English Release 24-April 2014
- Election Commission
- List of Contesting Candidates for Parliamentry Constituences(for Poll Dates Till 24 th April)
- Min of Civil Aviation
Delhi Airport to Become Zero Diversionary Airport
- Min of Culture
- Festival of India in China – Launch of Logo, Release of Posters and Webpage
- Min of Earth Science
- IMD Releases Long Range Forecast for the 2014 Southwest Monsoon Season Rainfall
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Civil Services (Main) Examination, 2012
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket decline marginally to US$ 106.81 per bbl on 23.4.2014
- Ministry of Railways
- International Conference on - ‘Emerging Fire Protection Technologies for Rolling Stock’ Inaugurated
Ministry of Home Affairs24-December, 2012 16:37 IST
|Review of Existing Laws on Safety of Women
Justice verma Committee Invites Suggestions from Public
|The recent incident of rape and brutal assault on a young woman in Delhi has shaken the conscience of the nation and has triggered a serious debate amongst jurists, civil society members and women’s groups about inadequacy of the present laws to protect the safety and dignity of women.|
The Government has given anxious consideration to the need for reviewing the present laws so as to provide for speedier justice and enhanced punishment in cases of aggravated sexual assault. For that purpose, a Committee has been constituted by the Union Government on 23.12.2012 under the Chairmanship of Justice (Retd.) Shri J.S. Verma, former Chief Justice of India. The other two Members are – (i) Justice Smt. Leila Seth, former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court (ii) Shri Gopal Subramanian, former Solicitor General of India, former Chairman of Bar Council of India and eminent Jurist.
The Committee has to submit its Report within 30 days. The public in general and particularly the eminent jurists, legal professionals, NGOs, Women’s Groups and civil Society members are requested to share with this Committee their views, knowledge and experience suggesting possible amendments in the criminal laws and other relevant laws to provide for quicker investigation, prosecution and trial as also enhanced punishment for criminals accused of committing sexual assault of extreme nature against women.
The suggestions can be sent by e-mail to email@example.com or through fax at 011-23092675.
The suggestions should be sent by January 05, 2013 so as to enable the committee to complete its task and give its report with necessary recommendations within the available time.
(Release ID :91148)