English Release 21-May 2013
- Presidents Secretariat
- Premier of the State Council of China calls on President
- Election Commission
- Schedule for bye-election to fill casual vacancy from 2 – Mandi Parliamentary Constituency (Himachal Pradesh) - Regarding
- Min of Agriculture
Farmers, Farming Communities to be Honoured for Conserving Plant Genetic Resources
- Min of Defence
- Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV)ICGS ‘Vaibhav’commissioned
- Min of Environment and Forests
- Development of Community Forest Resources
- Ministry of Finance
- Shashi Kant Sharma, Defence Secretary Appointed as the New Comptroller & Auditor General of India
- Rationalisation of With-Holding Tax (WHT) to Encourage Greater Subscription in Indian Debt Securities by Foreign Investors, Encourage Development of the Indian Debt Market and Accelerate the Pace of Growth of the Indian Economy
- Government urges all tax Payers to Disclose their True income and pay Appropriate taxes within the Current Financial Year;
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Indo- Swiss Bilateral Meet Held at Geneva
- Min of Home Affairs
- Anti-Terrorism Day Observed
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- ACC Appointments
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- International crude oil price of Indian Basket Rises sharply
to 102.50/US$ bbl on 20.5.2013
- Min of Power
- Sustainability Report of NTPC Released
- Min of Steel
- Steel Minister reviews SAIL’s performance and progress of Modernisation and Expansion
- Planning Commission
- Minister Administers Anti-Terrorism Oath
Ministry of Home Affairs26-December, 2012 16:40 IST
|Justice J.S.Verma Committee holds its First Meeting |
More than 6,000 E-Mails Received
The Justice Verma Committee held its first meeting on 26.12.2012 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. The main highlights of the press release issued by the Committee after the meeting are as below: |
i) The Committee proceeded to take note of the way forward and is conscious that the work must be completed within the stipulated time-frame.
ii) The Committee appeals to all members of the public who are interested in making any suggestions, that they may do so without any reservations not later than 5.1.2013. In the event there are persons who would like, for personal reasons, that their identity be kept confidential, they may clearly indicate so.
iii) The Committee is also requesting heads of the Judiciary, members of the media, leading statesmen and public figures, as well as members of the academic community and various human rights organisations, in India and overseas, for their suggestions.
iv) The Committee is pleased to note that, as a consequence of the steps taken, 6100 emails containing suggestions have already been received by the Committee as on 26.12.2012. The members of the Committee have also requested various leaders of the Bar, including the Bar Council of India, and eminent authors and experts in the field of women development studies to offer their suggestions. The response from such specialists has been overwhelming.
v) All responses in writing should be made available to the Committee no later than 5.1.2013. The said written responses may be sent to the Committee by way of email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) or by fax (to 011-23092675).
vi) The Committee interprets the Terms of Reference as wide enough to include connected areas such as gender justice, respect towards womanhood, and ancillary matters.
The three eminent jurists’ Committee was constituted to look into possible amendments to the criminal law so as to provide for quicker trial and enhanced punishment for criminals, accused of committing sexual assault of extreme nature against women. The Committee is headed by Shri Justice (Retd) J.S.Verma, former Chief Justice of India. Smt. Justice(Retd) Leila Seth, former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh and Shri Gopal Subramaniam, former Solicitor General of India are the other members.
(Release ID :91179)