English Release 30-January 2015
- President's Secretariat
- President of India meets personnel of the tri service band contingents and provost outriders of the three services
- Vice President's Secretariat
- NSS CONTINGENT VOLUNTEERS CALL ON VICE PRESIDENT
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM interacts with differently-abled children at Gandhi Smriti
- PM's Twitter Address to the 18th National Conference on e-Governance
- PM pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi and all the Martyrs who laid their lives for the Nation, On Martyrs' Day
- Min of Agriculture
- Area Coverage under Rabi Crops
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
Commemorative Postage Stamp on Swachh Bharat
- NIA Amendment on Spectrum Auction
- Min of Defence
- More Autonomy to be Given in Decision Making to DPSUs and OFBs for Better Performance: Parrikar
- Ministry of Finance
- Disinvestment of Coal India Ltd (CIL) Through OFS Successfully Completed; Rs 22557.63 Crore Accrued to the Government from this Disinvestment Process; This is the Largest Ever Disinvestment Among Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSES)
- Change in Tariff Value of Crude Palm Oil, RBD Palm Oil, Others – Palm Oil, Crude Palmolein, RBD Palmolein, Others – Palmolein, Crude Soyabean Oil, Brass Scrap (All Grades), Poppy Seeds, Areca Nuts, Gold And Silver Notified
- Gold award for the Income Tax Department under National Award on E-Governance 2014-15
- Amended Exchange Rates of Foreign Currency Notified
- Min of Home Affairs
- Rajnath Singh approves rehabilitation of flood victims and the restoration of public infrastructure in Jammu & Kashmir
- Union Home Minister chairs High Level Committee meeting for Central assistance to states affected by natural disasters
- Min of Micro,Small & Medium Enterprises
- Review Meeting of Pmegp for North Eastern States Held Under The Charimanship of Shri Kalraj Mishra
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- ACC Appointment
- Chief Minister of Gujarat inaugurates 18th National Conference on e-Governance
- ACC Appointments
- Central Armed Police Forces
(Assistant Commandants) Exam, 2014
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 46.28 per bbl on 29.01.2015
- Ministry of Railways
- Two Day National Technical Seminar on Railway Track Issues Concludes
Need to Benchmark the Best Engineering Pracatices of India and Abroad: Suresh Prabhu
- Suresh Prabhu Flags off Trains Remotely Through Telepresence Service of Railtel, A Railway’s PSU
- Min of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
- Strategic partnerships is a big step to scale skilling initiatives in India: Shri Rajiv Pratap Rudy
- Min of Statistics & Programme Implementation
- New Series Estimates of National Income,
Consumption Expenditure, Saving and Capital Formation
(Base Year 2011-12)
- Min of Urban Development
- Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu plainly asks states ‘are you ready for smart cities?’
Says it is a daunting a task but doable; seeks to motivate states
- NITI Aayog
- Dr VK Saraswat Assumes Charge as Member of NITI Aayog
Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment05-December, 2012 16:34 IST
|Measures Taken for Care of Senior Citizens |
|The Central Government has enacted the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 in December, 2007 which, inter-alia, makes maintenance of parents/ senior citizens by children/ relatives obligatory and justiciable through Tribunals; provides for revocation of transfer of property by senior citizens in case of negligence by children/ relatives; penal provisions for abandonment of senior citizens; medical facilities for senior citizens; and protection of life and property of senior citizens. The Act is required to be brought into force by individual State Governments. The Government of NCT of Delhi has already brought the Act into force and taken all necessary measures for its effective implementation. |
The Government of India has also announced the National Policy on Older Persons (NPOP) in January 1999 which envisages State's support to ensure financial and food security, healthcare, shelter and other needs of older persons to improve the quality of their lives. In congruence with the NPOP, 1999, the Government of NCT of Delhi has also formulated its own Policy for Senior Citizens to address the concerns of senior citizens.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is implementing a Central Sector Scheme of Integrated Programme for Older Persons (IPOP) under which financial assistance is provided to State Governments, Panchayati Raj Institutions/ Urban Local Bodies and Non-Government Organisations, etc. for running and maintaining of old age homes, day care centres, mobile medicare units, etc.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is implementing a Centrally Sponsored Scheme namely, “National Programme for Health Care of Elderly (NPHCE)” to improve health services for the elderly. The programme has been taken up in 100 selected districts of 21 States and 8 Regional Geriatric Institutes across the country on cost sharing basis with the participating States at the ratio of 80:20 (excluding the expenditure on 8 regional Medical Institutes).
The Ministry of Rural Development is administering the Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS) under which Central assistance is given towards pension @ Rs.200/ per month to persons above 60 years and @ Rs.500/- per month to persons above 80 years belonging to a household below poverty line, which is expected to be supplemented by at least an equal contribution by the States. The amount of pension including Central assistance and Government of NCT of Delhi contribution under the Scheme is Rs.1000/- per month to beneficiaries between 60-69 years of age and @ Rs.1500/- per month to beneficiaries aged 70 years and above. The Government of NCT of Delhi also provides additional assistance of Rs.500/- per month to senior citizens belonging to SC/ST/Minority communities. The assistance is remitted quarterly to their bank account through ECS.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has issued an advisory to State Governments in March 2008 to ensure that life and property of senior citizens is fully protected.
Besides, various facilities and benefits such as income tax concession, air and rail fare concession, etc. are also provided to senior citizens by the Central Government.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has informed that a proposal in this regard has been received and accordingly, the Government of NCT of Delhi has been requested to examine the proposal for issue of necessary instructions to the concerned Departments of NCT of Delhi.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri P. Balram Naik in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :89975)