English Release 5-March 2015
- President's Secretariat
- Writers/Artists in Residence Programme 2015 to be held in Rashtrapati Bhavan from MARCH 7 – 21, 2015
- Closure of Mughal Gardens on account of Holi
- President’s Holi greetings
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President greets citizens on Holi
- Prime Minister's Office
- Leander Paes and Martina Hingis call on PM
- PM's remarks on the occasion of dedication to the nation of Stage 1 of Shree Singaji Thermal Power Plant at Khandwa
- PM greets the people on the festival of Holi
- Department of Space
- Launch of PSLV-C27 with IRNSS-1D postponed
- Election Commission
- Biennial Election to Elect 5 Members to the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council by the Members of the Legislative Assembly
- Min of Agriculture
- Sowing Area Under Rabi Rice and Summer Pulses And Oilseeds
- Min of Chemicals and Fertilizers
- Sh. Hansraj Gangaram Ahir, Union Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers meets Sh. Radha Mohan Singh, Union Minister for Agriculture to discuss
imbalanced use of Urea by Fertilizers
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- The Auction of Spectrum in 2015
in 2100 MHz, 1800 MHz, 900 MHz And 800 MHz Bands Continue
- The Auction of Spectrum in 2015
in 2100 MHz, 1800 MHz, 900 MHz and 800 MHz Bands Continues
- Min of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
- There will be no cut in the coverage of National Food Security Act –Shri Ram Vilas Paswan
- Min of Defence
- India Reaches out to Nepal to Help Clear Blocked Runway
- Ministry of Finance
- Gross Direct Tax Collection during April-February of the Financial Year 2014-15 is up by 10.67 Percent
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Health Secretary launches Public Service Advertisement and Poster on Tobacco Control featuring Shri Rahul Dravid
- Health Ministry to celebrate International Women’s Day as ‘Safe Motherhood Day’: Shri J P Nadda
- Min of Home Affairs
- Shri Amarnathji Yatra from 2nd July to 29th August, 2015
- Min of Human Resource Development
- Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan
- History of North East in NCERT Curriculum
- Education to Minorities
- Min of Law & Justice
- Press Communique on Appointment of a Judge of the J&K High Court
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 58.51 per bbl on 04.03.2015
- Min of Science & Technology
- Signing of MOA Between NRDC and CCRAS
- Min of Women and Child Development
- Railways to implement SOPs for restoration/rehabilitation of helpless children in contact with Railways
Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment05-December, 2012 16:34 IST
|Measures Taken for Care of Senior Citizens |
|The Central Government has enacted the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 in December, 2007 which, inter-alia, makes maintenance of parents/ senior citizens by children/ relatives obligatory and justiciable through Tribunals; provides for revocation of transfer of property by senior citizens in case of negligence by children/ relatives; penal provisions for abandonment of senior citizens; medical facilities for senior citizens; and protection of life and property of senior citizens. The Act is required to be brought into force by individual State Governments. The Government of NCT of Delhi has already brought the Act into force and taken all necessary measures for its effective implementation. |
The Government of India has also announced the National Policy on Older Persons (NPOP) in January 1999 which envisages State's support to ensure financial and food security, healthcare, shelter and other needs of older persons to improve the quality of their lives. In congruence with the NPOP, 1999, the Government of NCT of Delhi has also formulated its own Policy for Senior Citizens to address the concerns of senior citizens.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is implementing a Central Sector Scheme of Integrated Programme for Older Persons (IPOP) under which financial assistance is provided to State Governments, Panchayati Raj Institutions/ Urban Local Bodies and Non-Government Organisations, etc. for running and maintaining of old age homes, day care centres, mobile medicare units, etc.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is implementing a Centrally Sponsored Scheme namely, “National Programme for Health Care of Elderly (NPHCE)” to improve health services for the elderly. The programme has been taken up in 100 selected districts of 21 States and 8 Regional Geriatric Institutes across the country on cost sharing basis with the participating States at the ratio of 80:20 (excluding the expenditure on 8 regional Medical Institutes).
The Ministry of Rural Development is administering the Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS) under which Central assistance is given towards pension @ Rs.200/ per month to persons above 60 years and @ Rs.500/- per month to persons above 80 years belonging to a household below poverty line, which is expected to be supplemented by at least an equal contribution by the States. The amount of pension including Central assistance and Government of NCT of Delhi contribution under the Scheme is Rs.1000/- per month to beneficiaries between 60-69 years of age and @ Rs.1500/- per month to beneficiaries aged 70 years and above. The Government of NCT of Delhi also provides additional assistance of Rs.500/- per month to senior citizens belonging to SC/ST/Minority communities. The assistance is remitted quarterly to their bank account through ECS.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has issued an advisory to State Governments in March 2008 to ensure that life and property of senior citizens is fully protected.
Besides, various facilities and benefits such as income tax concession, air and rail fare concession, etc. are also provided to senior citizens by the Central Government.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has informed that a proposal in this regard has been received and accordingly, the Government of NCT of Delhi has been requested to examine the proposal for issue of necessary instructions to the concerned Departments of NCT of Delhi.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri P. Balram Naik in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :89975)