English Release 19-June 2013
- Presidents Secretariat
- President of India to visit Tripura from June 20 to 21
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM congratulates President-elect Rowhani of Iran
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
Extension of time for receiving comments on draft amendments to the Interconnection Regulations applicable for Digital Addressable Cable Television Systems (DAS) and Tariff Order applicable for all addressable systems
- Min of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
National Consumer Helpline Records 12,704 Calls in may, 2013
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Smt. Santosh Chowdhary takes over as Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare
- Min of Human Resource Development
- MoS for HRD Shri Jitin Prasada visits Seoul International Book Fair (SIBF) 2013
- HRD Ministry to Strengthen Monitoring System of Mid Day Meal Scheme
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- International crude oil price of Indian Basket declines to
103.20/US$ bbl on 18.6.2013
- Ministry of Railways
- Commodity-Wise Freight Revenue by Railways Goes up by 8.66 Per Cent During April-May 2013
- Shri Mallikarjun Kharge Takes Over as Minister of Railways
- Min of Textiles
- K S Rao Takes Charge as New Textiles Minister
Ministry of Home Affairs24-December, 2012 16:37 IST
|Review of Existing Laws on Safety of Women
Justice verma Committee Invites Suggestions from Public
|The recent incident of rape and brutal assault on a young woman in Delhi has shaken the conscience of the nation and has triggered a serious debate amongst jurists, civil society members and women’s groups about inadequacy of the present laws to protect the safety and dignity of women.|
The Government has given anxious consideration to the need for reviewing the present laws so as to provide for speedier justice and enhanced punishment in cases of aggravated sexual assault. For that purpose, a Committee has been constituted by the Union Government on 23.12.2012 under the Chairmanship of Justice (Retd.) Shri J.S. Verma, former Chief Justice of India. The other two Members are – (i) Justice Smt. Leila Seth, former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court (ii) Shri Gopal Subramanian, former Solicitor General of India, former Chairman of Bar Council of India and eminent Jurist.
The Committee has to submit its Report within 30 days. The public in general and particularly the eminent jurists, legal professionals, NGOs, Women’s Groups and civil Society members are requested to share with this Committee their views, knowledge and experience suggesting possible amendments in the criminal laws and other relevant laws to provide for quicker investigation, prosecution and trial as also enhanced punishment for criminals accused of committing sexual assault of extreme nature against women.
The suggestions can be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or through fax at 011-23092675.
The suggestions should be sent by January 05, 2013 so as to enable the committee to complete its task and give its report with necessary recommendations within the available time.
(Release ID :91148)