English Release 10-March 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President of India to present standard to 112 HU and colours to 4 BRD of Indian Air Force tomorrow
- Election Commission
- Fact Sheet on Meghalaya
- Voter turnout in General Elections 2009: Lowest in J&K and Highest in Nagaland
- Fact Sheet on Manipur
- Min of Culture
- Festival of India in Vietnam
Ministry of Minority Affairs07-December, 2012 18:43 IST
|Improvement in Condition of Muslims |
|The poverty estimates for Muslims are based on the Press Note on Poverty Estimates, 2009-10 released by the Planning Commission, Government of India in March 2012. |
In urban areas poverty ratio at all India level is highest for Muslims (33.9%). Similarly, for urban areas the poverty ratio is high for Muslims in states such as Rajasthan (29.5%), Uttar Pradesh (49.5%), Gujarat (42.4%), Bihar (56.5%) and West Bengal (34.9%)
In rural areas, the head count ratio for Muslims is very high in states such as Assam (53.6%), Uttar Pradesh (44.4%), West Bengal (34.4%) and Gujarat (31.4%)
As per the India Human Development Report 2011 published by the Institute of Applied Manpower Research, Planning Commission details regarding Literacy And Employment status of Muslims are -
Literacy Rate for Muslims, 2007-08.
Rural -63.5%; Urban-75.1% ; Source: Calculated from NSS Database 64th Round (for 2007-08). Note: For population 7 years and above.
Employment Status for Muslims, 2007-08.
Worker Population Ratio by Usual Principal and Subsidiary Status for Muslims in 2009-10.
Rural-51.8%; Urban-45.9%; Source: Calculated from NSS, Database (50th and 61st Rounds).
Note: For population aged 15 years and above.
The details of schemes/programmes being implemented by the Ministry for the welfare of notified minorities, including Muslims, are -
-Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP)
- Pre-matric Scholarship Scheme
- Post-matric Scholarship Scheme.
- Maulana Azad National Fellowship For Minority Students.
- Merit-cum-Means based Scholarship.
- Free Coaching and Allied Scheme.
- Maulana Azad Education Foundation Scholarship Scheme for Meritorious Girls
- Loan Schemes of National Minorities Development & Finance Corporation.
- Leadership Development of Minority Women.
- Computerization of records of State Wakf Boards.
- Schemes of other Ministries/Departments under Prime Minister’s New 15 Point Programme where earmarking of 15% of financial outlays/physical targets is done or flow of fund/benefit to areas with substantial minority population and progress under schemes/initiatives meant for minorities is monitored.
This was stated by Shri Ninong Ering, the Minister of State in the Ministry of Minority Affairs in response to a written question in Lok Sabha yesterday. The question related to the latest data available on the poverty, literacy and employment status of the Muslim in the country; and the schemes and programmes being implemented/proposed to be implemented by the Union government to improve the condition of the Muslims in the States
(Release ID :90229)