English Release 31-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Education will be the single biggest transformative factor in catapulting India into the league of developed nations, says President
- President of India congratulates Pankaj Advani on achieving 12th world title in Leeds
- President pays floral tributes to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of PM’s address at 'Run For Unity' at Rajpath on the occasion of Rashtriya Ekta Diwas
- PM receives personal belongings of Sardar Patel, on his 139th birth anniversary
- Sidelights – Run For Unity Event at Rajpath, New Delhi
- PM flags off, joins Run For Unity on Sardar Patel Jayanti
- PM remembers Smt. Indira Gandhi on her Punya Tithi
- PM pays tributes to Sardar Patel on his birth anniversary
- Min of Agriculture
- Kharif Rice Area Coverage
- Min of Commerce & Industry
- Index of Eight Core Industries (Base: 2004-05=100), September, 2014
- Department of Commerce calls for creative participation for India’s participation at Hannover Messe
- Min of Defence
- Indian Warships Visit to Port Louis
- Ministry of Finance
- Rajiv Mehrishi takes over as Secretry, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance
- Min of Home Affairs
- Text of Home Minister's speech at NPA, Hyderabad
- Cyber Crime Prevention Strategy will be Strengthened: Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh
- Home Secretary Administers Rashtriya Ekta Diwas Pledge
- “Police Stations should become Temples of Justice,” says Rajnath Singh
- Min of Parliamentary Affairs
- Standing Committee on Railways invites suggestions on Railways(Amendment) Bill, 2014
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants) Examination, 2014 Declaration of Result of Written Part
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Constitution of Steering Committee for successful implementation of “Make in India” campaign in the Oil and Gas Industry.
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 84.77 per bbl on 30.10.2014
- Min of Road Transport & Highways
- Institute of Driving Training & Research to be inaugurated tomorrow at Pune
- Electronic Toll Collection System makes Delhi-Mumbai Drive Faster and Cheaper
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Storage Status of 85 Important Reservoirs of the Country as on October 30, 2014
- Min of Women and Child Development
- SRB to be raised by 10 basis points every year
Ministry of Environment and Forests06-December, 2012 16:31 IST
|International Treaty Obligations on Dismantling of Toxic Ships |
|The Government has taken a number of steps to ensure environmental protection due to any damage caused by ship breaking in the country, which include: |
Ship recycling activity in India is regulated as per the directions of Supreme Court given in Writ Petition (Civil) No.657 of 1995. Verification of hazardous materials/wastes on board the ship, by way of inspection of ship, is done at anchoring stage by State Maritime Board, State Pollution Control Board and the Customs Department. Petroleum and Explosive Safety Organisation (PESO) for petroleum tankers/chemicals tankers and Atomic Energy Regulatory Board for war ships, atomic nuclear powered vessels, naval vessels, etc., grant necessary permissions after inspection at anchorage.
The State Maritime Boards issue beaching permission as per the laid down procedure. The following certification/clearances are required prior to issue of breaking permissions for any ship by the State Maritime Board:
(a) Gas free certificate being issued by the Inspector of Explosives.
(b) Decontamination Certificate from State Pollution Control Board.
(c) License issued by Directorate of Industrial Safety and Health, State Government.
In May, 2009, IMO has adopted the Hong Kong International Convention on Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships. The Government of India has not yet ratified the Convention.
The above information was given by the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Environment and Forests, Shrimati Jayanthi Natarajan to the Parliament.
(Release ID :90070)