR Act in State/UTs. The Committee has so far held twenty meetings wherein implementation of the said Act in 24 States and 4 Union Territories has been reviewed.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri P. Balram Naik in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.
(Release ID :89464)