English Release 31-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Education will be the single biggest transformative factor in catapulting India into the league of developed nations, says President
- President of India congratulates Pankaj Advani on achieving 12th world title in Leeds
- President pays floral tributes to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of PM’s address at 'Run For Unity' at Rajpath on the occasion of Rashtriya Ekta Diwas
- PM receives personal belongings of Sardar Patel, on his 139th birth anniversary
- Sidelights – Run For Unity Event at Rajpath, New Delhi
- PM flags off, joins Run For Unity on Sardar Patel Jayanti
- PM remembers Smt. Indira Gandhi on her Punya Tithi
- PM pays tributes to Sardar Patel on his birth anniversary
- Election Commission
- General Election to Legislative Assemblies of Jharkhand and Jammu & Kashmir 2014 - Allotment of Broadcast/Telecast time to Political Parties – regarding
- Min of Agriculture
- Kharif Rice Area Coverage
- Min of Commerce & Industry
- Index of Eight Core Industries (Base: 2004-05=100), September, 2014
- Department of Commerce calls for creative participation for India’s participation at Hannover Messe
- Min of Defence
- Minor Incident Involving Naval Ship
- Indian Warships Visit to Port Louis
- Ministry of Finance
- Auction for Sale (Re-Issue) of Government Stocks
Major Focus of the Government is to Bring Back the Growth Momentum: Finance Minister
- Auction for Sale (Re-Issue ) of ‘8.30 per cent Government Stock, 2040’
Auction for Sale of a new Government Stock of 19 Years
Auction for Sale (Re-Issue ) of ‘8.60 per cent Government Stock, 2028’
- Auction for Sale (Re-Issue) of ‘8.27 per cent Government Stock, 2020’
- Subash Chandra Garg Relieved to take up His New Assignment As Executive Director, World Bank, Washington D.C.
- Rajiv Mehrishi takes over as Secretry, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- MoU with Spain on organ transplantation soon
- Min of Home Affairs
- MoS Home Kiren Rijiju participates in ‘Run for Unity’
- Text of Home Minister's speech at NPA, Hyderabad
- Cyber Crime Prevention Strategy will be Strengthened: Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh
- Home Secretary Administers Rashtriya Ekta Diwas Pledge
- “Police Stations should become Temples of Justice,” says Rajnath Singh
- Min of Human Resource Development
- 2nd Meeting of SAARC Education Ministers Held
- Min of Parliamentary Affairs
- Standing Committee on Railways invites suggestions on Railways(Amendment) Bill, 2014
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants) Examination, 2014 Declaration of Result of Written Part
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Constitution of Steering Committee for successful implementation of “Make in India” campaign in the Oil and Gas Industry.
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 84.77 per bbl on 30.10.2014
- Ministry of Railways
- Railway Protection Force hosting 15th All Indian Police Band Competition
- Min of Road Transport & Highways
- Institute of Driving Training & Research to be inaugurated tomorrow at Pune
- Electronic Toll Collection System makes Delhi-Mumbai Drive Faster and Cheaper
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Storage Status of 85 Important Reservoirs of the Country as on October 30, 2014
- Min of Women and Child Development
- SRB to be raised by 10 basis points every year
Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment05-December, 2012 16:34 IST
|Measures Taken for Care of Senior Citizens |
|The Central Government has enacted the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 in December, 2007 which, inter-alia, makes maintenance of parents/ senior citizens by children/ relatives obligatory and justiciable through Tribunals; provides for revocation of transfer of property by senior citizens in case of negligence by children/ relatives; penal provisions for abandonment of senior citizens; medical facilities for senior citizens; and protection of life and property of senior citizens. The Act is required to be brought into force by individual State Governments. The Government of NCT of Delhi has already brought the Act into force and taken all necessary measures for its effective implementation. |
The Government of India has also announced the National Policy on Older Persons (NPOP) in January 1999 which envisages State's support to ensure financial and food security, healthcare, shelter and other needs of older persons to improve the quality of their lives. In congruence with the NPOP, 1999, the Government of NCT of Delhi has also formulated its own Policy for Senior Citizens to address the concerns of senior citizens.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is implementing a Central Sector Scheme of Integrated Programme for Older Persons (IPOP) under which financial assistance is provided to State Governments, Panchayati Raj Institutions/ Urban Local Bodies and Non-Government Organisations, etc. for running and maintaining of old age homes, day care centres, mobile medicare units, etc.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is implementing a Centrally Sponsored Scheme namely, “National Programme for Health Care of Elderly (NPHCE)” to improve health services for the elderly. The programme has been taken up in 100 selected districts of 21 States and 8 Regional Geriatric Institutes across the country on cost sharing basis with the participating States at the ratio of 80:20 (excluding the expenditure on 8 regional Medical Institutes).
The Ministry of Rural Development is administering the Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS) under which Central assistance is given towards pension @ Rs.200/ per month to persons above 60 years and @ Rs.500/- per month to persons above 80 years belonging to a household below poverty line, which is expected to be supplemented by at least an equal contribution by the States. The amount of pension including Central assistance and Government of NCT of Delhi contribution under the Scheme is Rs.1000/- per month to beneficiaries between 60-69 years of age and @ Rs.1500/- per month to beneficiaries aged 70 years and above. The Government of NCT of Delhi also provides additional assistance of Rs.500/- per month to senior citizens belonging to SC/ST/Minority communities. The assistance is remitted quarterly to their bank account through ECS.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has issued an advisory to State Governments in March 2008 to ensure that life and property of senior citizens is fully protected.
Besides, various facilities and benefits such as income tax concession, air and rail fare concession, etc. are also provided to senior citizens by the Central Government.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has informed that a proposal in this regard has been received and accordingly, the Government of NCT of Delhi has been requested to examine the proposal for issue of necessary instructions to the concerned Departments of NCT of Delhi.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri P. Balram Naik in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :89975)