English Release 22-December 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President of India’s message on the eve of National Day of Japan
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Statement by Shri Jagat Prakash Nadda, Minister of Health & Family Welfare on 22nd December, 2014 in Lok Sabha in response to the call attention motion regarding the situation arising out of spread of “Encephalitis’’ in Uttar Pradesh and other parts of the country and steps taken by the Government in this regard
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 56.91 per bbl on 19.12.2014
- Min of Power
- Advisory Group for Integrated Development of Power, Coal, and Renewable Energy Submits its Report
Ministry of Home Affairs26-December, 2012 16:40 IST
|Justice J.S.Verma Committee holds its First Meeting |
More than 6,000 E-Mails Received
The Justice Verma Committee held its first meeting on 26.12.2012 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. The main highlights of the press release issued by the Committee after the meeting are as below: |
i) The Committee proceeded to take note of the way forward and is conscious that the work must be completed within the stipulated time-frame.
ii) The Committee appeals to all members of the public who are interested in making any suggestions, that they may do so without any reservations not later than 5.1.2013. In the event there are persons who would like, for personal reasons, that their identity be kept confidential, they may clearly indicate so.
iii) The Committee is also requesting heads of the Judiciary, members of the media, leading statesmen and public figures, as well as members of the academic community and various human rights organisations, in India and overseas, for their suggestions.
iv) The Committee is pleased to note that, as a consequence of the steps taken, 6100 emails containing suggestions have already been received by the Committee as on 26.12.2012. The members of the Committee have also requested various leaders of the Bar, including the Bar Council of India, and eminent authors and experts in the field of women development studies to offer their suggestions. The response from such specialists has been overwhelming.
v) All responses in writing should be made available to the Committee no later than 5.1.2013. The said written responses may be sent to the Committee by way of email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) or by fax (to 011-23092675).
vi) The Committee interprets the Terms of Reference as wide enough to include connected areas such as gender justice, respect towards womanhood, and ancillary matters.
The three eminent jurists’ Committee was constituted to look into possible amendments to the criminal law so as to provide for quicker trial and enhanced punishment for criminals, accused of committing sexual assault of extreme nature against women. The Committee is headed by Shri Justice (Retd) J.S.Verma, former Chief Justice of India. Smt. Justice(Retd) Leila Seth, former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh and Shri Gopal Subramaniam, former Solicitor General of India are the other members.
(Release ID :91179)