English Release 21-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Envoys of five nations present credentials to President of India
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets People on Deepawali
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM expresses joy on India being re-elected to UNHRC
- PM chairs meeting on urban development issues
- PM’s Telephone Conversation with Prime Minister of Malaysia
- PM to be in Srinagar on Diwali, 23rd October; will spend the day with flood-affected people
- PM salutes the bravery of our policemen on Police Commemoration Day
- PM greets the nation on Dhanteras
- Election Commission
- South Asian Election Commissioners Impressed by Counting Technology and Prompt Results Sharing of Experiences at South Asian Workshop
- Min of Agriculture
- National Seeds Corporation Hands Over Dividend Cheque to Union Agriculture Minister
- Radha Mohan Singh emphasizes the need to increase Productivity of Milch Cattle
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- Indian Deegation to the ITU Conference Lead by Communications and Information Technology Minister Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad called for Democratisation of Global Affairs of Telecommunications and Internet Governance
- Min of Corporate Affairs
- Merger of National Spot Exchange Limited
- Google Case
- Min of Culture
- Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism, Shri Shripad Naik launches the National Portal for Museums
- Min of Defence
- Navy Helicopter Airlifts Spares for 132 kv Transmission
Tower on Simhachalam Hill – Visakhapatnam
- Ministry of Finance
- Project Report on “DRISHTI” Submitted to Finance Minister
- Min of Food Processing Industries
- Minister of Food Processing Industries Reiterates the Need to Strengthen further Indo-French Cooperation in Agro-processing Sector.
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Dr Harsh Vardhan spells out Ebola action plan
- Min of Mines
- Mineral Production During August 2014
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- ACC Appointments
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Production Performance of Oil & Natural Gas Sector for the month of September, 2014
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 84.12 per bbl on 20.10.2014
- Min of Road Transport & Highways
- Electronic Toll Collection: A Uniform Standard of Service to Commuters
- Min of Science & Technology
- Dr. Jitendra Singh announces hike in fellowship amount to Research Scientists
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- India Won 2 Gold, 1silver & 3 Bronze at 2nd Asian Para Games 2014 on 20th October, 2014
- Min of Steel
- Ministry of Steel to set up “Steel Research & Technology Mission of India”
Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment05-December, 2012 16:34 IST
|Measures Taken for Care of Senior Citizens |
|The Central Government has enacted the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 in December, 2007 which, inter-alia, makes maintenance of parents/ senior citizens by children/ relatives obligatory and justiciable through Tribunals; provides for revocation of transfer of property by senior citizens in case of negligence by children/ relatives; penal provisions for abandonment of senior citizens; medical facilities for senior citizens; and protection of life and property of senior citizens. The Act is required to be brought into force by individual State Governments. The Government of NCT of Delhi has already brought the Act into force and taken all necessary measures for its effective implementation. |
The Government of India has also announced the National Policy on Older Persons (NPOP) in January 1999 which envisages State's support to ensure financial and food security, healthcare, shelter and other needs of older persons to improve the quality of their lives. In congruence with the NPOP, 1999, the Government of NCT of Delhi has also formulated its own Policy for Senior Citizens to address the concerns of senior citizens.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is implementing a Central Sector Scheme of Integrated Programme for Older Persons (IPOP) under which financial assistance is provided to State Governments, Panchayati Raj Institutions/ Urban Local Bodies and Non-Government Organisations, etc. for running and maintaining of old age homes, day care centres, mobile medicare units, etc.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is implementing a Centrally Sponsored Scheme namely, “National Programme for Health Care of Elderly (NPHCE)” to improve health services for the elderly. The programme has been taken up in 100 selected districts of 21 States and 8 Regional Geriatric Institutes across the country on cost sharing basis with the participating States at the ratio of 80:20 (excluding the expenditure on 8 regional Medical Institutes).
The Ministry of Rural Development is administering the Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS) under which Central assistance is given towards pension @ Rs.200/ per month to persons above 60 years and @ Rs.500/- per month to persons above 80 years belonging to a household below poverty line, which is expected to be supplemented by at least an equal contribution by the States. The amount of pension including Central assistance and Government of NCT of Delhi contribution under the Scheme is Rs.1000/- per month to beneficiaries between 60-69 years of age and @ Rs.1500/- per month to beneficiaries aged 70 years and above. The Government of NCT of Delhi also provides additional assistance of Rs.500/- per month to senior citizens belonging to SC/ST/Minority communities. The assistance is remitted quarterly to their bank account through ECS.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has issued an advisory to State Governments in March 2008 to ensure that life and property of senior citizens is fully protected.
Besides, various facilities and benefits such as income tax concession, air and rail fare concession, etc. are also provided to senior citizens by the Central Government.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has informed that a proposal in this regard has been received and accordingly, the Government of NCT of Delhi has been requested to examine the proposal for issue of necessary instructions to the concerned Departments of NCT of Delhi.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri P. Balram Naik in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :89975)