English Release 31-January 2015
- President's Secretariat
- President of India Congratulates DRDO on the Successful Test-Firing of Agni-V
- President’s Message on the Occasion of 38th Anniversary of Indian Coast Guard
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM salutes our scientists, on the successful test-firing of Agni V missile
- PM gives best wishes to all athletes participating in the 35th National Games
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- Commemorative Postage Stamp on Swachh Bharat Released
- Min of Culture
Dr Mahesh Sharma lays foundation stone of campus buildings of National Museum Institute and Indian Culinary Institute
- Min of Information & Broadcasting
- Siri Fort Auditorium amongst the top 50 auditoriums for cinema viewing in India- Col Rajyavardhan Rathore
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- ACC Appointments
- Ministry of Tourism
- Dr Mahesh Sharma lays foundation stone of campus buildings of National Museum Institute and Indian Culinary Institute
- Min of Urban Development
- Speech made by the Hon’ble Union Minister for Urban Development at the Inauguration of 35th National Games in Kerala on 31st January, 2015
- States show the way forward on building smart cities
Ministry of Human Resource Development07-December, 2012 17:58 IST
|Setting up of Degree Colleges in Educationally Backward Districts |
| According to the University Grants Commission (UGC),374 Educationally Backward Districts (EBDs) were identified in the country(based on Census 2001), which had a Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) of less than 12.4%. |
A Centrally Sponsored Scheme to establish one Model Degree College in each of the identified 374 Educationally Backward Districts (EBDs) of the country was launched in 2010. Under the Scheme, the share of capital expenditure between the Central and State Governments is in the ratio of 1:2, limited to Rs. 2.67 crore central share for the establishment of each college. For Special Category States, the ratio is 1:1, limited to central share of Rs. 4 crore for each college. Land is provided free of cost by the State Governments. The balance amount of the capital cost, and the recurring cost of running these new colleges is to be met by the concerned State Governments.
Colleges established on or after 1st January, 2008 in the EBDs are also eligible to be covered under the Scheme. A clear Memorandum of Understanding is signed with each State Government before release of funds.
As per information made available by the University Grants Commission (UGC), a total of 153 proposals have been received, of which 86 have been approved and 33 have been rejected on grounds of ineligibility. So far, 50 Model Degree Colleges have become functional and the UGC has released Rs. 52.06 crores for their functioning.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Human Resource Development, Dr. Shashi Tharoor in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :90199)