English Release 29-March 2015
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM's remarks in condolence book, at the funeral of the founding father of Singapore, Mr. Lee Kuan Yew
- PM meets Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore, Emeritus Senior Minister of Singapore, and President of Israel
- Remarks by Prime Minister to the Media at Singapore
- Ministry of Finance
- Government Releases About Rs. 385 Crore to Andhra Pradesh while about Rs. 150 Crore to Telangana as part of the 13th Finance Commission Recommendations
- Min of Parliamentary Affairs
- Rajya Sabha prorogued
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Dr. Jitendra Singh receives Rs. 25 lakh cheque for J&K flood relief
- Practice of Yoga best for health: Dr. Jitendra Singh
Ministry of Tourism24-August, 2013 17:31 IST
|Press Note by Dr..K.Chiranjeevi, Union Minister of Tourism on the Issue of Safety of Foreign Women Tourists |
|Dr.K.Chiranjeevi, Minister of State for Tourism (I/C) has expressed his concern over media reports of harassment met by an American student in India. He has issued a Press Note as under on the efforts of the Govt. of india in ensuring safety of women tourists in India. |
I was extremely pained when I read about the harassment that a student encountered during her year long stay in India. I have personally taken-up similar issues with several Chief Ministers and have addressed all State Tourism Ministers. Consequently, all state tourism departments have unanimously agreed to put into place, measures to give greater security to all tourists, specially women tourists.
Our Ministry has also launched a sensitization campaign called “I respect women” which is about according due respect to women. I am now coordinating with the concerned Union Ministries – firstly, to raise awareness about the need for more sensitive behavior towards women and secondly, to provide greater security.
In all cases that are brought to our attention, we will Endeavour to take remedial action as appropriate.
I may mention that in the two unfortunate incidents that involved foreign tourists that took place this year, in both cases, the culprits involved were speedily acted against. In Madhya Pradesh, the culprits were arrested within two days and sentences of life imprisonment were given to them in 4 months. In Himachal Pradesh the culprits were apprehended within a week.
I am also co-ordinating with various Ministries like Ministry of Home Affair, Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of Law and Ministry of Justice & Justice etc to bring about further measures for enhancing the security of tourists, especially the women tourists.
(Release ID :98620)