English Release 24-October 2014
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM conveys greetings on United Nations Day
- PM salutes our brave ITBP personnel on the Raising Day of ITBP
- Min of Agriculture
- Kharif Rice Area Coverage
- Min of Commerce & Industry
- DIPP Constitutes IPR Think Tank to Draft National Intellectual Property Rights Policy
- Min of Defence
- Brave Heart NCC Cadets Rescue Middle Aged Woman
from River Yamuna
- Ministry of Finance
- Government approves Twenty (20) Proposals of Foreign Direct Investment amounting to Rs 988.3 Crore
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Dr Harsh Vardhan offers cooperation to Pakistan to end polio
- Min of Home Affairs
- Home Minister addresses 53rd Raising Day Function of Indo Tibetan Border Police Force
- Observance of the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas on 31st October
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Modified DBTL Scheme
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 83.61 per bbl on 23.10.2014
- Min of Road Transport & Highways
- Electronic Toll Collection System to be Inaugurated on October 31, 2014
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- India’s Performance at 2nd Asian Para Games 2014 on 22nd and 23rd October, 2014
- Min of Urban Development
- Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu adopts Hudhud cyclone ravaged village of Andhra Pradesh for rehabilitation
Ministry of Tourism24-August, 2013 17:31 IST
|Press Note by Dr..K.Chiranjeevi, Union Minister of Tourism on the Issue of Safety of Foreign Women Tourists |
|Dr.K.Chiranjeevi, Minister of State for Tourism (I/C) has expressed his concern over media reports of harassment met by an American student in India. He has issued a Press Note as under on the efforts of the Govt. of india in ensuring safety of women tourists in India. |
I was extremely pained when I read about the harassment that a student encountered during her year long stay in India. I have personally taken-up similar issues with several Chief Ministers and have addressed all State Tourism Ministers. Consequently, all state tourism departments have unanimously agreed to put into place, measures to give greater security to all tourists, specially women tourists.
Our Ministry has also launched a sensitization campaign called “I respect women” which is about according due respect to women. I am now coordinating with the concerned Union Ministries – firstly, to raise awareness about the need for more sensitive behavior towards women and secondly, to provide greater security.
In all cases that are brought to our attention, we will Endeavour to take remedial action as appropriate.
I may mention that in the two unfortunate incidents that involved foreign tourists that took place this year, in both cases, the culprits involved were speedily acted against. In Madhya Pradesh, the culprits were arrested within two days and sentences of life imprisonment were given to them in 4 months. In Himachal Pradesh the culprits were apprehended within a week.
I am also co-ordinating with various Ministries like Ministry of Home Affair, Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of Law and Ministry of Justice & Justice etc to bring about further measures for enhancing the security of tourists, especially the women tourists.
(Release ID :98620)