English Release 29-July 2014
- President's Secretariat
- PRESIDENT CONGRATULATES MEDAL WINNERS IN
- President of India’s greetings on Idu’l Fitr
- Prime Minister's Office
- CEO, Mitsubishi Corporation, calls on PM
- PM addresses scientists at 86th ICAR Foundation Day
- PM greets Vice President on Eid-ul-Fitr
- PM greets people on Eid-ul-Fitr
- Min of Agriculture
- Prime Minister give Mantras of "Kam Zameen, Kam Samay, Zyaada Upaj","Per Drop, more Crop", and "Lab to Land"
- Min of Urban Development
- New urban development initiatives to address shortcomings of JNNURM
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
- Minister of Youth Affairs & Sports, Sarbananda Sonowal congratulates Indian medal winners on the 5th day in commonwealth Games 2014
Ministry of Finance29-November, 2012 17:44 IST
|Rules on Loan Recasts |
After the Second Quarter Review of Monetary Policy 2011-12 by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), a Working Group (WG) was constituted under the Chairmanship of Shri B. Mahapatra, Executive Director, RBI to review the existing prudential guidelines on restructuring of advances by banks/financial institutions and suggest revisions taking into account the best international practices and accounting standards. |
The Working Group had representation from a few select banks. Further, the report of the Working Group was placed on the website of the Reserve Bank for comments of all stakeholders including banks.
Given the larger objectives of financial stability and keeping in view international best practices to ensure that banks have sufficient provisioning buffer, RBI has announced, in its second review of Monetary Policy, to raise the provision for restructured standard accounts from the existing 2 percent to 2.75 per cent.
To address the issue of rise in NPAs and restructured advances of banks and with a view to improving effective information sharing among banks on credit, derivatives and unhedged foreign currency exposures, banks are advised to put in place, by end-December 2012, an effective mechanism for information sharing. Any sanction of fresh loans/ad-hoc loans/renewal of loans to new or existing borrowers with effect from January 1, 2013 should be made only after obtaining/sharing necessary information. Banks have been advised that non adherence to these instructions would be viewed seriously by RBI and banks would be liable to action including imposition of penalty wherever considered appropriate.
The compliance to the above regulatory and supervisory measures are aimed at reducing growth in NPAs and restructured advances by banks are being closely monitored by the RBI on an ongoing basis.
This was stated by the Minister of State for Finance, Shri Namo Narain Meena in written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha today.
* * *
(Release ID :89658)