English Release 22-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President’s Diwali greetings
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets People on Deepawali
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM's 2nd "Mann Ki Baat" programme on 2nd November
- PM shares the link of his page for Diwali wishes
- Min of Culture
- Former Chief Election Commissioner, Shri N Gopalaswami appointed as Chairman of Kalakshetra Foundation Chennai
- Min of Defence
- Update on Su-30 Accident
- Min of Human Resource Development
- Ministry of Human Resource Development Launches All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2014-15
- Min of Information & Broadcasting
- Government to commemorate Sardar Patel’s birthday on October 31 as ‘Rashtriya Ekta Divas’.
- Min of Micro,Small & Medium Enterprises
- The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises gets ISO 9001: 2008 Certificate
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 83.73 per bbl on 21.10.2014
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- India won 3 Medals at 2nd Asian Para Games 2014 on 21st October, 2014
Ministry of Finance13-September, 2013 18:22 IST
|Income Tax Department Sends Letters to Another Batch of 35,000 Non-Filers to File Returns and Pay Taxes Thereon; Letters Issued in 2,45,000 Cases So Far |
|As part of a massive exercise to identify high risk non-filers of Income Tax returns and ask them to file returns and pay taxes thereon, the Income Tax Department has sent letters to another batch of 35,000 non-filers this week. These persons were part of around 12 lakh non-filers identified by the Department by mining its database. With this latest batch, the Department has now issued letters in 2,45,000 cases. |
In order to contact the taxpayers, who have shifted their address or have refused to receive the letter, the help of field formations in being sought. The assessing officers posted all over the country have been supplied the details of such taxpayers on an online monitoring system. The assessing officers have been asked to contact the taxpayer and persuade them file their return and pay due taxes.
As a result of this exercise, 3,44,365 returns have been received from the target segment. Such persons have also paid self assessment tax amounting to Rs 577 crore and advance tax of Rs. 408 crore. The Income Tax Department plans to pursue such cases vigorously to spread the message that while the Department is improving its taxpayer services to facilitate honest taxpayers, it also has the will to go after recalcitrant taxpayers. This exercise will continue till all potential non-filers are covered.
The Department now proposes to extend this exercise to persons who have conducted high value transactions during F.Y. 2010-11 and F.Y. 2011-12. It is also developing a dedicated module on the e-filing portal which will give details of returns not filed, ITR-V not submitted, demand not paid etc to individual taxpayer. The taxpayer can post his comments so that situation on such issues is crystallised. This will be one more step towards greater transparency and minimizing the grievance of tax payers.
(Release ID :99369)