English Release 24-April 2014
- Election Commission
- List of Contesting Candidates for Parliamentry Constituences(for Poll Dates Till 24 th April)
- Min of Civil Aviation
Delhi Airport to Become Zero Diversionary Airport
- Min of Culture
- Festival of India in China – Launch of Logo, Release of Posters and Webpage
- Min of Earth Science
- IMD Releases Long Range Forecast for the 2014 Southwest Monsoon Season Rainfall
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Civil Services (Main) Examination, 2012
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket decline marginally to US$ 106.81 per bbl on 23.4.2014
- Ministry of Railways
- International Conference on - ‘Emerging Fire Protection Technologies for Rolling Stock’ Inaugurated
Ministry of Tourism24-August, 2013 17:31 IST
|Press Note by Dr..K.Chiranjeevi, Union Minister of Tourism on the Issue of Safety of Foreign Women Tourists |
|Dr.K.Chiranjeevi, Minister of State for Tourism (I/C) has expressed his concern over media reports of harassment met by an American student in India. He has issued a Press Note as under on the efforts of the Govt. of india in ensuring safety of women tourists in India. |
I was extremely pained when I read about the harassment that a student encountered during her year long stay in India. I have personally taken-up similar issues with several Chief Ministers and have addressed all State Tourism Ministers. Consequently, all state tourism departments have unanimously agreed to put into place, measures to give greater security to all tourists, specially women tourists.
Our Ministry has also launched a sensitization campaign called “I respect women” which is about according due respect to women. I am now coordinating with the concerned Union Ministries – firstly, to raise awareness about the need for more sensitive behavior towards women and secondly, to provide greater security.
In all cases that are brought to our attention, we will Endeavour to take remedial action as appropriate.
I may mention that in the two unfortunate incidents that involved foreign tourists that took place this year, in both cases, the culprits involved were speedily acted against. In Madhya Pradesh, the culprits were arrested within two days and sentences of life imprisonment were given to them in 4 months. In Himachal Pradesh the culprits were apprehended within a week.
I am also co-ordinating with various Ministries like Ministry of Home Affair, Ministry of External Affairs, Ministry of Law and Ministry of Justice & Justice etc to bring about further measures for enhancing the security of tourists, especially the women tourists.
(Release ID :98620)