English Release 30-September 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President congratulates medal winners in Asian Games 2014
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi's interaction session at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York
- Vision Statement for the U.S.-India Strategic Partnership
- PM’s address and interaction at Council on Foreign Relations in New York City
- Min of New and Renewable Energy
- First Renewable Energy Global Investment Promotion Meet & Expo to be held in February 2015
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 95.26 per bbl on 29.09.2014
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- India won 2 Gold, 2 Silver and 3 Bronze Medals on Day 11 of Asian Games 2014
- Min of Women and Child Development
- Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi launches the New Guaranteed Minimum Pension Scheme in Dehradun
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions17-December, 2012 20:56 IST
|Rajya Sabha Passes Constitutional Amendment Bill |
|The Government of India has always been concerned about the welfare of downtrodden especially Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. As a part of the affirmative action, reservation in promotion had been available to the SCs and STs since 1955. However, some decisions of the Supreme Court like in Indra Sawhney, Veer Pal Singh Chauhan and S. Vinod Kumar cases had caused certain effects on the scheme of reservation in promotion for SCs and STs. To overcome these effects, the Government had brought four Constitutional amendments, namely, 77th, 81st , 82nd and 85th amendments. |
The latest of such judgments was in M. Nagaraj case in which the Supreme Court has laid down some pre-requisite conditions for providing reservation in promotion. These conditions are, namely, assessing the quantum of representation of SCs, STs, there backwardness and effect on efficiency.
In wake of the effects of the judgment of Supreme Court the Government had introduced a Constitutional Amendment Bill in Rajya Sabha during the last session so that the Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes may continue to get reservation in promotion as existing. There had been demand to retain Article 335. Accordingly, the Bill was amended to delete the words “ or in Article 335”, so that the condition of the efficiency as mentioned in the Article 335 should continue to be a part of the Constitution and should not be obliterated. Moreover, it ensures that the effects of proviso to article 335 are retained which permits relaxed standards for candidates belonging to the scheduled castes and the scheduled tribes in case of promotion against reserved vacancies. The amended Bill has now been passed by the Rajya Sabha.
The Government is making efforts to get the Bill passed by the Lok Sabha also in this session itself.
(Release ID :90855)