English Release 22-November 2014
- President's Secretariat
- State Civil Service Officers Undergoing the 116th Induction Training Programme At Lbsnaa Call On The President
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Emphasizes the Need for Continual Oversight to Ensure that Liberty is not Smothered in Material Prosperit
- Min of Defence
- National Cadet Corps Celebrates 66th Anniversary
- Ministry of Finance
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) Invites Comments from Public in Respect of Proposed Combination Between Holcim Limited and Lafarge S.A.
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Press Note on Ebola
- Min of Information & Broadcasting
- Team Of ‘Gour Hari Dastaan: The Freedom File’ Meets the Press at the 45TH IFFI
- Directors and Producers of Indian Panorama Opening Films in the 45th IFFI Interact with the Media
- Indian Philosophy of Mutual Respect and Love are My Source of Inspiration: Paul Cox
- ‘Salam Cinema’ Screening Opens Mohsen Makhmalbaf Retro
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Review of Modified DBTL scheme after one week of launch on 15.11.14 in 54 districts
- Min of Urban Development
- Venkaiah Naidu, Urban Development Minister, delivers Keynote Address at US – India Smart Cities Conclave
- Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu visits market, residential areas in R K Puram, New Delhi to check cleanliness
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Government to Start Jal Gram Scheme in Every District Says Uma Bharti
- Our District-Our Water Programme to be Launched to take the Message of Water Conservation to Every Village of the Country-Uma Bharti
Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports29-November, 2012 15:47 IST
|Promotion of sports among disabled persons|
|The Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Youth Affairs & Sports Shri Jitendra Singh has said that the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports is implementing the following Schemes which promote sports among persons with disabilities: |
(i) Scheme of Assistance to National Sports Federations (NSFs)
(ii) Scheme of Pension to Meritorious sportspersons
(iii) Scheme of Special Awards to medal winners in international sports events
(iv) Recognition by way of conferment of Arjuna Awards
(v) Scheme of Sports & Games for Persons with Disabilities.
In a written reply in the Rajya Sabha today Shri Jitendra Singh said, under the Scheme of Assistance to NSFs, financial assistance is also provided to the NSFs which are dealing with disabled sportspersons, viz. Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) for physically disabled, Special Olympics Bharat (SOB) for intellectually challenged and the All India Sports Council for Deaf (AISCD) towards conduct of National Championships and International Tournaments in India, participation in International tournaments abroad, organizing coaching camps, procuring sports equipments, engagement of foreign coaches and disbursement of salaries of the paid Joint/Assistant Secretaries engaged by NSFs.
He said, under the Scheme of Pension to Meritorious Sportspersons, launched in the year 1994, those sportspersons who are Indian citizens and have won gold, silver and bronze medals in Olympic Games, World Cup/World Championships, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games and Paralympic Games and have attained the age of 30 years and have retired from active sports career are eligible for life pension.
Under the Scheme of Special Awards, winners of medals in international sports events and their coaches are given cash awards. Winners of medals in Paralympic Games and Para-Asian Games are eligible for Special Awards.
Arjuna Awards Scheme provides that at least one award is given exclusively for sports for physically challenged.
With the objective of broad-basing participative sports among persons with disabilities, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports introduced the Scheme of Sports and Games for Persons with disabilities. The Scheme of Sports & Games for the Disabled has the following components:-
(i) Grant for sports coaching and purchase of consumables and non-consumable sports equipments for Schools;
(ii) Grant for Training of Coaches;
(iii) Grant for holding District, State & National level competitions for the Disabled
While organizing national coaching camps for para-athletes prior to participation in international tournaments, sports facilities including sports equipments are provided by Sports Authority of India as per the requirements of the para-athletes. Adequate arrangements with regard to sports infrastructure being disabled-friendly are also made at the competition and training venues by Sports Authority of India at its centres, Shri Jitendra Singh added.
(Release ID :89611)