English Release 28-July 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President congratulates medal winners in
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets Citizens On Id-Ul-Fitr
- Prime Minister's Office
- Foreign Minister of Uganda calls on PM
- Election Commission
- Bye-elections to the State Legislative Council of Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra by the Members of Legislative Assembly
- Min of Agriculture
Rashtriya Gokul Mission Aims to Conserve and Develop Indigenous Breeds
- Min of Defence
- IAF Receives the 6th C-17 Globemaster III in the Presence of Hon’ble Defence Minister Shri Arun Jaitley
- BEL-Bangalore Complex Certified for ISO 27001
- Min of Environment and Forests
- Advertising campaign to be launched to popularize Science Express- Biodiversity Special- Prakash Javadekar
- Ministry of Finance
- Auction for sale (Re-Issue) of Government Stock
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- “Mass awareness required on simple steps to control diarrhoea”
- Min of Home Affairs
- Union Home Minister reviews Disaster Management and Border Management Divisions
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Special Class Railway Apprentices’ Examination, 2014
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket increased marginally to
US$ 106.01 per bbl on 25.07.2014
- Min of Shipping
- Kanika Sands Transshipment Zone
- Min of Textiles
Textiles Vision Document Projects Textiles Export to Touch US $ 300 Billion by the Year 2024-25
- Min of Urban Development
- Bio-metric attendance system soon for employees of urban ministries
- Min of Women and Child Development
- The Number of Beneficiaries Covered under ICPS on the Rise
- Total of 3924 Children placed in In-Country adoption during 2013-14
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
- India wins 5 Medals on Day 4 of the Commonwealth Games 2014
Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment05-December, 2012 16:34 IST
|Measures Taken for Care of Senior Citizens |
|The Central Government has enacted the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 in December, 2007 which, inter-alia, makes maintenance of parents/ senior citizens by children/ relatives obligatory and justiciable through Tribunals; provides for revocation of transfer of property by senior citizens in case of negligence by children/ relatives; penal provisions for abandonment of senior citizens; medical facilities for senior citizens; and protection of life and property of senior citizens. The Act is required to be brought into force by individual State Governments. The Government of NCT of Delhi has already brought the Act into force and taken all necessary measures for its effective implementation. |
The Government of India has also announced the National Policy on Older Persons (NPOP) in January 1999 which envisages State's support to ensure financial and food security, healthcare, shelter and other needs of older persons to improve the quality of their lives. In congruence with the NPOP, 1999, the Government of NCT of Delhi has also formulated its own Policy for Senior Citizens to address the concerns of senior citizens.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is implementing a Central Sector Scheme of Integrated Programme for Older Persons (IPOP) under which financial assistance is provided to State Governments, Panchayati Raj Institutions/ Urban Local Bodies and Non-Government Organisations, etc. for running and maintaining of old age homes, day care centres, mobile medicare units, etc.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is implementing a Centrally Sponsored Scheme namely, “National Programme for Health Care of Elderly (NPHCE)” to improve health services for the elderly. The programme has been taken up in 100 selected districts of 21 States and 8 Regional Geriatric Institutes across the country on cost sharing basis with the participating States at the ratio of 80:20 (excluding the expenditure on 8 regional Medical Institutes).
The Ministry of Rural Development is administering the Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS) under which Central assistance is given towards pension @ Rs.200/ per month to persons above 60 years and @ Rs.500/- per month to persons above 80 years belonging to a household below poverty line, which is expected to be supplemented by at least an equal contribution by the States. The amount of pension including Central assistance and Government of NCT of Delhi contribution under the Scheme is Rs.1000/- per month to beneficiaries between 60-69 years of age and @ Rs.1500/- per month to beneficiaries aged 70 years and above. The Government of NCT of Delhi also provides additional assistance of Rs.500/- per month to senior citizens belonging to SC/ST/Minority communities. The assistance is remitted quarterly to their bank account through ECS.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has issued an advisory to State Governments in March 2008 to ensure that life and property of senior citizens is fully protected.
Besides, various facilities and benefits such as income tax concession, air and rail fare concession, etc. are also provided to senior citizens by the Central Government.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has informed that a proposal in this regard has been received and accordingly, the Government of NCT of Delhi has been requested to examine the proposal for issue of necessary instructions to the concerned Departments of NCT of Delhi.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri P. Balram Naik in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :89975)