English Release 22-November 2014
- President's Secretariat
- State Civil Service Officers Undergoing the 116th Induction Training Programme At Lbsnaa Call On The President
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Emphasizes the Need for Continual Oversight to Ensure that Liberty is not Smothered in Material Prosperit
- Min of Defence
- National Cadet Corps Celebrates 66th Anniversary
- Ministry of Finance
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) Invites Comments from Public in Respect of Proposed Combination Between Holcim Limited and Lafarge S.A.
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Press Note on Ebola
- Min of Information & Broadcasting
- Team Of ‘Gour Hari Dastaan: The Freedom File’ Meets the Press at the 45TH IFFI
- Directors and Producers of Indian Panorama Opening Films in the 45th IFFI Interact with the Media
- Indian Philosophy of Mutual Respect and Love are My Source of Inspiration: Paul Cox
- ‘Salam Cinema’ Screening Opens Mohsen Makhmalbaf Retro
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Review of Modified DBTL scheme after one week of launch on 15.11.14 in 54 districts
- Min of Urban Development
- Venkaiah Naidu, Urban Development Minister, delivers Keynote Address at US – India Smart Cities Conclave
- Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu visits market, residential areas in R K Puram, New Delhi to check cleanliness
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Government to Start Jal Gram Scheme in Every District Says Uma Bharti
- Our District-Our Water Programme to be Launched to take the Message of Water Conservation to Every Village of the Country-Uma Bharti
Ministry of Finance13-September, 2013 18:22 IST
|Income Tax Department Sends Letters to Another Batch of 35,000 Non-Filers to File Returns and Pay Taxes Thereon; Letters Issued in 2,45,000 Cases So Far |
|As part of a massive exercise to identify high risk non-filers of Income Tax returns and ask them to file returns and pay taxes thereon, the Income Tax Department has sent letters to another batch of 35,000 non-filers this week. These persons were part of around 12 lakh non-filers identified by the Department by mining its database. With this latest batch, the Department has now issued letters in 2,45,000 cases. |
In order to contact the taxpayers, who have shifted their address or have refused to receive the letter, the help of field formations in being sought. The assessing officers posted all over the country have been supplied the details of such taxpayers on an online monitoring system. The assessing officers have been asked to contact the taxpayer and persuade them file their return and pay due taxes.
As a result of this exercise, 3,44,365 returns have been received from the target segment. Such persons have also paid self assessment tax amounting to Rs 577 crore and advance tax of Rs. 408 crore. The Income Tax Department plans to pursue such cases vigorously to spread the message that while the Department is improving its taxpayer services to facilitate honest taxpayers, it also has the will to go after recalcitrant taxpayers. This exercise will continue till all potential non-filers are covered.
The Department now proposes to extend this exercise to persons who have conducted high value transactions during F.Y. 2010-11 and F.Y. 2011-12. It is also developing a dedicated module on the e-filing portal which will give details of returns not filed, ITR-V not submitted, demand not paid etc to individual taxpayer. The taxpayer can post his comments so that situation on such issues is crystallised. This will be one more step towards greater transparency and minimizing the grievance of tax payers.
(Release ID :99369)