English Release 1-November 2014
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM greets People of Madhya Pradesh on State’s Foundation Day
- PM greets People of Haryana on Haryana Day
- PM greets the people of Karnataka on Kannada Rajyotsava
- PM greets the people of Chhattisgarh on their Foundation Day
- Min of Defence
- Air Marshal B Suresh Takes Over as Senior Air Staff Officer Western Air Command, IAF
- Min of Environment and Forests
- Illegal Wildlife Products to be incinerated at National Zoological Park tomorrow
- Ministry of Finance
- Change in Tariff Value of Crude Palm Oil, RBD Palm Oil, Others – Palm Oil, Crude Palmolein, RBD Palmolein, Others – Palmolein, Crude Soyabean Oil, Brass Scrap (All Grades), Poppy Seeds, Areca Nuts, Gold and Silver Notified
- Term of the Fourteenth Finance Commission Extended by Two Months up to 31st December, 2014
Ministry of Earth Science18-March, 2013 17:31 IST
|Rise in Sea Level |
Reported study published in Environmental Research Letters of Nov., 2012, through http:// iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/7/4/0440305/article confirms that sea level rise is happening as fast and in some cases faster than climate models had projected. The satellite based linear trend during 1993-2011 is estimated to be 3.2±0.5mm/year that is about 60% higher than the best estimate of 2.0mm/year by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), 2007 assessment report. However, the estimated sea level rise by the tide gauge records (of over 200) for the period 1993-2009 is found to be about 2.8±0.8mm/year. |
Sea level rise is a very slow phenomenon and is manifested globally with pockets of sea level rise/fall trends. However, the trends of sea level rise as estimated by tide gauge data is found to be 13mm/decade. The corresponding satellite derived estimates over the Indian Ocean are found to be in the range of 3.0mm/year with pockets of higher rise along the east of Malaya peninsula, south Indian Ocean between Madagascar and Australia.
However, no alarming warning has been given by the concerned authorities, both foreign and Indian, to the population living in the coastal regions.
Union Minister of Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Shri S.Jaipal Reddy gave this information in reply to a written question in the Rajya Sabha today.
(Release ID :93901)