English Release 11-March 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President of India presents standard to 112 HU and colours to 4 BRD of Indian Air Force
- Election Commission
- Fact Sheet on Haryana
- Fact Sheet on Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- Fact Sheet on Chandigarh
- Election Expenditure per elector up by twenty times in 2009 compared to first General Elections
- Fact Sheet on NCT of Delhi
- Press Note
- Min of Civil Aviation
- India Aviation – 2014 : A Curtain Raiser
- Min of Commerce & Industry
- India’s Foreign Trade: February, 2014
- Min of Culture
- 124th Foundation Day Celebrations of National Archives of India
- Ministry of Finance
CBEC Denies any Holding of Customs, Excise Duty and Service Tax Refunds/Drawbacks
- Min of Home Affairs
National Workshop on Civil Registration
- Min of New and Renewable Energy
- India and Sudan Agree to Promote Cooperation in Renewable Energy
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Civil Services (Main) Examination,2013- Result Declared
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket declines to 105.46 per bbl on 10.3.2014
- Planning Commission
- India-US Energy Dialogue
Ministry of Home Affairs26-December, 2012 16:40 IST
|Justice J.S.Verma Committee holds its First Meeting |
More than 6,000 E-Mails Received
The Justice Verma Committee held its first meeting on 26.12.2012 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. The main highlights of the press release issued by the Committee after the meeting are as below: |
i) The Committee proceeded to take note of the way forward and is conscious that the work must be completed within the stipulated time-frame.
ii) The Committee appeals to all members of the public who are interested in making any suggestions, that they may do so without any reservations not later than 5.1.2013. In the event there are persons who would like, for personal reasons, that their identity be kept confidential, they may clearly indicate so.
iii) The Committee is also requesting heads of the Judiciary, members of the media, leading statesmen and public figures, as well as members of the academic community and various human rights organisations, in India and overseas, for their suggestions.
iv) The Committee is pleased to note that, as a consequence of the steps taken, 6100 emails containing suggestions have already been received by the Committee as on 26.12.2012. The members of the Committee have also requested various leaders of the Bar, including the Bar Council of India, and eminent authors and experts in the field of women development studies to offer their suggestions. The response from such specialists has been overwhelming.
v) All responses in writing should be made available to the Committee no later than 5.1.2013. The said written responses may be sent to the Committee by way of email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) or by fax (to 011-23092675).
vi) The Committee interprets the Terms of Reference as wide enough to include connected areas such as gender justice, respect towards womanhood, and ancillary matters.
The three eminent jurists’ Committee was constituted to look into possible amendments to the criminal law so as to provide for quicker trial and enhanced punishment for criminals, accused of committing sexual assault of extreme nature against women. The Committee is headed by Shri Justice (Retd) J.S.Verma, former Chief Justice of India. Smt. Justice(Retd) Leila Seth, former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh and Shri Gopal Subramaniam, former Solicitor General of India are the other members.
(Release ID :91179)