English Release 25-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Speech by the President of India
Shri Pranab Mukherjee on the Occasion of Release of a Commemorative Postage Stamp on
- President of India Releases a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Anagarika Dharmapala
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi’s address at the ceremony held to rededicate, Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre, in Mumbai
- PM rededicates Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre in Mumbai
- PM greets the Nation on auspicious occasion of Bhai Dooj
- Election Commission
- Press Note
- Schedule for bye-election to fill casual vacancies in the Legislative Assembly of NCT of Delhi – Regarding.
- Schedule for General Elections to the Legislative Assemblies of Jharkhand and Jammu & Kashmir.
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- Minister for Communications & IT and Law & Justice, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad Spoke at the Release Function of a Postage Stamp Commemorating Srimath Anagarika Dharmapala, the Great Buddhist Thinker and Visionary from Sri Lanka
- Ministry of Finance
- President of India
to Inaugurate Three Day Accountants’ General Conference on Monday
- Min of Home Affairs
- Observance of the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas on 31st October
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Dr. Jitendra Singh says Indian bureaucrats need constant re-orientation as they face new challenges every day
Ministry of Agriculture11-December, 2012 17:39 IST
|Seed Banks to Provide Quality Seed to Farmers |
|18 seed banks are in operation in the States of Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Kerala through the State Seed Corporations/Seeds Development Authority (SSCs) and in Tamil Nadu through State Department of Agriculture. National Seeds Corporation and State Farms Corporation of India also operate Seed Banks at National Level. The objectives of the Seed Bank are to meet requirement of Seed arising due to natural calamities and other unforeseen conditions like drought, floods etc. The certified and foundation seeds of location specific varieties including local varieties which are suitable for such situations are generally kept in the Seed Bank. The existing seeds banks are adequate to meet the needs of the farmers. |
Seed Banks are established based on the needs expressed by the States and with a specific mandate to provide alternate seeds in the event of unforeseen calamities such as drought, flood etc. The seeds that are stored in these banks are of short and medium duration varieties of crops suited for the area and to meet the requirement of contingent situations.
However, the National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR) and national active germplasm sites which are operating as Gene banks in different states have objectives to collect, characterize, evaluate, conserve and to make available germplasm including land races, wild species and traditional varieties of different crops including indigenous varieties of vegetables, grains and cereals for agricultural research purposes. Also, these gene banks conserve local varieties.
This information was given by Shri Tariq Anwar, Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Processing Industries in written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha today.
MP: DS: CP: seed banks (11.12.2012)
(Release ID :90409)