English Release 21-August 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Rashtrapati Bhavan’s ‘In-Residence Programme’ to feature two artists and two writers in September 2014
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket increased to US$ 100.32 per bbl on 20.08.2014
- Ministry of Railways
- Commodity-Wise Freight Revenue Earnings of Railways goes up by 14.72 per cent during the Month of July 2014 & 9.30 per cent during April-July 2014
- Ministry of Tourism
- Full text of the Resolution adopted at the Second National Conference of Tourism Ministers
- Full text of the speech of the Union Tourism and Culture Minister Shri Shripad Yesso Naik at the inaugural session of the State Tourism Ministers’ Conference
Prime Minister's Office12-December, 2012 14:40 IST
|PM condoles the passing away of Pandit Ravi Shankar |
|The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh has condoled the passing away of eminent Musician Pandit Ravi Shankar. In his condolence message, the Prime Minister described him as "one of its most effective cultural ambassadors across the world". The text of Prime Minister's letter to Mrs. Shankar is as follows:
"I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing away of Bharat Ratna Pandit Ravi Shankar. India has lost an eminent son, the world of sitar has lost one of its ablest exponents ever and a shining light in the firmament of music has been extinguished. Like many others around the world, I join you in grieving this loss and in extending to you and your loved ones my heartfelt condolences.
I consider it a personal privilege to have known Pandit Ravi Shankar and to have served together with him as a member of the Rajya Sabha. It was difficult, often, to judge what was more remarkable – the man or his music. The nation was fortunate not only to be able to enjoy his music, but also to have him as one of its most effective cultural ambassadors across the world. His humanism, combined with his musical genius, helped him in building cross-civilizational contacts that served the world of music and benefited humanity at large.
I am aware that it will be difficult to come to terms with this grievous loss and that words are scant consolation at such a time. I pray that Pandit Ravi Shankar's soul find eternal peace and that you and your family members be granted the strength and fortitude to bear this loss. Once again, please accept my sincerest condolences."
(Release ID :90441)