English Release 29-August 2014
- President's Secretariat
President presents Sports and Adventure Awards
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM greets people on the occasion of Samvatsari
- PM's Departure Statement ahead of his visit to Japan
- PM pays tribute to legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand; congratulates award-winning sportspersons
- PM greets people on Ganesh Chaturthi
- Min of Agriculture
- Kharif Sowing Crosses 966 Lakh Hectare Mark
- Min of Civil Aviation
- Air India Day Felicitates its Employees
- Ministry of Finance
- Finance Ministry: Performance of the Economy in the First Quarter of the Financial Year 2014-15 ss Broadly on Expected Lines
1,84,68,000 Accounts Opened in more than 70000 Camps Under Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana ; Banks to hold such Camps on Weekly Basis, from 8 am to 8 pm on all saturdays to Achieve the Target of Covering Unbanked Households well in Time
- India Signs Loan Agreements with World Bank for
IDA Assistance of US $ 107 Million for Second Mizoram State Roads Project
- Change in Tariff Value of Crude Palm Oil, RBD Palm Oil, Others – Palm Oil, Crude Palmolein, RBD Palmolein, Others – Palmolein, Crude Soyabean Oil, Brass Scrap (All Grades), Poppy Seeds, Areca Nuts, Gold and Silver Notified
- India’s External Debt: A Status Report 2013-14 Released; India’s External Debt Stock Stood at US$ 440.6 Billion at end-March 2014, Increasing by US$ 31.2 Billion (7.6 per cent) Over the Level at end-March 2013
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- 887 passengers being tracked for Ebola Virus Disease
Integrated trauma support service on anvil
- Exclusivity of Central Government Health Scheme to be phased out
- Min of Home Affairs
- India-Israel Bilateral Cooperation
- Shri O.P. Singh assigned additional charge of DG, NDRF
- National Seminar on Promoting Peace and Harmony
- New Interlocutor for Naga Peace Talks
- Min of Labour & Employment
- National Consultative Workshop on “Industry-Career Centre –ITI Collaboration” organized
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Dr. Jitendra Singh Felicitates UPSC recommended IAS Candidates
- ACC Appointments
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 101.07 per bbl on 28.08.2014
- Min of Shipping
- Delegation of Powers to States for Registration, Survey and Certification of Fishing Vessels
- Min of Statistics & Programme Implementation
- Estimates of Gross Domestic Product for the First Quarter (April-June) of 2014-15
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Storage Status of 85 Important Reservoirs of the Country as on August 28, 2014
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
- President Confers National Sports Awards – 2014
- Full Text of the Speech of Sarbananda Sonowal at a Function to Celebrate the National Sports Day
- Text of Speech of Sarbananda Sonowal at the National Consultation Workshop on ‘Industry- Career Centre- ITI Collaboration’
Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment05-December, 2012 16:34 IST
|Measures Taken for Care of Senior Citizens |
|The Central Government has enacted the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 in December, 2007 which, inter-alia, makes maintenance of parents/ senior citizens by children/ relatives obligatory and justiciable through Tribunals; provides for revocation of transfer of property by senior citizens in case of negligence by children/ relatives; penal provisions for abandonment of senior citizens; medical facilities for senior citizens; and protection of life and property of senior citizens. The Act is required to be brought into force by individual State Governments. The Government of NCT of Delhi has already brought the Act into force and taken all necessary measures for its effective implementation. |
The Government of India has also announced the National Policy on Older Persons (NPOP) in January 1999 which envisages State's support to ensure financial and food security, healthcare, shelter and other needs of older persons to improve the quality of their lives. In congruence with the NPOP, 1999, the Government of NCT of Delhi has also formulated its own Policy for Senior Citizens to address the concerns of senior citizens.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is implementing a Central Sector Scheme of Integrated Programme for Older Persons (IPOP) under which financial assistance is provided to State Governments, Panchayati Raj Institutions/ Urban Local Bodies and Non-Government Organisations, etc. for running and maintaining of old age homes, day care centres, mobile medicare units, etc.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is implementing a Centrally Sponsored Scheme namely, “National Programme for Health Care of Elderly (NPHCE)” to improve health services for the elderly. The programme has been taken up in 100 selected districts of 21 States and 8 Regional Geriatric Institutes across the country on cost sharing basis with the participating States at the ratio of 80:20 (excluding the expenditure on 8 regional Medical Institutes).
The Ministry of Rural Development is administering the Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS) under which Central assistance is given towards pension @ Rs.200/ per month to persons above 60 years and @ Rs.500/- per month to persons above 80 years belonging to a household below poverty line, which is expected to be supplemented by at least an equal contribution by the States. The amount of pension including Central assistance and Government of NCT of Delhi contribution under the Scheme is Rs.1000/- per month to beneficiaries between 60-69 years of age and @ Rs.1500/- per month to beneficiaries aged 70 years and above. The Government of NCT of Delhi also provides additional assistance of Rs.500/- per month to senior citizens belonging to SC/ST/Minority communities. The assistance is remitted quarterly to their bank account through ECS.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has issued an advisory to State Governments in March 2008 to ensure that life and property of senior citizens is fully protected.
Besides, various facilities and benefits such as income tax concession, air and rail fare concession, etc. are also provided to senior citizens by the Central Government.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has informed that a proposal in this regard has been received and accordingly, the Government of NCT of Delhi has been requested to examine the proposal for issue of necessary instructions to the concerned Departments of NCT of Delhi.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Shri P. Balram Naik in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :89975)