English Release 22-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President’s Diwali greetings
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets People on Deepawali
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM shares the link of his page for Diwali wishes
- Min of Culture
- Former Chief Election Commissioner, Shri N Gopalaswami appointed as Chairman of Kalakshetra Foundation Chennai
- Min of Defence
- Update on Su-30 Accident
- Min of Human Resource Development
- Ministry of Human Resource Development Launches All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2014-15
- Min of Information & Broadcasting
- Government to commemorate Sardar Patel’s birthday on October 31 as ‘Rashtriya Ekta Divas’.
- Min of Micro,Small & Medium Enterprises
- The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises gets ISO 9001: 2008 Certificate
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 83.73 per bbl on 21.10.2014
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- India won 3 Medals at 2nd Asian Para Games 2014 on 21st October, 2014
Ministry of Human Resource Development07-December, 2012 17:58 IST
|Setting up of Degree Colleges in Educationally Backward Districts |
| According to the University Grants Commission (UGC),374 Educationally Backward Districts (EBDs) were identified in the country(based on Census 2001), which had a Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) of less than 12.4%. |
A Centrally Sponsored Scheme to establish one Model Degree College in each of the identified 374 Educationally Backward Districts (EBDs) of the country was launched in 2010. Under the Scheme, the share of capital expenditure between the Central and State Governments is in the ratio of 1:2, limited to Rs. 2.67 crore central share for the establishment of each college. For Special Category States, the ratio is 1:1, limited to central share of Rs. 4 crore for each college. Land is provided free of cost by the State Governments. The balance amount of the capital cost, and the recurring cost of running these new colleges is to be met by the concerned State Governments.
Colleges established on or after 1st January, 2008 in the EBDs are also eligible to be covered under the Scheme. A clear Memorandum of Understanding is signed with each State Government before release of funds.
As per information made available by the University Grants Commission (UGC), a total of 153 proposals have been received, of which 86 have been approved and 33 have been rejected on grounds of ineligibility. So far, 50 Model Degree Colleges have become functional and the UGC has released Rs. 52.06 crores for their functioning.
This information was given by the Minister of State for Human Resource Development, Dr. Shashi Tharoor in Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :90199)