English Release 22-May 2013
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President’s Banquet Speech at Tashkent, Republic of Uzbekistan
- Prime Minister's Office
- Prime Minister’s speech on the occasion of the release of the ‘Report to the People'
- Election Commission
- Enviornment Ministry Celebrates International Day for Biological Diversity
- Min of Agriculture
Farmers, Farming Communities Honoured for their Contribution in Conserving Plant Genetic Resources
- Min of Corporate Affairs
- ICSI Conducts National Seminar on ‘Indian Financial Code’
- Min of Defence
- Minister of State for Defence Visits AFMS Institutions
- Foundation Stone of Indian National Defence University will be laid Tomorrow
- Ministry of Finance
- P. Chidambaram’s Speech at ICSI Seminar on Indian Financial Code
- Change in Tariff Value of Gold Notified
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Indo-China Bilateral Meet on Healthcare Sector Held
- Azad Meets Sebelius at Geneva
- Min of Mines
Health Problems of Persons in Mining Sector
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- International crude oil price of Indian Basket falls sharply
to 101.98/US$ bbl on 21.5.2013
- Min of Power
Hydro Power Generation Capacity
- Planning Commission
- Madhya Pradesh Plan for 2013-14 Finalized
Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment26-November, 2012 18:00 IST
|Eradication of Untouchability |
|Article 17 of the Constitution of India has abolished the practice of untouchability; its practice in any form is forbidden and is an offence punishable in accordance with law. An Act of Parliament, namely, the Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955, prescribes punishment for the enforcement of any disability arising from preaching and practice of untouchability. As per the data provided by the National Crime Records Bureau, Ministry of Home Affairs, during 2011, 74 cases were registered by the police under the PCR Act. |
The said Act is implemented by the concerned State Governments and Union Territory Administrations. With a view to ensure effective implementation of provisions of the Act, Central assistance is provided to States/Union Territories, which includes strengthening of the enforcement machinery, incentive for inter caste marriages and awareness generation. They are requested to implement provisions of the Act in letter and spirit.
The Central Government has been addressing the States/UTs to implement provisions of the PCR Act in letter and spirit.
A Committee under the Chairpersonship of Union Minster for Social Justice & Empowerment which was constituted in the year 2006, also inter-alia reviews implementation of the PCR Act in State/UTs. The Committee has so far held twenty meetings wherein implementation of the said Act in 24 States and 4 Union Territories has been reviewed.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri P. Balram Naik in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.
(Release ID :89464)