English Release 29-March 2015
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM's remarks in condolence book, at the funeral of the founding father of Singapore, Mr. Lee Kuan Yew
- PM meets Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore, Emeritus Senior Minister of Singapore, and President of Israel
- Remarks by Prime Minister to the Media at Singapore
- Ministry of Finance
- Government Releases About Rs. 385 Crore to Andhra Pradesh while about Rs. 150 Crore to Telangana as part of the 13th Finance Commission Recommendations
- Min of Parliamentary Affairs
- Rajya Sabha prorogued
Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution27-November, 2012 15:47 IST
|Pilot Projects for Cash Subsidy|
|The Department proposes to introduce a pilot scheme for direct transfer of food subsidy under Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS). Under the proposed scheme, foodgrains will be issued by Food Corporation of India at an appropriate cost near market price. The cash subsidy equal to the difference in the appropriate cost and the present issue price will be credited to the bank account of the beneficiary in advance to enable the beneficiary to purchase the foodgrains at this cost. The proposal does not involve dismantling the TPDS as foodgrains shall continue to be distributed to the beneficiaries under TPDS through the Fair Price Shops. |
It is proposed to undertake the pilot scheme in six UTs, namely Chandigarh, Puducherry, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Daman & Diu. The scheme is expected to check leakages/diversion of foodgrains under TPDS and test the feasibility of launch of the scheme in other States. The details of the scheme will be finalized in consultation with Union Territories, etc.
This information was given by the Minister of State (IC) for Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution Prof. K.V.Thomas in a written reply in theLok sabha today.
(Release ID :89513)